Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
T.O.P. Racing Sabre FD chassis >

T.O.P. Racing Sabre FD chassis

T.O.P. Racing Sabre FD chassis

Old 10-20-2012, 07:07 AM
  #106  
Tech Master
 
heretic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: europe
Posts: 1,110
Default

Hey guys, since this car is not popular I was wondering if any of you knew about a place that gets rid of them at a low price ? I want to buy one new but I don't want to pay that much... I'm not going to run the car much anyway, more of a curiosity thing. Thanks !
heretic is offline  
Old 01-06-2013, 09:55 PM
  #107  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
zephuros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 237
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Hey guys! I'm sure you've heard - the Sabre FD2 is out now. Looks pretty awesome. Go have a look on the TOP website. I've already ordered mine. Should be here by the end of the week.

The motor sits way up front now like the FF03 and the Serpent. Should be a lot better than the FD since the gearing options are now a lot better. I'll share the build experience as soon as the car comes in... am kinda kicking myself in the a$$ now coz i just bought my FF03 carbon chassis upgrade set and not even a week later the FD is out on sale. Ah well, at least I can now put them head-to-head on the track and see what happens
zephuros is offline  
Old 01-26-2013, 05:49 PM
  #108  
Tech Master
 
heretic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: europe
Posts: 1,110
Default

Hi, yeah the FD2 seems already available and will probably need a thread of its own since it's such a different car. As far as I'm concerned I just built my FD ( well, that was several weeks ago already) and I'm delighted I bought one before they became completely unavailable. I actually fell in love with it because of the mid-motor factor, so it's cool.

As for the build, there are many areas which I felt required improvements, the build in itself is easy but some areas really need to be taken care of before even contemplating trying the car. Not sure when I will have the time and motivation to do it though ( sigh) ...

I noticed the suspension holders are drilled la Tamiya/HB with the option of running split blocks, now that's a neat idea. I'm pretty sure they took the screw pattern from one of these two cars but not sure which. I thought maybe HB since the Scythe was using HB suspension parts ? The reason I'm asking is of course because Sabre parts are kind of hard to come by, much more than HB or Tamiya in my area anyway. So did any of you actually try to fit susp. blocks from other brands?
heretic is offline  
Old 06-16-2013, 03:45 PM
  #109  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (101)
 
Big Midget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lawrence, Ks
Posts: 4,368
Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default

Any idea's on where to buy a Sabre FD or FD2?
Big Midget is offline  
Old 06-16-2013, 11:53 PM
  #110  
Tech Master
iTrader: (60)
 
alestin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NSW, North Kellyville
Posts: 1,402
Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)
Default

Guys,

I am new to this Sabre FD Kit (not the version 2).

Need to seek some veteran advice on how to determine the FDR (Final Drive Ratio).

Default Gear Diff - 39T
Spur Gear - Unknown nor indicated in the Instruction Manual
FDR (Final Drive Ratio) - ???

From the looks of the stock Spur Gear, it requires AV Pinion.
Intend to run it with a 13.5T brushless with Turbo Boost on HobbyWing XERUN (Config is embedded below)

What suitable Pinion should I required?

If you guys have an optimized setup for ESC & Car Setup, kindly share with me.

Thank you

Controller:CAR_ESC
hardware version:HW427_V1.0
software version:V3.0_110119STOCK

**********************************************Sett ing**********************************************
[Profile/Mode No.]
Mode 0

[Profile Name]
TOP Sabre 13.5T

[Running Mode]
Forward Only with Brake(*)(+) Forward/Reverse with Brake Forward/Reverse Direct

[Drag Brake Force]
0%(*) 5% 10%
15%(+) 20% 25%
30% 100% Custom

[Low Voltage Cut-Off]
Non-Protection 2.6V/Cell 2.8V/Cell
3.0V/Cell(*) 3.2V/Cell(+) 3.4V/Cell
Custom

["DDRS" Start Mode]
Level 1 Level 2 Level 3
Level 4 Level 5 Level 6
Level 7 Level 8 Level 9(*)(+)

[Maximum Brake Force]
12.5% 25%(+) 37.5%
50%(*) 62.5% 75%
87.5% 100%

[Maximum Reverse Force]
25%(*)(+) 50% 75%
100%

[Initial Brake Force]
=Drag Brake Force(+) 0%(*) 20%
40%

[Neutral Range]
6%(Narrow)(*)(+) 9%(Normal) 12%(Wide)

[Turbo Open Time]
3 deg/0.1sec 6 deg/0.1sec 12 deg/0.1sec
18 deg/0.1sec(*)(+) 24 deg/0.1sec Fastest

[Over-Heat Protection]
Enable(*)(+) Disable

[Boost Start RPM]
1000 rpm 2000 rpm 3000 rpm
4000 rpm(*) 5000 rpm 6000 rpm
7000 rpm 8000 rpm 9000 rpm(+)
10000 rpm 11000 rpm 12000 rpm
13000 rpm 14000 rpm 15000 rpm

[Turbo Open Delay]
Off 0.1 sec 0.2 sec(+)
0.3 sec(*) 0.4 sec 0.5 sec
0.6 sec 0.7 sec 0.8 sec
alestin is offline  
Old 06-17-2013, 07:40 AM
  #111  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
zephuros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 237
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Big Midget,

Not sure if you can still find these around for sale now that the FD2 is out for sale. Having said that, the FD2 is a far superior car because of the balance and gearing options. I have both and almost never run the older car these days. If you want an FD2 however I think you can still get them from RC Market, which is where mine came from :-)

Alestin, the internal ratio for the FD is 3.134, which is the same as the M-chassis from Tamiya. You're also right about the gears being AV or metric 48 pitch... A bit of a bugger too since it isn't easy to fit large pinions in there. The standard spur there is a 37, but you should be able to go down to a 33 or a 35 from the Ride Fast Gear set for the M chassis. Note tho that these are soft plastic and stones and dirt will chew them up pretty quick.

Good luck
zephuros is offline  
Old 06-17-2013, 10:13 AM
  #112  
Tech Elite
 
odpurple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,192
Default

Originally Posted by Big Midget View Post
Any idea's on where to buy a Sabre FD or FD2?
Sabre FD and FD2 kits are in stock at TOP Racing USA

[email protected]

650-583-8898
odpurple is offline  
Old 06-17-2013, 10:17 AM
  #113  
Tech Master
iTrader: (60)
 
alestin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NSW, North Kellyville
Posts: 1,402
Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)
Default

May I know how do you calculate the gear ratio for this kit?

Normally for 4WD, we use spur / pinion * FDR.

In this case, what should be the case?

Btw I thought AV Pinion is smaller than 48P? Is the below statement true?
(AV range which are sometimes referred to as 0.6 pitch. This means 0.6mm between the teeth. This converts to 42.33 teeth per inch, so it might work with a 48 pitch pinion, but it will almost certainly be very noisey and inefficient.)


Originally Posted by zephuros View Post
Big Midget,

Not sure if you can still find these around for sale now that the FD2 is out for sale. Having said that, the FD2 is a far superior car because of the balance and gearing options. I have both and almost never run the older car these days. If you want an FD2 however I think you can still get them from RC Market, which is where mine came from :-)

Alestin, the internal ratio for the FD is 3.134, which is the same as the M-chassis from Tamiya. You're also right about the gears being AV or metric 48 pitch... A bit of a bugger too since it isn't easy to fit large pinions in there. The standard spur there is a 37, but you should be able to go down to a 33 or a 35 from the Ride Fast Gear set for the M chassis. Note tho that these are soft plastic and stones and dirt will chew them up pretty quick.

Good luck
alestin is offline  
Old 06-21-2013, 04:12 PM
  #114  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (2)
 
fkmliu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California, Walnut
Posts: 72
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by odpurple View Post
Sabre FD and FD2 kits are in stock at TOP Racing USA

[email protected]

650-583-8898
Wow, that's good to know, I hope you guys also carry the TOP Mini Sabre as well, I got one but hard to get parts in the US. Bummer!
fkmliu is offline  
Old 06-22-2013, 01:11 PM
  #115  
Tech Elite
 
odpurple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,192
Default

Originally Posted by fkmliu View Post
Wow, that's good to know, I hope you guys also carry the TOP Mini Sabre as well, I got one but hard to get parts in the US. Bummer!
We carry parts for all T.O.P. kits, including the Sabre FD Mini
odpurple is offline  
Old 09-05-2013, 10:39 PM
  #116  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
zephuros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 237
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Hey guys, anyone moved from an FD to the FD2 yet? Is there a thread somewhere here that i can refer to?
zephuros is offline  
Old 11-12-2013, 11:48 PM
  #117  
Tech Elite
 
t4m1y4niac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,310
Default

guys.anyone know what is the internal drive ratio Sabre FD2???
t4m1y4niac is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 02:27 AM
  #118  
Tech Master
 
heretic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: europe
Posts: 1,110
Default

Originally Posted by alestin View Post
May I know how do you calculate the gear ratio for this kit?

Normally for 4WD, we use spur / pinion * FDR.

In this case, what should be the case?

Btw I thought AV Pinion is smaller than 48P? Is the below statement true?
(AV range which are sometimes referred to as 0.6 pitch. This means 0.6mm between the teeth. This converts to 42.33 teeth per inch, so it might work with a 48 pitch pinion, but it will almost certainly be very noisy and inefficient.)

In my experience,

0.6 is much bigger than 48dp , though smaller than 32dp.
0.5 is a tiny bit bigger than 48dp -and you guessed right: you will manage to get a car around the track combining the two but the noise will be terrible.
0.4 is very similar to 64 pitch and I know some people use them indistinctively. Never tried it first-hand though.

As for the FDR of the Sabre, with a little bit of logic and teeth-counting I'm sure you'll manage to calculate it. Or you can take zephuros' word and use 3.134.
heretic is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 06:05 PM
  #119  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
zephuros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 237
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Sabre FD2 FDR

Originally Posted by t4m1y4niac View Post
guys.anyone know what is the internal drive ratio Sabre FD2???
2.4375:1
zephuros is offline  
Old 11-26-2013, 04:46 PM
  #120  
Tech Elite
 
t4m1y4niac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,310
Default

Originally Posted by zephuros View Post
2.4375:1
thanks a lot
t4m1y4niac is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.