R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-26-2004, 01:29 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Cardboard
I got a dud monster stock, what can I do?

Ok, i bought a monster stock pro to race in the novice stock class a few months ago. I've had nothing but problems with it, very slow, little torque, practically fries itself after about half a run, ill-fitting bushings, and brushes that are wearing out very fast. I've always just looked past this things as minor break-in problems(after all, it's only been used for 3 race days after correcting the bushings), but, when I heard someone mentioned dud monsters having less than 21,800 rpm and 99 Nmm of torque, I looked on the motor label. Here are it's numbers:
RPM:21,554
Power:66w
Eff:48.8%
Torque:98.3
Is there anything I can do about this sub-par motor? Or should I just buy another?
Cardboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 02:05 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Turn the comm, oil the bushings, use the right brush springs, and try a smaller pinion gear.

However, you should have looked at that dyno sheet before paying for it, if it was LHS. Is it a Trin. motor, or a tuners motor?
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 02:13 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Cardboard

I bought it from tower, so i really didn't have a chance at looking at the sticker....
It's straight from trinity. but dosen't trinity put the motor in the packaging so you can't see the sticker neways?
I'll get the comm trued tommorrow and see how it works then. thanks.
Cardboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 02:16 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default dud!!

you can re cut it , put new brushes in it and do the trail edge trim thing .. run green/reds springs re align the hoods and re shim the arm .. use 4499 double shunt brushes and see if that helps .. I do more to a dud motor and there pretty good .. for a few runs . then use them for practice ....

Last edited by mb racer; 03-27-2004 at 02:07 PM.
mb racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 02:26 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

ive never had a dud motor yet send it here and ill see if i can fix it
Old 03-26-2004, 03:00 PM   #6
Tech Master

Are you gearing it right? You should be running an absolute minimum 7.0:1 fgr, but more likely somewhere in the 7.2:1 -> 7.8:1 range.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 03:35 PM   #7
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Align the brushes.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 05:14 PM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by fatdoggy
Align the brushes.
Brush HOODs. . .
Tek Nickal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 05:54 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to DT-Skyline Send a message via Yahoo to DT-Skyline Send a message via Skype™ to DT-Skyline

Could it be the batteries?
DT-Skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 06:59 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by AzNDRAGster
Brush HOODs. . .
No brushes, if you just align the hoods the brushes still have some cock value inside the hoods which causes the brushes not to be perfectly aligned. Aligning the hoods gets it close but to get it perfect you have to align the brushes by taking the hoods slightly OUT of alignment. Cut a brush square and run it in your motor, it should wear perfectly in the middle of the brush.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:13 PM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by fatdoggy
No brushes, if you just align the hoods the brushes still have some cock value inside the hoods which causes the brushes not to be perfectly aligned. Aligning the hoods gets it close but to get it perfect you have to align the brushes by taking the hoods slightly OUT of alignment. Cut a brush square and run it in your motor, it should wear perfectly in the middle of the brush.
Yeah, and if its unalligned you move the brush hood. . . . . There have been brush hood allignment tools but that don't work very well . . . .
Tek Nickal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 07:25 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Yes but you are aligning the brushes by moving the hoods. You actually need to UNalign the hoods to align the brushes.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:01 AM   #13
Tech Rookie

Fatdoggy is correct. When the arm spins it wants to cock the brushes in the direction the arm is spinning. THerefore the hoods many times have to be tweaked in opposite directions to counteract the slight cocking of the brushes. If the brushes are worn alot they will cock more in the hoods due to not being as long and not being held as straight in the hoods. If you just use one of those alignment tools your not doing much. You need to read the brush faces and move the hoods accordingly. Takes a little bit but its worth it.
ddesens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 01:30 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Fatdoggy and ddesens are on the money you've got to use the square brush face method fatdoggy mentioned. Also when you get a new motor run the armature shaft on some 2000 grit sandpaper for a minute with some very mild polishing compound. It definitely helps the motor spool up a little quicker.
Masterfaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 09:03 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Default I got a dud monster stock, what can I do?

Cardboard;

Take a look at the number and size of balancing holes drilled into the Armature.

Because they have so few laminations in the Armature stack, they actually perform better with -0- balancing holes. (notice something on the Binary Stocks) The more of and larger the balancing holes, the slower your Monster Stock will be.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote