Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 10-04-2010, 05:18 PM   #241
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to E.J. Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLeach View Post
Which compound was this?

I had a similar handling issue with the soft compound on carpet, haven't tried the mediums on carpet, the mediums on asphalt were good, but didn't last very long for me, and haven't tried the hard compound on carpet or asphalt.

I know a lot of guys like these tires, but they're not my first choice.

I obliterated the soft compound tires I had on asphalt [which hooked up fairly well, but turned into a one-run tire, lol], they powder pretty easy in that kind of abuse. When I cut them open to inspect afterwards, 2 of the tires had the inserts glued to the sidewall and wheel about an inch in length. Those 2 tires were also the ones that showed the most wear, and were installed on opposite corners of the car.
Soft compounds are not recommended for asphalt. The glue issue we've addressed.

Thanks,

EJ

Solaris Racing Products (SRP) Solaris Spec Tires!

www.solarisrp.com | www.apexhobbies.com | www.topracingusa.com
E.J. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #242
Tech Master

The set I ran in 21.5 at the KO were great, but I also wasn't going very fast! I know a lot of people were talking about the tires separating from the wheels, in the pits...bad glue jobs, apparently. Most were running a thin line of CA around the rims to reinforce them. I never had to do anything to my set. In fact, since we run Solaris as the spec tire in Super GT, it's all I ever use and the tires just seem to get better with age. They last a LONG time.

I don't think everyone was having trouble with them and Paul Lemieux looked like he was on rails all weekend (even when I think it was Rick Hohwart accidentally flattened out his car), but I imagine it would have affected open 17.5 and mod the most.

Wouldn't surprise me that it slipped Danny's mind to replace a set of tires. He had his hands very full at the race, with running tech and everything else.
kdeselms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:34 PM   #243
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 180 (99%+)

on the 21.5 class last kopropo grand prix @ westcoast i dont hear any problem on solaris tires, in fact i only used 1 set of tires for the whole 2 days event 4 qualifying and triple a main its amazing ..or because we are just slow
pinoy69racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #244
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. Evans View Post
Sorry to hear about your experience Mike. I told Danny during the race to replace the set. I thought that he did. I'll find out why he didn't give you another set.

I ran the first batch that jackson rc raceway had and they were great but they were packaged and the next batch they received was in a big box unpackaged and they were horrible i have a bunch of the new batch and actually packed up and went home at that trophy race,i thought it was my cars but ran another brand in practice and they had no grip issues. the solaris tires ran great for less than a minute and then they would just give up to much grip and get very loose i even checked tire temps and they were fine.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #245
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

Quote:
Soft compounds are not recommended for asphalt. The glue issue we've addressed.

Thanks,

EJ
I know they're not, it was actually an accidental run, didn't realize my blunder until I got back to the pits and saw the tires I'd intended to run still sitting on the table.

Glad to hear the glue issue's been addressed. I'll give the softs and mediums another try this winter carpet season before I write them off forever.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #246
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Weaver View Post
I ran the first batch that jackson rc raceway had and they were great but they were packaged and the next batch they received was in a big box unpackaged and they were horrible i have a bunch of the new batch and actually packed up and went home at that trophy race,i thought it was my cars but ran another brand in practice and they had no grip issues. the solaris tires ran great for less than a minute and then they would just give up to much grip and get very loose i even checked tire temps and they were fine.
warren - what race was this?? the charity race? the memorial day race? i didn't hear of any issues like that at jackson this summer. the setup for these tires were definitely different that our muchmore or jacos from last season..
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:59 PM   #247
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

LOL about the tires being bad at Jackson.

99 Percent of the people that ran them had absolutley no issues at all. All cars in the video below are on the batch of hards in question here. I see no issues with traction at all in this video, I hear tires squealing indicating traction.

And the track was around 130-150 all weekend during this race. The temps were over 100 degree with 70 percent humidity.

As far as I heard of the 700 or so sets Jackson went through this summer maybe 5 tires came unglued.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #248
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (97%+)
Send a message via AIM to King of B Main

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your experience Mike. I told Danny during the race to replace the set. I thought that he did. I'll find out why he didn't give you another set.
I went to Danny right after I talked to you and he replaced them . He stepped up.

EJ, you have a issue with your tires and you need to get it fixed. No disrespect . I didnt see you get 1 good run without your car spinning out and you are Mr. Consistant.

Guys, I am not trying to bash the tire. Im just concerned that they will keep selling the tire without getting it fixed. Also they are trying to make this are Spec Tire at are track . Yes the tire is good if you get a good set.
King of B Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #249
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The solaris tires were great all summer at Jackson. I think I had one tire that needed some touch up gluing and it was very surprising as my other 20 sets or so were all perfect.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:21 PM   #250
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to E.J. Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of B Main View Post
I went to Danny right after I talked to you and he replaced them . He stepped up.

EJ, you have a issue with your tires and you need to get it fixed. No disrespect . I didnt see you get 1 good run without your car spinning out and you are Mr. Consistant.
Yes Danny came to me after you talked to me and I told him to replace the set and I would take it off his invoice.

Solaris Racing Products (SRP) Solaris Spec Tires!

www.solarisrp.com | www.apexhobbies.com | www.topracingusa.com
E.J. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #251
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I am sure that Warren was referring to the "No Trophy Race" at Jackson R/C held 8/14. I recalled seeing him leave early out of frustration.

In Warren's case, I don't think the problem was with the Solaris Hard tires, it was just his experience with setting up his TC5 for the changing track conditions and the tire nuances. Warren last raced on these tires at the Memorial Day race with success. The rest of you guys (Larry, Hanulec, Karl) and including Randy had over 2-1/2 months of weekly practice running these tires at the weekly club races. We all learned how to set up the cars using these spec tires at Jackson. Several visiting racers who rarely run at Jackson on the Solaris tires also had difficulty trying to find grip.

Again it is not the tire since everyone had to use the same. Having the Solaris tires also used as a spec tire for weekly club races put guys like Warren at a very deep disadvantage. Which is ironic, a spec tire was sold as putting everyone on the same playing field.

This is a case where using the same spec tire for club racing reduces the fairness at the trophy races. Spec tires at IIC or Snowbirds is not the same because those are site-purpose built tracks where nobody has an advantage.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #252
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
LOL about the tires being bad at Jackson.

99 Percent of the people that ran them had absolutley no issues at all. All cars in the video below are on the batch of hards in question here. I see no issues with traction at all in this video, I hear tires squealing indicating traction.

And the track was around 130-150 all weekend during this race. The temps were over 100 degree with 70 percent humidity.

As far as I heard of the 700 or so sets Jackson went through this summer maybe 5 tires came unglued.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
funny cause all i saw that day was a lot of cars spining out during the day and remember others saying the same thing.I am not sponsored by solaris like you larry so of course you will disagree with me but the fact is i did test the old batch versus the new and the old ones were better,and squealing is just meaning the tires are breaking traction and will cause excessive heat causing tire issues,when we ran rp's when they were good you never heard a squeal from them just like the first batch of solaris,just making a point i spent a lot of money on tires for the short amount of time i raced at jackson,and i didnt say a thing about tires coming unglued ,99 percent is very off.
warren
Old 10-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #253
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamB&B View Post
I am sure that Warren was referring to the "No Trophy Race" at Jackson R/C held 8/14. I recalled seeing him leave early out of frustration.

In Warren's case, I don't think the problem was with the Solaris Hard tires, it was just his experience with setting up his TC5 for the changing track conditions and the tire nuances. Warren last raced on these tires at the Memorial Day race with success. The rest of you guys (Larry, Hanulec, Karl) and including Randy had over 2-1/2 months of weekly practice running these tires at the weekly club races. We all learned how to set up the cars using these spec tires at Jackson. Several visiting racers who rarely run at Jackson on the Solaris tires also had difficulty trying to find grip.

Again it is not the tire since everyone had to use the same. Having the Solaris tires also used as a spec tire for weekly club races put guys like Warren at a very deep disadvantage. Which is ironic, a spec tire was sold as putting everyone on the same playing field.

This is a case where using the same spec tire for club racing reduces the fairness at the trophy races. Spec tires at IIC or Snowbirds is not the same because those are site-purpose built tracks where nobody has an advantage.
I do see what you are saying but as for set ups i have no problems with figuring changes i have been doing this for a long time and understand a lot about suspension geometry.
thanks
warren
Old 10-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #254
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

From day one I had mine working ok. Additionally I have never run outdoor asphalt in any discipline (save for one race in 2007) until this summer at Jackson.

Not trying to slight anyone with this comment, just making a note of how I though the tires were good.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:19 PM   #255
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

We went through about 150 sets of Solaris tires at my track this spring and I saw a total of 4 tires with issues. Not for sets but four different tires. Not bad.

I also ran the Hard compound on carpet this past Sunday and was VERY impressed at how they performed. All but one other driver ran Jaco Blues. The other driver who ran the Solaris Hard's was actually dealing with a bit to much grip and my car was just about right. I won and had the 2nd fastest lap. Peirsol had TQ.
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote