R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #241
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Never used the solid diff with the stock axles. I had the IRS ones with the pin cushions and it never caused a problem. You may be using to much steering. The X has a lot of steering and a pretty fair amount of Ackerman. Also, are you using the stock front hinge pin block ?? If so, try using a rear block in the front. It will straighten the axle angle and may help.
I've been running this setup (Matt Francis Reedy Race 2004), with a couple of changes (low rear roll center, ride height for VTA tires):

http://www.rctech.net/forum/922179-post10967.html

Matt ran that same sort of setup just about everywhere he ran outdoor. My car gets better every time I run it and get it more dialed in.

I made myself a set of BK Bones and it really, really helped the diff. I showed it to a buddy of mine who asked "Did you rebuild the diff?" to which I responded "I cleaned it, but no." He was amazed. It's like having a brand new outdrive every run.

If you look at Cav's setup from the same race (when he won), he had a 2R in the front, the axles straightend out, a spool, and a lot softer springs (green and blue, I think). Other than the CVD bone issue, it narrows the track a lot. The Losi guys were running .255 hexes (stock TC3 size) in the front to get the track width back. And I'm already doing that to square the front with the +6 rear.

I'm not sure how I'd make it any wider...
* Cee Lo Dizzle, the Secizzle * Red Bull * Team Homies * Pintura de Negro Mate * USVTA #152
CraigMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #242
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigMBA View Post
I've been running this setup (Matt Francis Reedy Race 2004), with a couple of changes (low rear roll center, ride height for VTA tires):

http://www.rctech.net/forum/922179-post10967.html

Matt ran that same sort of setup just about everywhere he ran outdoor. My car gets better every time I run it and get it more dialed in.

I made myself a set of BK Bones and it really, really helped the diff. I showed it to a buddy of mine who asked "Did you rebuild the diff?" to which I responded "I cleaned it, but no." He was amazed. It's like having a brand new outdrive every run.

If you look at Cav's setup from the same race (when he won), he had a 2R in the front, the axles straightend out, a spool, and a lot softer springs (green and blue, I think). Other than the CVD bone issue, it narrows the track a lot. The Losi guys were running .255 hexes (stock TC3 size) in the front to get the track width back. And I'm already doing that to square the front with the +6 rear.

I'm not sure how I'd make it any wider...
Thanks for the set up link. My car is pretty good right now but I'll give this a shot, with maybe your changes for VTA. Never run the class before so I'm sure it's a different feel.
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #243
Tech Elite

Ran the GT / silvercan class locally yesterday: 12-13 cars total for the day, qualified 1-2-1, putting me right up front in the main. Got hacked real bad in the beginning but still finished 2nd, only being beat out by a new-ish Xray. I had the fastest lap of the main, so the speed was there just had a rough bout with traffic (one problem with this class locally is it does draw out some "all throttle no control" types). I don't think anyone had a better car through the infield. Not bad for a car I paid $80 bux for a year ago .
Old 01-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #244
Tech Addict

Default Brushless pinion spur?

What 64 pitch spur and pinion have people been running
for 13.5, 17.5 and/or 21.5. (Assuming large flowing asphalt track)
I read the Novak web site recommendations and it seemed like to meet their gearing recommendations it required a very large pinion on the smallest available spur.
I wondered what real world experience people had.
Thanks
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #245
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjonah View Post
What 64 pitch spur and pinion have people been running
for 13.5, 17.5 and/or 21.5. (Assuming large flowing asphalt track)
I read the Novak web site recommendations and it seemed like to meet their gearing recommendations it required a very large pinion on the smallest available spur.
I wondered what real world experience people had.
Thanks
Just curious what gear ratio you're trying to get to ? I've been running anywhere from 90-98t depending on what ratio I want. For 25.5 or 21.5 I aim for around 4.0 to 4.2 fdr. On bigger tracks I've run as low as 3.7 or so. The X can handle pretty big pinions. I think I ran all the way up to a 51t with no problem.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #246
Tech Elite

For me to nail the required ratio in the local GT based class on the dot, I had to find the spur gear adapter. But yeah, what exact ratio are you trying to achieve? Can take a look on gearchart and see what can be had with the available Losi spurs.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #247
Tech Addict

Default from Novak site

Novak web page

Recommended for 13.5 4.5 - would require 108/44
Recommended for 17.5 3.5 - would require 90/47

Does this match your experience?
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #248
Tech Elite

Do you have the alloy spur gear adapter ?? Those ratios aren't bad but remember they are "suggested starting ratios" only.
And remember that there are only a couple of 64p Losi spurs available. Without the adapter you may have to settle for 48p. That makes things a bit more difficult.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #249
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default looking for xxxs

anybody selling a xxxs or xxxs g+ pm me your price ty
vintage boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:27 AM   #250
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Looking for a MF spur gear adapter! Lmk. Pm me.
Soupinmycoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:27 AM   #251
Tech Fanatic

I run 108/54 with the Novak Ballistic set at 45 Deg. of timing. This is on a indoor carpet and the max straight is 70'. This is in VTA with the spec tires.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #252
Tech Adept

Btw, just checking into the group!! I just picked up a mint G+ with a boat load of parts. Looks hardly used, probably in stock/expert stock.

I'll be running in intermediate stock (or try sportsman stock if i can keep up)

Plan B is to run in a VTA class at the same track.

I'll keep you guys posted!!

Soup
Old 05-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #253
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default pictures please

@soupinmycoupe: how much did you paid for it iam also looking for one, please post pictures, thank you
vintage boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #254
Tech Elite

Good going Soup ! And Good Luck racing your X. The old girl still has plenty to give when raced in the right classes. I still have a pile of parts and i just might have to put another car together.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #255
Tech Adept

For sale:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...f-edition.html