Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
XXX-S Tips and Talk for Stock Classes >

XXX-S Tips and Talk for Stock Classes

XXX-S Tips and Talk for Stock Classes

Old 10-14-2010, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Does anyone know where I can find a set of aluminum c-hubs for the XXX-S? I have been doing some searching and cant seem to find them anywhere. Color doesn't matter. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I've got a spare set of red dynamite alloy c-hubs
drop me a pm if ya interested
Old 10-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Dynamite(USA but no longer produced)and Jet Hobby(japan) both made them. Dynamite was red and Jet made silver and titanium. Jet still shows them on their catalog but they may not actually have them.
I have one pair new also. If you don't buy from Paraletic, let me know. Liquidating all my xxxs stuff (holy crap I have a lot !! )
Old 01-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Well don't it figure !! Lost my job, started selling my stuff, sold a few things and thought I'd buy a good,used TC5 and the Exotech chassis. Dontcha know that once I realized how much stuff I had for the xxxs and how much I need for the TC5.....I'd change my mind and decide to stick with the trusty old XXXS.
If anyone out there has Trinity Matt Francis alloy they're looking to sell, please let me know. Unfortunately I had already sold 2 of my X cars and they both had the good stuff on them. I'm primarily interested in the suspension blocks since they really do help the handling.
So anyway....Anybody out there still running the X and doing well with it ?? We need pictures so if you get some time...post pics of your car with the body on and with it off.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by big_ads
Does anyone know where I can find a set of aluminum c-hubs for the XXX-S? I have been doing some searching and cant seem to find them anywhere. Color doesn't matter. Any help would be appreciated.
jet hobby still has them in stock. i contacted them like a week ago
Old 01-22-2011, 08:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

i have a spare graphite chassis that i would like to sell make me an offer.
might even have a spare set of graphite diff covers new in the bag
Old 01-22-2011, 08:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

its the bottom chassis not the top one
Old 04-23-2011, 05:29 AM
Tech Elite

Time for another XXX-S "RISE FROM THE ASHES" moment !!

We're back folks. I just got another xxx-s to run VTA with and can't wait. It's like renewing a frienship with an old friend. This car is just comfortable.

So who's doing what with the X these days ?? Mine is going VTA since Mini amd VTA are all I run these days. Boy....it's sure nice to be enjoying the hobby again.

So here's a queston to kick things off.
Does anyone use different body posts on their X chassis ??? To me , the stock Losi units are just to flimsy. They need to be a bit stiffer. Anybody know if the TC3 / TC4 units will work ???

On that note, would anyone be interested in modified shock towers that bring the body mounts closer together ?? ( I think the dimples on most HPI or Tamiya bodies are about 65mm apart )
Old 04-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

started running my xxx-s for vta recently i am finding that most everything i do to it makes it all that much easier to drive, from advice from john S did put the hd long black belt on it love the feel. i see no real disadvantage to the other cars in the class so far. i am the heaviest car @ 1631 (shoogoo repair on the cuda) and still within 12 secs of the leader after 8 min mains. btw before the goo i was at 1551 with my light li-po. i still have a bit of off power push but am working it out.

as per the body posts i don't know mine are new and seem sturdy to me?
Old 04-24-2011, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

phantom, the posts have always seemed a bit weak to me and are a bit smaller diameter than many others but all in all....maybe thats not a bad thing. If they bend a little it means a little less body damage maybe.

Be curious to know your setup. If it's really off power.....I'm thinking lighter springs and possibly shock oil might help. I'm not a fan of toe out to help steering but the X really does well in parking lot or asphalt racing with low roll center front and lighter spring rates. I've had good luck with 30-40 weight oil and Losi silver springs.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

still using the 14.6 blue losi springs
had the oils at what ever the car came with was not sure, i had extreme body roll caught in a on track photo. took shocks apart saw the rear had 4 hole psitons front had 3 hole. i put in 70 front 60 rear oil that eliminated the extreme roll a lot better made the car more loose but lap times dont lie. i have to give it a good brake wheels turned on entry but as soon as i get back on it pulls right through. before all the changes i'd let off before corner and would not turn till it was really slowed down. so yes off power. still has it a little but its manageable really. used the graphite 1 deg hubs reversed left and rights to give total rear toe of 2 instead of the stock 4. springs i guess will be the next thing to change. outer hole bottom shocks mounted both front and rear at the top are one away from inner most. cambers -1 rear -1front this is a asphalt track that gets blown off before races and is treated upon new layout design.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:31 AM
Tech Elite

Personally, I'd get a handle on those shock pistons and make them all 3 hole or all 4 hole. Most setups I've come across have all suggested the 3 hole.
Little confused about the rear toe. Stock toe angle on the X is 2 degrees. By reversing the 1 degree hubs you're decreasing toe to 1 degree. Not a problem as long as you're setting up for it.
Extreme roll. I'm guessing your track might be either very technical or very large.
Again, this is my personal choice. I run very soft shocks. Silver front, Pink in back with 40w shock oil. Tight, technical , no compound applied, asphalt. Body roll is controlled via anti roll bars. Have you tried them at all ??
Sounds like you're dealing with multiple issues. I'd suggest getting the car set with a good starting point by changing shock oil to known viscosity and get shock pistons changed. Then run it and start adapting a little to your track. maybe 40w is to light....maybe try 50 and see what happens.
Also, are you using ball diffs front and back ?
Old 06-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

EVO, how's your XXX-S VTA program doing? I have a XXX-S that I am thinking about resurrecting for VTA (keep flip flopping on resurrecting it or buying something else). I picked it up for $30.00 last year. This was an RTR that came with a bunch of extra parts including an extra chassis and a full extra set of CVAs. I also spend about $80.00 clearing out some markdown parts at a hobby shop so I have two gallon ziplock bags full of various parts including two sets of NIB threaded front shocks and a pair of rear nitrited shock shafts and the car came with a pair of rear threaded shock bodies that was missing the spring adjustment rings so I can build a threaded set of front and rear shocks. It already has the black 77mm belt conversion done but still needs a lot of work. Will be running on a tight technical carpet track running a HPI 70 Mustang body. Do not have access to roll bars and don't know what pistons to start with. The two front shocks have 56 pistons and I may have additional shock pistons but have to strip out 7 pair of regular shocks to see what number pistons are in them. Any ideas on setups top start. Also how is the durability on the XXX-S.? I have both stock and graphite front and rear suspension parts. Still debating on whether to put additional money in the car to repair it or sell it. What is the largest pinion that will fit with a 86 tooth spur gear on the XXX-S?
Old 06-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

Well, I still have bunches of X parts, 1 complete car and 2 other chassis that need to be finished. I still think the X is a great chassis and was well ahead of its time. Honestly , I haven't been running it since I fell in love with the Team magic E4. The centralised chassis layout is just great for handling. Now that Tamiya has released the TA06, I may go with it since Tamiya has always been my first love.
That being said, a XXX-S will always be in my stable. Its proven and tough. Look back in this thread and you'll see some good setups by Paraletic. I used a combination of his and John Stranahans. 1.15 Pink Rear and 1.15 Silver Front springs. Shocks use 40-45 wt oil. 56 pistons all around. Use sway bars to tune turn performance (I haven't needed them in VTA although I probably should've tried small bars in front to take out some steering). Ride height 5mm. Droop 2-3. MF low roll blocks front and rear. Asphalt, technical, no traction compound on track or tires.
For VTA, the X is still a car I'd suggest to anyone.

Last edited by Evoracer; 06-26-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Well, I still have bunches of X parts, 1 complete car and 2 other chassis that need to be finished. I still think the X is a great chassis and was well ahead of its time. Honestly , I haven't been running it since I fell in love with the Team magic E4. The centralised chassis layout is just great for handling. Now that Tamiya has released the TA06, I may go with it since Tamiya has always been my first love.
That being said, a XXX-S will always be in my stable. Its proven and tough. Look back in this thread and you'll see some good setups by Paraletic. I used a combination of his and John Stranahans. Pink frt and Silver rear springs. Shocks use 40-45 wt oil. 56 pistons all around. Use sway bars to tune turn performance (I haven't needed them in VTA although I probably should've tried small bars in front to take out some steering). Ride height 5mm. Droop 2-3. MF low roll blocks front and rear. Asphalt, technical, no traction compound on track or tires.
For VTA, the X is still a car I'd suggest to anyone.
A couple of more quick questions. Are you using Losi shock oil or another brand? Also do you know what the largest 48 pitch pinion will fit with an 86 tooth stock sour gear? Can't bring myself to pay $45.00 for a Matt Francis Trinity Gear adapter and haven't seen any 106 tooth 64 pitch spur gears on EBAY for awhile.

Thanks,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.