R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   COME ON TRAXXAS WAVE THAT MAGIC WAND AT ON ROAD!!! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/367507-come-traxxas-wave-magic-wand-road.html)

mrrcguy 02-04-2010 12:50 PM

COME ON TRAXXAS WAVE THAT MAGIC WAND AT ON ROAD!!!

Reading all the numerous threads about the need to spec this and that, have often lead to frustration for Im sure the majority of readers. Equally frustrating have been the many threads about how to improve entry levels and save struggling tracks.

For quite some time I have found myself coming to the same theory. I usually keep it to myself as I have doubted any likely support for the concept. With elements in racing being what they are, maybe now is the time.

I think TRAXXAS COULD DO MAGIC FOR ON ROAD RACING!!!

Picture this,

Slash Platform = Parts crossing over and availability would be great. The larger size seems to thrill most. This platform could also allow the races to be held on less than perfect surfaces. Any parking lot would work. Every hobby shop in every city could do demo races if they wished. This platform has also been one of the most cost effective things ever to hit racing.

Carry over the realism = Consumers have proven they dig the realism of SC trucks, VTA cars, & RCGT cars. Traxxas could fit right into the current trend of VTA and RCGT enthusiast with ease by creating their own class as they did for Short Course off road.

Traxxas has the power = There was a time when Traxxas was a joke to some or even most. That time has change big time. No one with a brain can deny that Traxxas is a massive force in this industry. They make incredible products and back them up with even better service. Just look at the explosion of products that came to life all spawning from the first time T-Maxxs hit the tracks. Its likely that this impact will never be out done. Then they follwed it up with the Slash! Not only is it huge in the manner that the T-Maxx was but we can wath full sized slashes on Speed Channel. lol

The Traxxas (inset name) RCGT & VTA RTR = Sign me up! Ill bet if this were to happen, asphalt and rug racers would see a "Traxxas Revolution" to call our own.

abailey21 02-04-2010 12:52 PM

As much as it pains me to say it.....

You might be onto something Q;)

mrrcguy 02-04-2010 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by abailey21 (Post 6956757)
As much as it pains me to say it.....

You might be onto something Q;)

;)

WheelNut 02-04-2010 12:57 PM

I'd have to agree. A realistic on-road car from Traxxas would make for a really fun spec class, just like Slash does! Maybe bring out a Ken Block Fiesta and a Pastrana STI. That would fit in with their current line up pretty good and would make tons of people interested, since Block's Gymkhana is one of the biggest videos ever on the net. I guess all we can do is sit here and hope Traxxas sees this thread, which might get the gears turning for their product developers.

mrrcguy 02-04-2010 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by WheelNut (Post 6956777)
I'd have to agree. A realistic on-road car from Traxxas would make for a really fun spec class, just like Slash does! Maybe bring out a Ken Block Fiesta and a Pastrana STI. That would fit in with their current line up pretty good and would make tons of people interested, since Block's Gymkhana is one of the biggest videos ever on the net. I guess all we can do is sit here and hope Traxxas sees this thread, which might get the gears turning for their product developers.

Yes, exactly!

I know that there will be people to say "it has already been done" but the point is, it has not been done by TRAXXAS!! :nod:

Cain 02-04-2010 01:22 PM

You never know. Right now seems some of the main issues people are complaining about fall back to overall cost versus being competitive.

Maybe if traxxas did make something that was highly cost effective as well as fun to drive and durable, could have something.

My question would be though, would it be by its nature to be cost effective a 2wd vehicle? And if so, would people accept that?

Running VTA, it would be pretty cool to have something along those lines.

bigger vehicles wouldn't bother me much either especially if the bodies are beefed up and tires last longer.

mrrcguy 02-04-2010 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cain (Post 6956874)
You never know. Right now seems some of the main issues people are complaining about fall back to overall cost versus being competitive.

Maybe if traxxas did make something that was highly cost effective as well as fun to drive and durable, could have something.

My question would be though, would it be by its nature to be cost effective a 2wd vehicle? And if so, would people accept that?

Running VTA, it would be pretty cool to have something along those lines.

bigger vehicles wouldn't bother me much either especially if the bodies are beefed up and tires last longer.

I have done some tuning on a Slash for asphalt and yeah I would go for it in 2wd. I have even considered getting an 1/8th scale IGT body for it to mess around with.

But on the subject of 2wd or 4wd. The 4wd Slash is also a bargain at about $360-$400 considering its Brushless, 2.4, waterproof, and 4wd.

SweepRacingUSA 02-04-2010 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by mrrcguy (Post 6956899)
I have done some tuning on a Slash for asphalt and yeah I would go for it in 2wd. I have even considered getting an 1/8th scale IGT body for it to mess around with.

But on the subject of 2wd or 4wd. The 4wd Slash is also a bargain at about $360-$400 considering its Brushless, 2.4, waterproof, and 4wd.

I suggested this while ago,
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ht=2wd+touring
there were 60:40 split opinions in that time,seem like some ppl are afraid of change, they keep bringing up why it wouldnt work before even give it a try. there is more than 12 Angry man in this world.

anyway, good post! here is a bump TTT!

Cain 02-04-2010 01:40 PM

I think the term "bargain" is very relative to how long you have been in RC and what funds you can draw on.

To those who this kind of vehicle would be an attraction to, it would need to be in the similar price range of the current 2wd SCTs RTR, assuming a similar 2wd setup.

Traxxas probably would do good to also get a lower CG chassis for it since it would be an onroad vehicle as well.

It may also be that some see WGT as what is going to help onroad since it is 2wd and cheaper relative to a 4wd touring car, at least, it appears to be.

Team Lotus 02-04-2010 01:45 PM

I am a diehard on-road fan and I race on-road; so I sincerely hope that Traxxas does indeed see this thread and develop an on-road car and offer it with some scale bodies such as some muscle cars, sports cars, classsic racing cars, etc.!!:)

However, now to reality; I seriously doubt that they will as off-road "play-in-the-dirt" is all the rage and has been for a few years now and shows no sign of letting up. The off-road crowd has won and we on-road fans are probably going to have to be content with what we have.:(

We have to remember that Traxxas is first and foremost a business and they are therefore going to produce "safe" products that they know will sell and turn a profit, and so long as the other manufacturers and the rc magazines continue to favor off-road then not much is going to change I'm afraid:(
and the majority of the buying public will just go along with it.

So, I hope that I'm wrong but I just had to be honest. I have written several emails to different manufacturers and all the rc magazines and most have replied and are not willing to change with regards to how they are going about things. They all are quick to remind me that they are in business to turn a profit and off-road is where the money is, not on-road; so there is little or no motivation to develop much in the way of new on-road products.

The best thing you ALL can do is write Traxxas an email and tell them what you want; don't just talk about it here in this forum; get out there and write them. Maybe if enough of us did that then they might listen!

Quite frankly your best bet for new affordable on-road product is HPI as they are based in Japan which has a large on-road base and as such they are the ones who each year introduce some new on-road vehicles such as the Cup Racer, the Switch, the F10, etc. I have emailed them with suggestions and received positive responses! Traxxas, Losi, Associated are all based in America and over here dirt is king!

Cain 02-04-2010 01:48 PM

didn't HPI at one time have a larger scale sedan? Don't recall its name, but I do remember it.

Mac The Knife 02-04-2010 01:57 PM

Traxxas already did that, plastic tub chassis, direct drive, 2wd, independent suspension front and rear, oil filled shocks, and a ball diff. It was called the Street Sport.

Cain 02-04-2010 02:01 PM

I have been looking at bit at this:

http://www.rjspeed.com/kits/Sport/2020.html

http://www.rjspeed.com/images/images...8-2020kitj.jpg

http://www.rjspeed.com/images/images/Kits/2020feats.jpg

didn't look bad for $150.

InspGadgt 02-04-2010 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mac The Knife (Post 6957023)
Traxxas already did that, plastic tub chassis, direct drive, 2wd, independent suspension front and rear, oil filled shocks, and a ball diff. It was called the Street Sport.

And it was a piece of junk. The tires that came with it looked more like airplane tires and worked horribly.

SweepRacingUSA 02-04-2010 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cain (Post 6957040)

that look like a car from Bolink.

IMO waht we need is a 2WD car with modern independent suspensions on rubber tires.