Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Where can I get foam to make foam tires? >

Where can I get foam to make foam tires?

Where can I get foam to make foam tires?

Old 01-31-2010, 07:59 PM
  #16  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (80)
 
pakk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,082
Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default

I think he was talking about me. I was looking for 12th scale donuts.
pakk is offline  
Old 01-31-2010, 08:10 PM
  #17  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (38)
 
BUDRACER1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: N.Wilkesboro NC
Posts: 609
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by pakk View Post
I think he was talking about me. I was looking for 12th scale donuts.
Oh my bad...there I go again not reading all the details. lol

Contact John Foister at Johns BSR Racing Tires, He should be able to hook you up.

thanks JB
BUDRACER1 is offline  
Old 01-31-2010, 10:02 PM
  #18  
Tech Master
iTrader: (89)
 
trerc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,817
Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by pakk View Post
I think he was talking about me. I was looking for 12th scale donuts.
Yes i was, like BUDRACER1 said contact John at BSR he will likely be able to help you out.
trerc is offline  
Old 02-03-2010, 10:15 PM
  #19  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
fallguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 646
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

http://www.mcmaster.com/#foam/=5nzyu7

im going to try and figure this out.. i have a bunch of chunked tures that i would like to redo for my pan car

or im going to get the foam sheet from a place like this (this one is near my work)

http://www.polarbearrubber.com/sheet.htm

Last edited by fallguy; 02-03-2010 at 10:28 PM.
fallguy is offline  
Old 02-03-2010, 10:28 PM
  #20  
Tech Master
 
Geezatec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,610
Default

Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
http://www.mcmaster.com/#foam/=5nzyu7

im going to try and figure this out.. i have a bunch of chunked tures that i would like to redo for my pan car
Post a couple photos of chunked tires you have. What kind of surface you run on? Temp of asphalt? What glue are you useing?
Geezatec is offline  
Old 02-03-2010, 10:36 PM
  #21  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
fallguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 646
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Geezatec View Post
Post a couple photos of chunked tires you have. What kind of surface you run on? Temp of asphalt? What glue are you useing?
carpet and we are chunking them from bad driving ( 1st season of pan car for a few of us) the tires are pre mounted jaco,crc and some other brands.
fallguy is offline  
Old 02-03-2010, 11:17 PM
  #22  
Tech Master
 
Geezatec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,610
Default

Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
carpet and we are chunking them from bad driving ( 1st season of pan car for a few of us) the tires are pre mounted jaco,crc and some other brands.
Rather you can post a photo, so I could see where they're chunking. Middle or on the edges. They chunk not of bad driving. I seldomly see them chunk on carpet. How far do you run them by diameter?
Geezatec is offline  
Old 11-09-2011, 05:55 AM
  #23  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (9)
 
mailboxck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Philippines
Posts: 835
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rccartips View Post
I use slippers. You need to feel the compound with your fingers and choose the right one.





I prefer the grip of the slippers foams over Tamiya tires. Around 3 hours of run time.
Was it simply coincidence that the saw's inner diameter and outer diameter were the same size as tamiya tires? I'm thinking about doing this on my own
mailboxck is offline  
Old 11-09-2011, 06:00 AM
  #24  
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 4,052
Default

Originally Posted by rccartips View Post
I use slippers. You need to feel the compound with your fingers and choose the right one.





I prefer the grip of the slippers foams over Tamiya tires. Around 3 hours of run time.
Madness... I love it!
sosidge is offline  
Old 11-09-2011, 06:08 AM
  #25  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,337
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Mailbox, you can adjust the hole saw for various diameters.

Sometimes I make the tires simply because it works better that what I can buy
rccartips is offline  
Old 11-09-2011, 05:56 PM
  #26  
WC
Tech Master
iTrader: (28)
 
WC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Global Citizen
Posts: 1,932
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

heh, never knew ppl would buy flipflops for rethreads


closed cell EVA foam is not hard to buy in sheets, can specify shore you want


Originally Posted by mailboxck View Post
Was it simply coincidence that the saw's inner diameter and outer diameter were the same size as tamiya tires? I'm thinking about doing this on my own
they are adjustable... for inner hole, go 1 smaller rather than larger


if you're smelling burning, sounds like you're cutting unlubricated!

we used a giant drillpress indoors, zero ventilation. Goes slow like 200rpm.

best lube? plain water in a trigger spray bottle, that's all u need
WC is offline  
Old 11-09-2011, 07:13 PM
  #27  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (9)
 
mailboxck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Philippines
Posts: 835
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by WC View Post
heh, never knew ppl would buy flipflops for rethreads


closed cell EVA foam is not hard to buy in sheets, can specify shore you want




they are adjustable... for inner hole, go 1 smaller rather than larger


if you're smelling burning, sounds like you're cutting unlubricated!

we used a giant drillpress indoors, zero ventilation. Goes slow like 200rpm.

best lube? plain water in a trigger spray bottle, that's all u need
Thanks for the tips! I'll do this once I wear out my current set of foams
mailboxck is offline  
Old 11-12-2011, 07:00 AM
  #28  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
TRADLER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 478
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default RIMS

I ve got the foams I want but I can t find rims other then CRC for 12th scale does anybody have another supplier.
Thanks
TRADLER is offline  
Old 11-12-2011, 01:50 PM
  #29  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 706
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TRADLER View Post
I ve got the foams I want but I can t find rims other then CRC for 12th scale does anybody have another supplier.
Thanks
Windtunnel sells rims, and I think rc4less does too.


When re-using rimms, the CRC's will melt, but Jaco wheels do not. (atleast for 1/12 scale).

Shawn
Shawn68z is offline  
Old 11-12-2011, 04:24 PM
  #30  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
TRADLER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 478
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Shawn68z View Post
Windtunnel sells rims, and I think rc4less does too.


When re-using rimms, the CRC's will melt, but Jaco wheels do not. (atleast for 1/12 scale).

Shawn
I couldn't find 12 scale rims on either of those sites. do you have a product number?
TRADLER is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.