Adding LEDs to TL01...ideas? >

Adding LEDs to TL01...ideas?

Adding LEDs to TL01...ideas?

Old 02-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Adding LEDs to TL01...ideas?

hi folks,

I'm looking to add LED headlights to some Tamiya TL01s and was wondering if anyone out there has a good link to directions on how to go about doing so or a good tutorial on doing so.

Also, if anyone happens to have a spare battery holder for a TL01, please pm me.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Have a look on eBay, theres loads of people selling pre-made light kits with any number of LEDs that you'll want. Pretty much all of them run from a 9v battery, so you just take them from the packet and mount them in the body.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
Old 02-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks I'll look into these...out of curiousity has anyone built these without a kit?
Old 02-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sun_dance
Thanks I'll look into these...out of curiousity has anyone built these without a kit?
Done it a bunch of times. I get my LEDs online but there are multiple places both online and brick and mortor to get the LEDs. The real key is figuring out the right resistance. For that you either need to be good with your electrical engineering formulas or find a "LED resistance calculator" using your prefered search engine.

I plug into my reciever and use the 6 volts from that. The actual lights can be shoo-goo'd into the body or mounted on a scrap of lexan in a position to shine through.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

For lazy people like me, Tamiya sells the TLU-01 control unit (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMGB0&P=7). This is a basic unit with 2 white LEDs and 2 Red LEDs (headlights/brakes). You can add addtional LEDs as needed

Here is a short video on Youtube showing the operation of the TLU-02 unit which allows add additional controls to the TLU-01.(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG5PmQs-O8U)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.