R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Jaco Blue "Rubberz" maintenance

Hello All

I recently converted to rubber on my tc5. I am using Jaco "blue" compound. My question(s) are:

1. what is the best way to prep the tire? I am using Jack tire sauce.
a. i am currently doing 100% of the tire f/r and sitting about 25 mins.
2. should i clean them before re - prep? if so with what?
3. when the car comes off the track, i there is a buildup of a black compound on the tire? What is this? how to i stop it as it is affecting the performance of the car?
a. the track recently went from open tire sauce (ie jack, trinity, paragon) to mandating only Jack. Could the mixed compounds be causing this weird pick up.

Please and thank you for your help

John
RCRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCRIOT View Post
Hello All

I recently converted to rubber on my tc5. I am using Jaco "blue" compound. My question(s) are:

1. what is the best way to prep the tire? I am using Jack tire sauce.
a. i am currently doing 100% of the tire f/r and sitting about 25 mins.
2. should i clean them before re - prep? if so with what?
3. when the car comes off the track, i there is a buildup of a black compound on the tire? What is this? how to i stop it as it is affecting the performance of the car?
a. the track recently went from open tire sauce (ie jack, trinity, paragon) to mandating only Jack. Could the mixed compounds be causing this weird pick up.

Please and thank you for your help

John

You made a good choice on the tire as that is whats being spec'd at most races.

1.Answer: You will find your going to need to run them in awhile until the seam line in the center is all but gone. I normally use jack and let it sit for the length of the heat before mine or 5 mins. As far as how much of the tire you apply the compound to will be determind by the tracition on the track and your setup. I use 100% rear and 100% front until the traction comes up and the generally i will run jack on the inside half of the front.

2. Answer: During practice I generally dont clean the tires alot. Before the first heat I clean them by spraying motor spray on a towel and wipping them off until they feel clean. then I re apply make jack.

3. Answer: Well this apart of carpet racing really..The compound is basically foam,rubber,carpet grime and traction compound. generally just use the motor spray like I spoke about above and clean the tires. As far as it affecting the handeling well again thats part of it the only way to limit it is to stay in the driving groove any time you over shoot a corner or get out of the groove you are gonna pick more up..If your track changes there layout alot your gonna just have to have patients and run alot of slow practice laps and start a groove in the carpet just as in automotive racing the velocity of the cars will push the junk to the side of the groove.

4. Answer: Yes somtimes there are wierd effects to a track when a compound changes is made but what your talking about is normal...There are several theroies about cleaning your track...But what I will tell you is that your track needs to be swept at least once every 2 weeks to get the junk up its best to run a magnet over it once a week to get the screws and body clips up...Try to have a couple sets of jaco blues run in and rotate them for me this helps to keep the car more consistent and the tires.

Hope this helps and good luck
Old 02-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I imagine you'll get a lot of different answers. My routine is:

1. Clean tires after every single run no matter how clean/dirty with lighter fluid (or motor spray.)
2. Sauce 5-10 minutes. Inside 1/2 to 1/3 of the front tire.
3. Race!

I don't know what causes the buildup on the tires, but I wish I did. I can be the only person on our track, and at the start of the day I can't finish 6 minutes 'cause the buildup is so bad, and a few hours later I'm doing my best laps ever and feel like a king. It seems to be predicated upon a lot of factors, and I can't quite nail down what they are. If the problem persists, though, sometimes using a softer spring all around helps me. I think there might be some correlation with tire temp. Also, NEVER let your car get out of the groove, especially with warm tires.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i put mine on the tire truer and sand that seam off. to doesnt take much.

my routine is that same as syndr0me's i dont get much of a build up. depending on how green the track is i will put the warmers on for a few minutes before the race...
Old 02-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

You shouldn't use motor spray to clean a tire. It's denatured alcohol and doesn't have any oil in it. It closes the pores of the rubber and reduces the effectiveness of whatever traction compound you're using by drying out the tire and taking the oil out of it. You should clean a tire with a petroleum based solvent that opens the pores of the tires, like Buggy Grip.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
Tech Regular

wd40?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

WD40 is very good. It's almost 90% petroleum based oil. You're looking for something that's going to penetrate into the rubber, and also add oil to the tire. Diesel fuel, tuolene, benzene, oil of wintergreen, etc all work well.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

I use Simple Green, makes the tires clean & sticky.

Motor Spray will make the rubber softer, a trick used in off-road, spray the tires with motor spray and put them in a ziplock for a hour.

Rojna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I have been using whaterver traction compound is being used by the track to clean the tires after a heat. Aplly a little Jack, wipe clean and then reapply and let it evaporate. I was wiping them off before the run but found that the tires took too long to come up to a good grip. Once I starting letting is sit and just rolling slowly around the track in the groove before the heat, they come in a lot quicker. Not sure why but it seems to work.
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

I thought when you got build up on the outside or any part of your tire it meant that you are pushing through the corners. "Pushing" though the corners will most of the time get you out of the groove anyways leading to the chunky build up on your tire. I use it to "tune" my car in a way. It is usually found when I first try a new setup on a car. I dont think you you will ever turn good laps when your tires gunk up they will just not be consistent at all.

Dont use motor spray.

Also make sure the side walls on your tires are always glued up. It will extremely effect the way your car handles in the corners. Check them often. Having two sets or more can really help.

Let the compound sit for as long as possible. I clean my tires after every run when I am done cornering. I plug in my battery then clean and sauce my tires. ( I sometimes sauce twice)

Keep you tires clean all the time and in a sealable bag when you are not racing them.

Good luck
Chris
Chris [email protected]
Tha Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:37 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

keep them fresh by putting in a ziploc bag with a shot or to of wd40, works on rc and go kart slicks
Team Losi 8ight-T 2.0 // Team Losi 8ight-e 2.0 // Team losi /Novarossi Nitrotec r21 .21 // Futaba servos // Airtronics m11 // Coldfusion fuel // Fastlane Graphix // Ready Rollers Bearings // Reo Raceway // BCE Products
Nickd18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickd18 View Post
keep them fresh by putting in a ziploc bag with a shot or to of wd40, works on rc and go kart slicks
I'd assume you'd wipe them down before going out!
captain stacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #13
Tech Regular

yes i would wipe them off before my race or before i put the car on the track.

Thanks to everyone for your info and help so far

John