R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-29-2004, 11:35 AM   #1
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)
Default Team Orion Revolution Motors, anyone tested yet?

Has anyone tested the new Revolution motors and has some dyno comparision numbers between these motors and the other makes ( Reedy, trinity, etc ).

Also, I heard they may be making a 19 turn spec and a stock motor, any more info on this? From what I have heard, these motor brushes last a REALLY long time between rebuilds, would be interested in these if the performance is up there with a KR motor.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 08:04 PM   #2
Tech Legend

no one has tested these?
Old 03-29-2004, 08:22 PM   #3
JRM
Tech Initiate

Default Yep.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cain
no one has tested these?
I hate to be a bbs nazi but try using the search .

Search "Revolution"

There is also some good info on Orion's boards.

I've been stoked with my v2 so far. Read up, don't overgear it, and it will treat you well.
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 05:28 AM   #4
Tech Legend

actually I did the search feature first and came back with basically over a 100 seperate threads. Going through a few of them none stated anything about dyno number comparisions to say a Reedy KR or something equivalent.

The main thing I hear about these motors is that the comm and brushes last ALONG TIME. I am loving my reedy 19 turn quad mag, but if this motor will provide longer wear than I am currently getting and I hear they are making a 19 turn and stock motor, I may just have to look into these.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:09 AM   #5
Tech Adept

that would be awesome if they made a stocker. it'd be cool to be onthe recieving end of new technology. it seems that mod gets all the cool stuff anyway, i still think thatd be really cool, so we non-mod people could get one of those trick endbells!
tc3rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 09:51 AM   #6
Tech Legend

Well, I know there are guys who do this board who have a real dyno, not some fantom crap, so if you got it and the motor, please post some numbers.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:55 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to True R/C Racing

fontom dyno is crap?
True R/C Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 12:51 PM   #8
Tech Legend

after speaking with big jim and others concerning what the dyno does and how it works, its basically crap.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:27 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have been running the revoolution motors sine i could get my hands on them a few months ago. I can do the same lap times and have just as much rip with a touring 10x1 as i would do running a regular core touring 8x1. I feel they are faster, but are much harder on the brush/comm life. I only get 1 run on a cut and set of brushes (big carpet track).
Old 03-30-2004, 07:37 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by rcracingkid
I have been running the revoolution motors sine i could get my hands on them a few months ago. I can do the same lap times and have just as much rip with a touring 10x1 as i would do running a regular core touring 8x1. I feel they are faster, but are much harder on the brush/comm life. I only get 1 run on a cut and set of brushes (big carpet track).
you're saying the new orion motors are hard on comms and brushes? i've read the opposite.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 07:51 PM   #11
Tech Addict

I let someone borrow my Jukka rev 10x1 for a 12th scale race. I put enduro brushes in it and made sure that it had soft springs. I set it to 6deg of timing and so far he has 27 runs on the motor. I have cut the comm twice, but it has the same brushes. I also let someone else run my touring edition 10x1 for a tc race. He burned up the brushes every run and I had to cut the comm every run. I found out that he uses a lot of drag brake and is too trigger happy. A smoother driver would be able to make it last longer.

As for dyno numbers, my buddy won't let me run it on his because he doesn't want it to wear down his slave motor's brushes. That's his excuse. All I know is that in both races, the 10x1 was running down 8x1's and 9x1 on the track. This motor is fast and if used right, very effecient.

Tim
Old 03-30-2004, 09:59 PM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Cain
after speaking with big jim and others concerning what the dyno does and how it works, its basically crap.

There's a full review on the XRC website.

As far as any dyno being crap that's a load of crap itself. Dyno's are for reference. If you use the same dyno to record the information thatn realistically every dyno offers some information. And since we don't race on dynos the only real truth is on the track. Why you would care what one persons motor pulls on a dyno is beyond me> It's more of Orion's commitment to quality that you can trust that if you buy one you won't be the slow car on the track.

I've been impressed everytime I run the V2. Very smooth and reduced comm wear.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:42 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to komkit Send a message via AIM to komkit Send a message via Yahoo to komkit

Awsome Motors, no question about it!

8x2 last me about 7-10 runs before I even open it up.

10x1 last me about 12 runs before I took it out from my Yokomo SD and put back right in my 1:12 scale and ran for 5 packs and it still in there. Will be running the same comm, brushes again this weekend.

When they said Enduro brushes will last about 10~30 runs... They really mean it!
Old 03-31-2004, 07:44 AM   #14
Tech Legend

Considering the fantom dyno favors motors that make high RPM in there caculations they are skewed to motors that do this instead of make power which is most important. My main reason to get some dyno numbers from people who have both the KR and the revolution for comparision is so we can get a feel of how the two motors stack up to each other. The track is the best test, but seeing some numbers as well gives a better overall picture.

If someone is really trigger happy with the brake, I can see the comm needing to be cut that often ( I was that way, burned up a Quad Mag arm in about 3 weeks before some guys let me know what not to do ) . Too much offroading in doors.

Thats really great to hear how good the motor is sounding. For me, having something that doesn't require servicing that much would really be great.

Has anyone heard any news about when they may release a 19 turn spec motor?
Old 03-31-2004, 08:02 AM   #15
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Anybody tried a stock arm(monster, mvp, p2k) in the revolution can?
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote