Wiki Posts
Search

Touring car or Pan car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 02:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Touring car or Pan car?

Ok guys I am ready to buy my first onroad car. But I have a question for all you onroad guys. As a newbie to onroad what are the +'s and -'s of touring cars verse Pan cars???? I race offroad currently and I enjoy driving 4-wheel much more than 2-wheel offroad. Will that transfer over to onroad also?????
Old 01-29-2010, 03:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by motomanpat
Ok guys I am ready to buy my first onroad car. But I have a question for all you onroad guys. As a newbie to onroad what are the +'s and -'s of touring cars verse Pan cars???? I race offroad currently and I enjoy driving 4-wheel much more than 2-wheel offroad. Will that transfer over to onroad also?????
Its late and I have been doing way too much typing. All I am gonna say is that I have raced both. TC is way more fun then pan car. Just my opinion and my 2 cents
Old 01-29-2010, 03:37 AM
Tech Master

first you have to see what classes your local club has.

If both are being driven then you can think about 2wdrive or 4wdrive.

I only drive pro10 235mm in the summer season and 200mm pancar 2s 13.5t for indoor season and for me two wheel drive cars gives me more satisfaction cause you really need to take apexes and watch your driving line but that is to each there own.

With the same motor and battery two wheel drive cars are faster then 4 wheel drive if traction is available.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default Touring vs Pan

Pat,

If you can come up to Timezone on Sunday and try them both out. As far as the comparison I race WGT pan, 235 Pro 10 Mod (Summer asphalt) and 17.5/13.5 rubber touring.

Touring Rubber (vs. Pan):
- cars about $100-$250 more expensive
- more maintenance more complex setup, harder to get car to handle well
- coming from offroad they are probably easier to drive
- typically the biggest class at Timezone and the NWIC races
- No truing tires and on carpet Jaco Blues are good for 30-40+ runs
- Parts are about the same cost Photon vs CRC GenX10, Xray more expensive

WGT Pan car (vs touring)
- a little easier to get car to handle well
- less maintenance but more work truing tires (Although with 1s Lipo tires are good for 5-10 runs per truing and depending on diameter good for 20+ runs overall)
- car drives like it's on rails, where you point it it's going, which may be more difficult for someone coming from offroad
- very good following at Timezone and is the second class that is always ran weekly (unlike 1/12 scale and foam touring) Strong class at NWIC races.

Until you drive them both and get the feel yourself everyone will have different opinions. In general Rubber cars take a smoother, more finessing driving style to be fast. WGT pan cars you can be more aggressive and hard driving.

In general my opinion for anyone initially getting in to onroad would by WGT but with 4 wheel offroad experience you my like touring better to start.

Troy
Old 01-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Tech Regular

I would say touring car. i think it is more fun. but thats maybe just me.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DaredevilD
Its late and I have been doing way too much typing. All I am gonna say is that I have raced both. TC is way more fun then pan car. Just my opinion and my 2 cents
I`ll take your 2 cents!

Originally Posted by Troy Mckune
Pat,

If you can come up to Timezone on Sunday and try them both out. As far as the comparison I race WGT pan, 235 Pro 10 Mod (Summer asphalt) and 17.5/13.5 rubber touring.

Touring Rubber (vs. Pan):
- cars about $100-$250 more expensive
- more maintenance more complex setup, harder to get car to handle well
- coming from offroad they are probably easier to drive
- typically the biggest class at Timezone and the NWIC races
- No truing tires and on carpet Jaco Blues are good for 30-40+ runs
- Parts are about the same cost Photon vs CRC GenX10, Xray more expensive

WGT Pan car (vs touring)
- a little easier to get car to handle well
- less maintenance but more work truing tires (Although with 1s Lipo tires are good for 5-10 runs per truing and depending on diameter good for 20+ runs overall)
- car drives like it's on rails, where you point it it's going, which may be more difficult for someone coming from offroad
- very good following at Timezone and is the second class that is always ran weekly (unlike 1/12 scale and foam touring) Strong class at NWIC races.

Until you drive them both and get the feel yourself everyone will have different opinions. In general Rubber cars take a smoother, more finessing driving style to be fast. WGT pan cars you can be more aggressive and hard driving.

In general my opinion for anyone initially getting in to onroad would by WGT but with 4 wheel offroad experience you my like touring better to start.

Troy

Thanks Troy,

The explanation's between the two types is exactly what I was searching for. I have this inside feeling that touring car is the way to go for me I sure would like to come up to Timezone on Sunday!!!!
Old 01-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Tech Regular

As you are just starting your best bet would be a VTA touring car as they are much easier to drive using a higher turn motor. In this area the VTA cars are very popular and many enjoy them alot, very cost effective also because of the slightly lower speeds and the choice to run older TC models and still be competitive. As mentioned already the 12th pan cars are more suited for the hardcore racers and are crazy fast. You have to know what you're doing as per rollouts/gearing ratios, tweak balancing, DRIVING ect... Heres a couple videos for you to check out for a comparison between the two...

note: both of these guys have been driving and setting up RC cars for 20yrs... they make it look easy!

Touring Car - VTA-21.5-AeTC5 - 45sec.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rbPNDmkvRI

12th scale - 13.5-1S lipo - 50sec.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ6CRl_i2_4
Old 01-29-2010, 09:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I`ll take your 2 cents!
It doesn't sound like Darren has .2 cents to spare!!
Old 01-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MetalShield
As you are just starting your best bet would be a VTA touring car as they are much easier to drive using a higher turn motor...
Unfortunately, there isn't a VTA class within a few hundred miles of where the guy lives.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Tech Master

Want wicked fast, turn on a dime car? Come up to TZ on Sunday and drive my 1/12th pan car.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If I ever make it up to Northern Oregon Pat, your more then welcome to take my TC for a spin. Pan Car and TC are both awesome classes. But I think TC is a little bit more of a solid class more places. If I travel to northern cali, or northern oregon, somebody is always racing TC.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PDX-Spike
Want wicked fast, turn on a dime car? Come up to TZ on Sunday and drive my 1/12th pan car.

If I am able to make it I will bring my remote that is if you have spectrum
Old 01-29-2010, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dpatterson26
It doesn't sound like Darren has .2 cents to spare!!

I am going to add 3 cents that way he will have a deposit back
Old 01-30-2010, 12:05 AM
Tech Master

If I am able to make it I will bring my remote that is if you have spectrum
Yes, I have a Spektrum radio & receiver.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Starting onroad with a pan car is a great way to be disgusted and never want to come back to onroad EVER !

Don't get me wrong, I love both equally, but starting with foam tires is just absurd.

Pan car is so much more subtle to setup than TC...

Seriously, do yourself a favor, go RUBBER TC and in 2 years, when you're hooked up to onroad, try a well setup 1/12th car. By then you'll be ready to have the commitment and patience it takes to enjoy pan cars, padawan.

TC is great, it is fast, furthermore IT IS CHEAPER THAN ANY PAN CAR when raced at a similar level, and people who say it's too complicated are wrong, they just don't want you to beat them after 2 days of practice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.