R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Angry Serpent S400 front wheels jumping on full lock

Hi, i have been out of racing for several years and have just got myself a S400, the problem i have with it is that when the wheels are on full lock they jump around and want to go in a more straight line as on full lock there seems to be somthing not right and i have stripped the teeth on a servo, i found that one of the cvd shafts were broken and have replaced both sides however this seems to have cured it by around 75% but is far from perfect, im at my wit end as to why the wheels jump and somthimd seems to be stopping them now and again as more force is required than i would expect but i just cant find anything wrong with it, if anybody has had the same happen to them or know why this could be happening please can you post a thread this would be so much help to me, thank you.
redbhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

It sounds like you are experiencing "chatter", articulating the driveshaft beyond it's workable limit. Even though it can articulate to full steering lock while sitting still, the rotating limit is a bit less than full lock. The double pinned driveshafts like the Losi LCD mitigate this issue.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Thank you for your reply, i hadnt thought of this but now you mention it it certainly makes sense, thank you again, Martin.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

yes chatter is the reason for this but as far as the servo you may have your endpoins off and need to set them so you do not overwork the servo.
TRXRACER99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRXRACER99 View Post
yes chatter is the reason for this but as far as the servo you may have your endpoins off and need to set them so you do not overwork the servo.
What model TX you're useing. You probably have to adjust the EPA(end point adjustment). 100% is way too much. Start out at 50% and adjust from there, or when the servo stops chatting and buzzing. Left and right turn maybe different.

Where did you find the S400? Part are very scarce on the model. If you can find replacement parts for it you are lucky.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:56 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

more of s400 problems can be discuss here

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...highlight=s400

as for parts, ther r lists of compatible parts can be found at above link too...

1) check EPA setting.
2) if u r running very tide wheel width then maybe the cvd n the spool outdrives might not have enough tolorence hence bearking either the cvd or the outdrives
3) it's very usual that it chatter a bit (most spools do the same), ETS/DUJ/Losi solve most of it... ther's a SPEC R unit that fit 416 can fit into S400 too... i haven't got time to try that out yet...

good luck..!
Old 02-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

Hi as for parts i have been lucky to get them so far, i have a few that came with it, however i know parts are getting hard to get for them and sooner or later the end will come, but if push comes to shove try model shops in the rest of europe, i know its postage on top but so fat i have seen several with limited spared available, plus what the other people have said parts from other cars do fit sometimes like the drive shafts, try using Tamiya TRF 415 52mm in total length will get you back on the track.

Tags
jumping wheels, serpent s400