Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
COME ON TRAXXAS WAVE THAT MAGIC WAND AT ON ROAD!!! >

COME ON TRAXXAS WAVE THAT MAGIC WAND AT ON ROAD!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COME ON TRAXXAS WAVE THAT MAGIC WAND AT ON ROAD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Exactly...a Slash BASED car...not a direct car migration of a Slash with an on-road body slapped on it. Many parts would carry over but the chassis and some suspension components would need a redesign.
It's totally possible. Let's see, new suspension arms, new shocks, new drive shafts, new shock tower, new chassis... wait, what car was this again?
Old 02-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Tech Champion

No...gearbox, arms, drive trane, all that could be reused. Much of the shock would stay the same in design but just get shorter. New shock mounts would be needed and a lowered chassis. Oh and of course on-road style wheels, tires and body.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mpboost
Anyone remember the RC10DS?

This was basically the associated version of what you are talking about. It looks like a RC10 with shorter suspension arms, shorter shocks, and on road tires (It came with a Mercedes DTM body or a Camaro body).

But back to the point, yes it would be great if Traxxas brought out a 2wd on-road type car.
yes, that's funny coz I uesd a SC10 as sample picture on my thread and my blog
http://dajohnwee.blogspot.com/2009/12/2wd-tc-to-save-class.html

problem for the SC10 was price car didnt have full functional TC suspension and price diffrence against a TC in that time wasnt big enough to attract anyone, or sghould we say TC was Healthy in that time.

not only 2WD TC is lower in cost it also carries less traction which requires less HP but more in driving skill, of cos simpler layout and less wear and tear could be expected as 2WD off road does.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by inpuressa
And further embed the notion of RC as mere "toys" and not a hobby.
Sorry to insult your sport of HIGHLY BRED RADIO CONTROLLED SCALE AUTO'S.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redbones
It's totally possible. Let's see, new suspension arms, new shocks, new drive shafts, new shock tower, new chassis... wait, what car was this again?
Have you messed with a Slash much? I have and with very little work they are a ton of fun on a road course especially asphalt. Last time I had mine out I can assure you that if it had a on road "car" body on it anyone would have easily been convinced that it was a purposed built road racer.

Dont get it twisted here I dont in any way work for or represent Traxxas. Im not a Traxxas collector or anything like that.

However, I have been in this industry for a long time and owned a hobby shop for nearly ten years. I currently run a track and race for TOP USA, so if anything Im just putting this out there for the good of all involved.

I can assure you that if Traxxas took this on and had success anything like the success of there previous ground breakers, the positive impact to tracks world wide and the companies currently with interest in those tracks would all benefit greatly.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mpboost
Anyone remember the RC10DS?
Yes, in post #29.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

This was clipped from another thread on a different topic, but I thought it was a nice fit here.

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
So, you're basically saying we need a Slash for the on-road crowd. Only this time, something that multiple vendors can make (along with a common power package) that the hobbyist can bash on the street at home, but also race at a regular track. The HPI Flux 2 is close, only the powerplant isn't really useful if one decides to move up.

Something like a RTR VTA car (with a USVTA legal ESC/motor) would be a great start. They also need to come with some form of 2.4GHz radio so you can run more than 6 at a time without having to upgrade the radio immediately.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Tech Regular

They are mere toys. Something the offroad guys have accepted and are OK with and are having a blast racing RTR toys...both bad things in your book, right? Somebody tell those Slash guys to stop having so much fun with the toys they didn't build...they're liable to make the track remain open for years to come...
Old 02-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

I'm not doubting you can make a slash work on-road. But the reason why the slash came big was because it hit a new market of scale "short course". What would be the new market to hit with on-road? It cannot be the same market that is already saturated with the other RTRs out there. Tamiya/HPI already dominates the on-road scale racing scene. Yokomo has the drifting scene locked down, so what's left?
Old 02-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Old Tech
They are mere toys. Something the offroad guys have accepted and are OK with and are having a blast racing RTR toys...both bad things in your book, right? Somebody tell those Slash guys to stop having so much fun with the toys they didn't build...they're liable to make the track remain open for years to come...
Demographics has changed from the "Let's learn the basics" to "I want instant gratification". The less involved you are, the easier it is to leave also. I see threads asking why RC is not as strong as it used to be, and my answer to that is people don't have any passion for their cars. Call me crazy or whatever, but it's that passion that made motorsports what it is now, and RC is no different from that fundamental belief. My only wish is that those RTR users will one day stop taking their cars to the shop for minor repairs and actually do it on their own. That will hopefully give them a different kind of gratification.

Getting back to subject, what on road niche should traxxas pursue?
Old 02-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

anyone have the skill then to see about making an onroad custom Slash? After seeing some of the things people come up with here on the boards, someone should be able to do it.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
Reading all the numerous threads about the need to spec this and that, have often lead to frustration for Im sure the majority of readers. Equally frustrating have been the many threads about how to improve entry levels and save struggling tracks.

For quite some time I have found myself coming to the same theory. I usually keep it to myself as I have doubted any likely support for the concept. With elements in racing being what they are, maybe now is the time.

I think TRAXXAS COULD DO MAGIC FOR ON ROAD RACING!!!

Picture this,

Slash Platform = Parts crossing over and availability would be great. The larger size seems to thrill most. This platform could also allow the races to be held on less than perfect surfaces. Any parking lot would work. Every hobby shop in every city could do demo races if they wished. This platform has also been one of the most cost effective things ever to hit racing.

Carry over the realism = Consumers have proven they dig the realism of SC trucks, VTA cars, & RCGT cars. Traxxas could fit right into the current trend of VTA and RCGT enthusiast with ease by creating their own class as they did for Short Course off road.

Traxxas has the power = There was a time when Traxxas was a joke to some or even most. That time has change big time. No one with a brain can deny that Traxxas is a massive force in this industry. They make incredible products and back them up with even better service. Just look at the explosion of products that came to life all spawning from the first time T-Maxxs hit the tracks. Its likely that this impact will never be out done. Then they follwed it up with the Slash! Not only is it huge in the manner that the T-Maxx was but we can wath full sized slashes on Speed Channel. lol

The Traxxas (inset name) RCGT & VTA RTR = Sign me up! Ill bet if this were to happen, asphalt and rug racers would see a "Traxxas Revolution" to call our own.
Originally Posted by abailey21
As much as it pains me to say it.....

You might be onto something Q
+1
Old 02-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

The SC10 would be a good platform, all you would need is shorter shocks and towers, tires and body
Old 02-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Old Tech
Yes, in post #29.
I'm slow at posting............. I can guarantee it took me 10mins from the time I hit reply to the time I hit submit (which would cover the 4min difference in our posts)
Old 02-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Tech Regular

Great more RTRs. Like slowly adding poison to your food.
Umm...get over yourselves. We race toy cars.

EDIT: I just noticed that these are both the same guy...lol. Still...get over it!

Last edited by dietDrThunder; 02-05-2010 at 10:38 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.