R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-26-2010, 04:53 AM   #91
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Ok gear ratios

get a spur addaptor from JET products or JET preccission if you can then problem solved

I've been running the 42 diff rear and 41 spool up front in my xxxs for sometime now
it seemed too help pull the front thru the corners better ( been having rear traction probs this helped alot) tho I'm gonna try some changes an maybe go back to. A 42 front spool just too see

but I never noticed any loss of speed or accel with my car if anything I gained

sway bars - I got mine from stormers- good luck findind fronts bit rears were easy too get, I just carefully bent the rears a bit an they fitted the front no problems. I'm actually about too try sway bars front an rear again soon only ever tried a front one before never a rear. Always been told never run jus one sooooo I'll try this out see if I can improve the car a bit

hope this helps
ASSociated RC12L4
T.O.P PHOTON EX & Tamiya M05 - currently undergoing rigorous crash testing!
paraletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:22 AM   #92
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hi All. Got in touch with Jet Hobby. They only have 1 of the spur adaptors left. Precision rc might have more.

We'll be racing again this weekend so I'll get more experience with the spool. I'm running 42 pulleys front and back. As I've said....I'm acyually surprised how well the spool worked for me given that we run shorter, more technical layouts. Spools typically are supposed to work best with more flowing turns rather than quick 180's.
Well, thats exactly the case....last weekends track design was EXTREMELY technical with lots of switchbacks. I quickly realised the limitations of the spool. Drivable yes but I was losing time in turns because I had to back off the throttle so much. Lots of understeer if I didnt. Had to dial up steering epa just to help. So I now know that tight and technical isn't so bad ...it just depends on the design. Flowing curves suit the spool best. Chicanes and tight 180's do not. This weekend we'll open it up a little so I'll stick with the spool. I'm also installing my 17.5 so that will be be quite different. I've been running a 21.5 for the last 2 club days.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #93
Tech Addict

Next time ya get a chance for practice try the 41 spool up front onbthe technical track
I found it pulls te car thru the corners more so u can get on the gas alot earlier
just seemed front grip increAsed huge with on power turning
(I run on a large open track, but there is a tricky slow section that has quicck direcrtion change that can unsettle the car an the 41 spool world wonders there)

not sayin it will work or too Try in race cond but mite be worth a try in practice

let me know what ya think an how it goes
ASSociated RC12L4
Old 02-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #94
Tech Elite

I'll try it this weekend if the 42 seems off. I'm still planning on a very technical track but I'll make a few less switchbacks. Overall I'm enjoying the spool. The other thing I'm going to do is decrease brake frequency so the brakes engage a bit harder. I have it turned all the way up on my Havoc esc so the brakes are pretty mellow. If I do that I should be able to go deeper in the turn as brakes engage and then get on the throttle just after the apex. That may make all the difference in the world.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:02 AM   #95
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Too funny..... i was going to switch to the 21.5 this weekend! I've noticed your car seems to rip out of the corner more than mine. If i can maintain corner speed i know i give you a good run for the money. If take the wrong line (or get hacked from behind) it's pretty much impossible to catch up.

I think i'll still switch to see if it really makes a difference.
pejota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #96
Tech Elite

Hey Peej...Actually I don't have a choice. The 21.5 is going in the car that Steven might buy so the 17.5 has to go back in mine. Looking forward to our usual dance session !!!
Old 03-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #97
Tech Elite

Hey X car drivers...Hows everybody doing ? Sorry haven't posted lately, been busy trying to get our new timing system up and running smoothly without operator error so I haven't driven to much. Did run last week with the lightest sway bars mounted and it didn't feel to bad. Still running the spool as I've become a big believer in it for our track. I think before next weeks club day I'm going to remove the bars and try heavier shock oil only. Maybe go to 50 weight and see if it retains the feel. I'm running VERY soft springs around 10psi. I like the action but trying to limit the roll over just a bit. Had noticed some chassis scrub on each side of chassis. No noticeable damage from squat or dive so the lighter springs don't seem to be a problem.
Still love this car. Can't see any reason to trade up to a more expensive chassis. For RCGT or VTA she's still competitive.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #98
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Doing good.. My XXX is doing well, still tweaking the Tekin to get more speed. Found it with a 6.33 FDR on my 17.5 Redline - VERY fast in straight line. Seems to be missing some punch between corners, but I am working on the rpm ranges.

Handling is good and the push is gone - turns in pretty good. If anything, it seems a bit too slow in transition in the twisties now. I was going to play around with the front springs to liven it up a bit....also consult the Kinsley Manual.

Was running lead yesterday in a race, until I folded under pressure like a $5 card table TOok my eye off my car for a split sec to see where the other guy was who was gaining on me by 1sec a lap.... WHAM.. into a barrier....broken lower arm DNF'd. Oh well, I should run my own race, not worry about the other guy
Old 03-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #99
Tech Elite

Kinsley Manual?? Sounds like you're doing well with the X. Glad to hear. You running 4 degree castor ? Do you think the lack of transition is due to roll or overall grip ?? BTW, what surface are you on ?? BTW, Did you switch to 64p ?
Old 03-23-2010, 10:57 AM   #100
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Kinsley Manual?? Sounds like you're doing well with the X. Glad to hear. You running 4 degree castor ? Do you think the lack of transition is due to roll or overall grip ?? BTW, what surface are you on ?? BTW, Did you switch to 64p ?
Yeah, that is where my thoughts were going. I spent soooo much time adding front grip to counter a push, I think I may have too much now. I am running blue springs 'just because' I run on asphalt parking lot with Sorex 32s and 36s (track temp between 85 and 100 now). I just assumed asphalt had low grip and therefore, must run soft to allow roll, to generate grip. The series I race in 'sprays' something on the track to add traction - i think a LOT of traction. I am theorizing now that I am rolling too much in transition and it is slowing me down compared to the other guys.

Top speed is not a problem now. I want to speed things up in the tighter sections and focus on my driving (al la maintaining higher corner speeds)

Castor is whatever came with the kit (I think it is 4*)

64P, not yet. My buddy is struggling with the FDR issue and his GTB/XXX-S. I keep running a higher and higher FDR so I still have the 48P pinions required in my box to mate to my 90T spur. I may change soon as my new TrueSpec and F1 cars came with 64P spurs.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #101
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=Evoracer;7174509]Kinsley Manual?? QUOTE]

My socially retarded attempt at humor... It is a reference to an old Steve Martin comedy bit. (showing my age now...)
Old 03-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #102
Tech Elite

Talk about showing your age....I'm a huge Steve Martin fan....I just COULDN'T REMEMBER that joke !!

BTW, where do you have front droop at ?? That might help on mid to late turn exit acceleration.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:30 PM   #103
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Talk about showing your age....I'm a huge Steve Martin fan....I just COULDN'T REMEMBER that joke !!

BTW, where do you have front droop at ?? That might help on mid to late turn exit acceleration.
It is 3mm (using Losi droop guage and method). Rear is 4mm.

( maybe 5mm - I may have made a change and did not write it down... arrrg! . I'll verify the rear...)
Old 03-23-2010, 10:05 PM   #104
Tech Addict

Default Dynamite alloy parts

Hey guys just thought I'd let ya know i stumbled across some new in pack dynamite red alloy parts
1x nip red alloy motor mount an heat sink
1x 2nd hand red alloy motor mount and heat sink
2x red alloy front hub carriers
1x red alloy rear hub set

pm me if your interested

cheers
ASSociated RC12L4
Old 03-24-2010, 09:14 AM   #105
Tech Elite

If anybody comes across the Trinity Matt Francis Front Rear mounts and Rear front mounts please let me know.