Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-13-2005, 08:37 AM   #271
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Shane Reinink

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12
Still have my G9 here but didnīt used since some time. Someone knows what is the difference between G9 and the newer Tekins on the track? Speaking of drive characteristics and such things.
The G9 would still be very competitive today as long as its in top condition, like said earlier keep an eye on the temp of the G9 as you don't want to burn it up. If it does not overheat than it should still be in good shape. The G9 is just lacking some of the updated software that the G10 pro + and now the G11 have. It may not be as smooth but it should still be very cometitive on the track.
Shane Reinink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:43 AM   #272
Tech Master

Hi guys,

We just talked with Sherri and she said she's sent the G11's to the shops and distributors already, so I'd expect them anytime soon. Battery Doctors should be available too.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:28 PM   #273
Tech Adept

I have ran the G9 in my Pro4 with 12t motor in a middle track with high grip, it seems high speed and punch a little bit than my G10pro, but it's very long run time let me surprise, a old gp3300 pack with 12t motor give me over 10mins run time. But just few race ago I found the speed slowing down like a 23t motor and over 15mins run time. I'm afraid the G9 have some elec. parts broken or may be my motor problem. but this Reedy Pt 12t motor I have ran around 30pack with G10pro is no problem and very fast, however after the very fast first race then I change the motor brushes to Yokomo 081 , only 2mins normal speed then 23t motor speed . Could anyone G9 owner have same problem or my Reedy Pt 12t problem in 081 brushes.
G2B Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 02:32 PM   #274
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12
I think the G9 didnīt have a motorlimit when this was released long time ago. But as the internal resistance is much higher then the newest ESCs you should be careful using low wind motors. Also the G9 uses a very high switching frequency of 16.6 KHz what means it will run hotter than a low switching ESC. And use the heatsinks.

Actually, a higher drive frequency will allow the speedo to run cooler, not hotter. The internal resistance of that speedo is around .0007 ohms. That's really not much higher than what's available today. I have speedos with lower on-resistance and can really see no difference whatsoever with all things being equal. Later!
2BAD4ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 10:39 PM   #275
Tech Adept

how come my G9 and V2 12t modify get very hot after a 8min racing even in a low temp weather, I have't use the additional heat sink and tested with a temp senor the temp around 75-80deg same with my motor, why so hot? is it normal operating temp or my G9 have problem ?
G2B Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 08:11 PM   #276
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I just got my new G11, a couple local guys (sponsored) have been hyping it up. I was expecting a real kick a$$ ESC. I hooked up and the thing just goes total ape sheet. Totaly confused, I checked everything and it was all correct but, the throttle made the servo go crazy and the steering knob messed with the motor. I decided to hook up a receiver pack and voila, the thing runs like a dream. I decided to check out Tekin's website to see if they had any ideas what was up and yes, apparently, they've known that this would happen. The digital servo draws too much power and you can bypass the bec but, don't recommend doing anything against the servo specs.

Does anyone have any real ideas? I'm not running a separate receiver pack and I'm not giving up my awesome servo or Spektrum because this new esc doesn't work right with them. Is this an expensive paperweight?

I'm running KO 2363, Spektrum, hopefully G11,
When I run my GTX, I have no problems at all.

If I had known this was going to happen, I would've left the 180 bucks in my pocket.
EVILGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 09:31 PM   #277
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILGRAFX
Is this an expensive paperweight?
A local racer fried two of them in two consecutive heats. I suppose something could have been screwy with his setup, but considering who it was I highly doubt that. It may end up being a great ESC, it may already be a great ESC, but I've seen enough to never buy another Tekin ESC for as long as I keep racing.

Back when I started racing I fried two ESCs, both Tekins, I switched to Novak and even though they're 15+ years old they still work to this day. I was out of racing for almost 15 years so I don't know what Tekin had for a rep in that time period.
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 09:40 PM   #278
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have an old 411 and it still works great. I love it. I am running a Twister 2 in my onroad but I was running the 411 in my onroad car. Had more than enough punch and top end speed for my mod motors. Never did it get hot either. I really like the Tekins and would not hesitate to buy another one.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 09:55 PM   #279
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
I just got my new G11, a couple local guys (sponsored) have been hyping it up. I was expecting a real kick a$$ ESC. I hooked up and the thing just goes total ape sheet. Totaly confused, I checked everything and it was all correct but, the throttle made the servo go crazy and the steering knob messed with the motor. I decided to hook up a receiver pack and voila, the thing runs like a dream. I decided to check out Tekin's website to see if they had any ideas what was up and yes, apparently, they've known that this would happen. The digital servo draws too much power and you can bypass the bec but, don't recommend doing anything against the servo specs.

Does anyone have any real ideas? I'm not running a separate receiver pack and I'm not giving up my awesome servo or Spektrum because this new esc doesn't work right with them. Is this an expensive paperweight?

I'm running KO 2363, Spektrum, hopefully G11,
When I run my GTX, I have no problems at all.

If I had known this was going to happen, I would've left the 180 bucks in my pocket.

did u run a cap on the spectrum.. i run one and have no issues the 2363 is that the 7.2v ko servo or 6.0v. might want to try the cap before you bash the speedo. run the tekin u wont be dissapointed.
jeff
Old 10-24-2005, 10:22 PM   #280
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have always been a fan of Tekin, re their durability, i generally found that out of the box some of them can be dodgy, theyb will either blow up in the first few runs or last forever. Return the burnt unit to the local distributor from where it was purchased and they should exchange on the spot.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:50 PM   #281
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Thanks to Jeff Cuffs, I put the cap on the Spektrum and it seems to have rectified the problem for now. I'll know more this weekend when I race. Hopefully, everything will run okay.
EVILGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:02 PM   #282
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike
A local racer fried two of them in two consecutive heats. I suppose something could have been screwy with his setup, but considering who it was I highly doubt that. It may end up being a great ESC, it may already be a great ESC, but I've seen enough to never buy another Tekin ESC for as long as I keep racing.

Back when I started racing I fried two ESCs, both Tekins, I switched to Novak and even though they're 15+ years old they still work to this day. I was out of racing for almost 15 years so I don't know what Tekin had for a rep in that time period.
Dude, I have the same story but the other way around. I'll never buy any novak speedo again, tekin all the way. But i'm not bashing novak's stuff, so I think you shouldn't bash tekin's stuff. After all, speedos all blow up one day or another, it's just a matter of time, and the fact that you fried two tekin ESC's don't mean they're crap, just that you've been unlucky with them, as I've been with Novak.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:39 PM   #283
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF415boy
Dude, I have the same story but the other way around. I'll never buy any novak speedo again, tekin all the way. But i'm not bashing novak's stuff, so I think you shouldn't bash tekin's stuff. After all, speedos all blow up one day or another, it's just a matter of time, and the fact that you fried two tekin ESC's don't mean they're crap, just that you've been unlucky with them, as I've been with Novak.
Wasn't bashing, just sharing my experiences and wondering if maybe the new ESC is having some growing pains. Considering I have yet to see a GT7, GTX, QC1 or 2, or any other brand ESC go up in smoke since I've been back into racing, can you blame me for being a little leary of the G11?
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:43 PM   #284
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks to Jeff Cuffs, I put the cap on the Spektrum and it seems to have rectified the problem for now. I'll know more this weekend when I race. Hopefully, everything will run okay.
supposedly you can send your spectrum receiver in and they will rework the boards so the fail safe will not kick in so quick.

www.surgeworldwide.com
www.tresleonard.com
www.bkpaintwerks.com
www.teamtekin.com
Stefan Millay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:54 PM   #285
Tech Adept

Totally agree with IKE! I could tell you even a G10-pro is stronger than those so-call new speedos. They aren't as good as people think. For example, most of the people tell me that G-10's design is too old to get up with those new stuff, QC 1 is far better than it. But I opened up both speedos and looked at what components they use. The PIC chip used in G-10 series is around 4 time powerfull than the one in QC1. In term of driving feel, everyone could feel the punch, run-time, response, smoothness, and resolution on G10 is far more better than QC1 and QC2.

According to what explain from Tekin, problem on new digital servo is because Tekin decided to give out all the power a servo wants so the BEC circult overload. But for other speedo, the current from BEC was limited. They just restrict the power on the servo rather.
mr4-tc sp is offline   Reply With Quote