R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-26-2005, 05:49 PM   #301
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF415boy
Try that : 1000 microfarad and 0.1 microfarad caps in parallel, plugged on the receiver. Makes a low pass filter and will provide a bit of current when your bec will go too low. This solved ALL my problems with PT missing laps on my G10 (using a 2343 servo).
You may also want to try sheilding the speed control from the chassi if it is graphtite. I had the same problem with my G10 pro. I used alluminum foil between the servo tape and the bottom of the control. You may also want to make sure your servo end points are not going to far causing a voltage spike.

Stefan Millay

www.surgeworldwide.com
www.tresleonard.com
www.bkpaintwerks.com
www.teamtekin.com
Stefan Millay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:19 PM   #302
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Thanks for the answer.

Just one thing. Do I plug this in the BEC slot with the PT in 3rd channel slot?

Also for situations where there isn't a 3rd channel slot, how would I use this in conjunction with the PT to plug in the BEC slot?
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:42 PM   #303
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Tekin G-10 Robbing servo power

This past sunday, I tried My Xray with my G-10 ESC and a 10t Reedy motor. I also need to mention that my batteries are really cheap ones, that ain't really for racing. anyhow, When I nailed the throttle, the steering servo would loose response and I hit the wall. Imagine that, I hit the wall. Could it be that the CHEAP battery was dropping voltage so low, that the BEC was compromised? I'll certainly try it again, with better batts but want to know if a guru or two think that I may need to add a power Cap?
Thanks, POD
PlainOleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:53 PM   #304
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Also, Yes I are using a digital servo but I have raced this same setup with stock, 21 turn and 19 turn, with no problems, to date.
PlainOleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:53 AM   #305
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs
for stock and 19turn i run the limits all the way up and the drive freq at its lowest and drag brake two clicks up. for mod i raise the drive freq and also the drag brake alot. hope this helps.
jeff

MANY THANKS JEFF!!! how bout the drive frequency for a modified motor.. do you also change it? i will try it out once i open the G11 PRO here at my shop
XTREMERCHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:55 AM   #306
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude
Thanks for the answer.

Just one thing. Do I plug this in the BEC slot with the PT in 3rd channel slot?

Also for situations where there isn't a 3rd channel slot, how would I use this in conjunction with the PT to plug in the BEC slot?
In all logid, PT would go to 3rd channel and caps to the BEC. But, it doesn't really matter where you plug it, on the receiver the 3rd channel will provide or receive power as well as the bec plug.

If there isn't a 3rd channel, then you'll have to wire the caps to the PT, or buy a Y wire that allows to plug two units onto only one channel (commonly used in 1/5th scale where you have two steering servos).
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 04:00 AM   #307
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Millay
You may also want to try sheilding the speed control from the chassi if it is graphtite. I had the same problem with my G10 pro. I used alluminum foil between the servo tape and the bottom of the control. You may also want to make sure your servo end points are not going to far causing a voltage spike.

Stefan Millay

www.surgeworldwide.com
www.tresleonard.com
www.bkpaintwerks.com
www.teamtekin.com
EPA's are perfectly set and I hardly ever am on full steering apart from if I need to make a U-turn (very rare). I don't see the point of putting a foil of aluminium only between the lower part of the case of the speedo and the chassis. If you want to shield something (and it usually is the receiver not the speedo that you shield), you have to make a faraday's cage. That means, aluminium all around it.

Anyway, I don't have any problems now. Besides i've put a 9550 in the car and it don't draw as much current now.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:20 AM   #308
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to David Alberico Send a message via Yahoo to David Alberico

On my sedan I have a power cap wired into the RX'er. I'm not on the spektrum, but it helps keeping things evened out.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:34 PM   #309
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF415boy
EPA's are perfectly set and I hardly ever am on full steering apart from if I need to make a U-turn (very rare). I don't see the point of putting a foil of aluminium only between the lower part of the case of the speedo and the chassis. If you want to shield something (and it usually is the receiver not the speedo that you shield), you have to make a faraday's cage. That means, aluminium all around it.

Anyway, I don't have any problems now. Besides i've put a 9550 in the car and it don't draw as much current now.
Whoops sorry about that,, that is between the receiver and chassi.
Stefan Millay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 06:23 PM   #310
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4-tc sp
According to what explain from Tekin, problem on new digital servo is because Tekin decided to give out all the power a servo wants so the BEC circult overload. But for other speedo, the current from BEC was limited. They just restrict the power on the servo rather.
Wouldnt it have been a much better idea for them to limit the amount of power a servo can get and not have it cause other problems, than give it as much power as it wants and cause problems. What if you hit a wall, wouldnt that cause a voltage spike from the servo, and couldnt that fry the esc? Im not sure if they fry from this problem, but I think that they said that on the tekin forum. I was thinking about getting one, but now Im not so sure.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:23 PM   #311
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE Racer
Wouldnt it have been a much better idea for them to limit the amount of power a servo can get and not have it cause other problems, than give it as much power as it wants and cause problems. What if you hit a wall, wouldnt that cause a voltage spike from the servo, and couldnt that fry the esc? Im not sure if they fry from this problem, but I think that they said that on the tekin forum. I was thinking about getting one, but now Im not so sure.
AE,

You are correct. What Tekin is running into is that the servo manufacturers (KO, Airtronics, Futaba, etc) design their servos, digital and analog to run off of a certain voltage, thus reduce the need for higher voltage carrying components (cost saving measure). So, the speed control manufactures design their BEC circuitry to not overload or burnout the servos with excessive voltage. Little did the servo manufacturer’s realize is that the newer digital servos are actually drawing much more voltage than originally thought and the blame seems to be going back to the speed control manufacturers.

Basically, the manufacturers of the servos and speed controls need to work much closer together so these sorts of things do not happen.

Tekin has stepped up to the plate and designed a really nice, smooth and dependable speed control in the G11. I have had one for months and run it with a KO digital servo and run mod on carpet and have not had any problems whatsoever.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, Mike
ProMatch
Parma
Michal101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:22 PM   #312
Tech Addict

I run off-road buggy, and if the voltage spike from a crash could cause problems, it would probably be much more severe in my case, since the cars are open wheeled. When you crash the servo will take a good hit, even though the servo saver helps some, we also use our servos to push off of pipes when we get stuck during practice, so they're under a good amount of stress. Does tekin have any plans of a permanent solution to this problem?

Also, not that I dont believe your sucess with it, is your KO servo an FET servo? Because that would bypass the BEC...
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:26 PM   #313
Tech Regular

I have been running the G11 and G11 Pro speedos in my clods (tamiya clodbuster, with our Berzerker race chassis) using 7 cells (IB3600s), dual 12d mod motors and dual Futaba S9451(and ko 2174s) servos with NO receiver pack or cap on the receiver. I am also running a new 27mhz M11. If I can race a clod with this setup, I would think it will work fine in a sedan with a single motor and single servo!

The quicktune features on the G11's are really nice. The frequency adjustments are awesome and anything on the speedo can be adjusted in under 10 seconds if you are in a hurry (racer's minute)! It's also nice not having to find a spot for a [email protected]$$ cap or having to solder on schotkys!

IF you have any questions on Tekin's new products please feel free to PM me.

Regards!
Ben Prenevost
TeamPRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 11:18 PM   #314
Tech Master

Jeff Cuffs: can i still install a Power Capacitor on my G11 PRO? would i still need to use a schottky diode on the motor?
Old 10-28-2005, 08:36 AM   #315
Tech Master

jim campbell just emailed me and said that i didn't need to put a schottky diode but i can install a Power Capacitor... so i got the gigantic capacitor that my MTroniks Cirrus PRO came with... check out the size
Attached Thumbnails
Tekin-g11.jpg