R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Thanks for the info on B Fast.

Karrick, Does the belt spin freely ?? 2 fingers on each rear hub and rotate. Is it free or does it take a bit of effort?? Compared to my Schumacher MI3.5, the xxx-s spins almost as free. Make sure the spur gear screws aren't to tight. Thats a typical mistake. I tighten them just till they make contact and then maybe 1/4 turn more. Really no need to tighten them very much. Also check belt tension...doesn't have to be real tight. In fact...I run my very loose then run the car and if I get alot of belt slip I'll tighten just a bit. Only enough to avouid belp slippage during hard acceleration. Under heavy braking a little belt slip is normal. I'm assuming all bearings and diffs are in good shape.

Also, have you checked to make sure your esc is on the right profile ?? You have 3 including a training mode. And yes...the esc is very basic and doesn't have very decent output. You could find a good esc for pretty cheap, especially since you don't use brushless or Lipo. If you need help, just yell, I can hook you up with one of my old race esc's that I used before lipo.

Last edited by Evoracer; 02-08-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #32
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

What spur gears are available for the XXX-S? I just inherited a chassis and I'm putting together a VTA car. Have everything I need now, but my math says I need like a 36 tooth pinion (??!!). I have a pink and a yellow spur, which I believe are 84 and 88 teeth (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Can I fit a 36+ tooth pinion inside the housing? 84/36 I think put me pretty close to the 4.2 FDR for the VTA class.

Secondly, this car was last run as a "stock sedan" meaning 27 turn brushed motor and nimh packs. CS27 tires. From what I recall, it was pretty fast, but no idea where to start for VTA regarding setup. It has blue springs in the front and pink in the rear and I have no idea what weight oil is in it. Track is indoor carpet (ozite).

Thanks in advance.

CSR
csracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #33
Company Representative

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csracing View Post
What spur gears are available for the XXX-S? I just inherited a chassis and I'm putting together a VTA car. Have everything I need now, but my math says I need like a 36 tooth pinion (??!!). I have a pink and a yellow spur, which I believe are 84 and 88 teeth (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Can I fit a 36+ tooth pinion inside the housing? 84/36 I think put me pretty close to the 4.2 FDR for the VTA class.

Secondly, this car was last run as a "stock sedan" meaning 27 turn brushed motor and nimh packs. CS27 tires. From what I recall, it was pretty fast, but no idea where to start for VTA regarding setup. It has blue springs in the front and pink in the rear and I have no idea what weight oil is in it. Track is indoor carpet (ozite).

Thanks in advance.

CSR
you will need a smallest spur you can find if your going to run a brushless motor/non timing boost ESC (std rule for the VTA ?)

da john wee
SweepRacingUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #34
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csracing View Post

Thanks in advance.

CSR
Use the 108T 64P spur (YELLOW). Count the teeth if you want to be sure
The max pinion you could use would be a 47T, otherwise you would be geared below the 4.2 FDR limit. A 44 or 45 would be a good starting point. For a 5.0 you would use a 39T pinion.

Check out my setup a page back. There are 3 of us running VTA XXX-S @ the Plex and all run close to the same setup.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #35
Tech Regular

My xxxs which I run on carpet with foam in scotland.

It's dialled!
Attached Thumbnails
XXX-S Tips and Talk for Stock Classes-img00060-20100207-2247.jpg   XXX-S Tips and Talk for Stock Classes-img00062-20100207-2248.jpg   XXX-S Tips and Talk for Stock Classes-img00063-20100207-2248.jpg   XXX-S Tips and Talk for Stock Classes-img00061-20100207-2247.jpg  
Dan415ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Nice ride Dan415ms !! If anybody out there isn't real happy with the stock xxxs shocks, I can vouch for the 10mm units from the jrxs. Nice action, easier to fill and only one length. If you get them, be prepared to sand the edges of the pistons, they seem to have a little flashing on them and will bind in the shock body. Remember to order the right springs.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #37
Tech Apprentice

I just got a new set of rims and tires... has anybody tried adding additional air holes to the rims? If so, any benefits or just leave them alone?
GI JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Tried it and didn't find any performance advantage. Just another gimmick in my estimation.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:20 AM   #39
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I run with Evoracer at the same track and I always drill an extra 1/8th inch hole directly opposite the one already drilled.

Performance gains? Who knows, in my mind i just like the symmetry of the extra hole.
pejota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #40
Tech Elite

I retract my earlier comment.....please feel free to drill as many holes in the wheel as you like. I think 1 every 1/8th of an inch should do. Pejota, please try this on our next club day...I think it'll make you very, very fast !!!!
Old 02-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #41
Tech Master

This is coming from the same guy who "told" steve to not use the foam inserts that come with his tires!!!!

I'd still like to know where he heard that "speed secret!!"
Old 02-10-2010, 11:32 AM   #42
Tech Elite

He asked me about that the other day and I have no idea where he heard it from. Definitely not me, although I wonder what would happen if you did? Couldn't be good.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #43
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ONRAILZ
Default trinity gear adapter

Does anyone have a trinity gear adapter for the xxxs they are willing to part with? if so please shoot me a pm! thanks!
ONRAILZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #44
Tech Apprentice

Evoracer and pejota, loose the foam inserts and fill the tires with 9 oz. of stick-on weights and airsoft BB's! The rock crawlers do it...ever see how much traction they get!?!
GI JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #45
Tech Master

I'm still waiting for those suction cup tires Speed Racer used on his Mach V!!!