R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-11-2002, 09:25 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default HELP! Did I kill my receiver?

So here's the thing; I opened my Novak 27mhz FM 3 channel receiver to replace the antenna. While trying to pull the circuit board out of the case, I accidentally pulled on one of the components, a small blue rectangular thing soldered to the board.

Well, it popped open, and the contents spilled out. In a mess. Inside were a series of small black squares and several metal separating pieces. Now they're in a pile.

I tried to assemble them back, in a manner which seemed... uh... logical, but the receiver no worky no more.

Did I totally kill my receiver? Anyone know what these squares are? (I'm thinking perhaps the receiver tuning crystals or something?) Can I fix it? Is this a component I can replace? Is it worth it?

Help!

There's a picture below of the receiver in question; the yellow circles show the remainder of the component on the breadboard and the blue "cover" off to the right.

I'm cross-posting this to several boards, and checking responses on all of them, so if you subscribe to more than one board, there's no need to answer on all of them - but if you know what I broke (especially if you know how to fix it) please respond on at least one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg killedreceiver.jpg (25.3 KB, 170 views)
sixandeightstri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 12:14 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to shockwave

well if its just the cover I'd think ur ok....but I see little metal things there to. If those came outa the box then I';d say ur RX is a gonner.
shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 06:29 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Doesn't look good to me...

Perhaps Novak will take it back in and replace the part - cheaper than a whole receiver.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 07:15 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Check out Novak's web site they list on there excahnge costs. It sounds like your RX is dead. They have very quick turnaround times.

http://www.teamnovak.com/cust_serv/non_warranty.pdf
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 07:31 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to motoxr

man ill tell u what happened to me at novak, it good though. i sent in a copuple of xxl recieevers for refurb. they were cmpletely out of xxl so they sent me back 2 xxtra synth. recievers for my 38 dollars refurb fee. i cant say thats what will happen to you, but thats the type of company they are. deliver better than their promise usually.
motoxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 09:26 AM   #6
Regional Moderator

beside killed your receiver, you also killed your wallet.... hehehe LOL
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 09:40 AM   #7
Tech Master

Looks bad.

Send it back to Novak. They are really good about this stuff. I have a friend that bought a inoperable cyclone for $5 from this guy. He sent it to Novak along with a $40 service charge and said "its not working". They sent him a brand new one in the mail. $120 speed control for $45....can't do much better than that (besides getting XXTRA recievers for your XXL ).

Novaks customer service is the best out there. LRP on the other hand.....well, thats another story....
Modena AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 09:57 AM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

I must agree with Al- Novak is second to none in customer service.

I sent a Cyclone in that only had 3 packs on it in stock but I didn't have a reciept. I wrote everything that happened, and you could see the Cyclone was new- didn't have a scratch on it. I told them I understood that with no receipt I would have to pay the service charge and I was OK with that- I just wanted them to know what happened so they could evaluate the ESC and possibly use the information to curb future failures.

They sent me a new Cyclone and wrote "good faith warranty"on the reciept!! I'm not saying they will let every Tom Dick and Harry get free warranty work, but you can bet that they have me as a customer for a long time!! I mean, if Brian Kinwald can basically own off road for years and now he's a top 5 threat in on road at every race with Novak ESC's, then they must be pretty darn good.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 02:07 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to motoxr

there really isnt many companies that do these type of things for customers. customer service is just about a thing of the past.
motoxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 02:32 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by daniz24
beside killed your receiver, you also killed your wallet.... hehehe LOL
Bad joke dan
Yokomo Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 09:01 AM   #11
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

humm....well...i want to send my cyclone back to them...but the problem is i live in hk.....do i just use regular mail and send it to them or DHL?
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 09:04 AM   #12
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

have to agree that novak has really good customer services...although i didnt send anything for them to repair...they are really patent and explained everything to me really clearly when i keep bombarding them with emails!
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 02:44 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Smile

i would send it back to novak telling them waht happened and suck up a little and see what happens maybe they'll replace it!
rctc3 is offline   Reply With Quote