R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-30-2004, 02:55 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Cardboard

ok, it was geared around the 6.73 mark. I'll use a smaller pinion when I go back.
I'll get it trued tommorrow, and i'll install the 4499 dual shunt brushes, but how do you align them? i wasn't following-do you need a rectanglular brush to set it?
Also, should I stick with the stock brush setup or go a bit softer? i'm kinda hesistant to go softer because I race on a tight track.
thanks...
Cardboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 03:08 PM   #17
Tech Regular

I've never quite understood the reason behind aligning the brushes. It seems to me that if the brushes are slightly cocked, it will adversely affect performance at first, but once the brushes wear down and seat themselves, it won't make much difference if they are off a couple mils in either direction. Additionally, if the brush were at a slight angle, it would give more contact area. While it might cause a little bit more friction, it would also yeild more area for current to flow through.

I'm probably dead wrong on this, but if anyone can explain why, I'd be interested to hear their explaination.
Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 03:10 PM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Do everything this website tells you to and you should have an ok runing motor.

http://www.motortuningsecrets.com/tunestockmotor.html

There is always a chance you just bought a real dog of a motor.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 03:21 PM   #19
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Griffin - I'm not sure if this is right but. If the brush isn't perpendicular it causes drag, becuase as well as the brushing pressing foward onto the comm you also have some side pressure and more heat. Having brushes that arn't aligned can also cause hung brushes as well as extending comm wear during break-in.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote