Wiki Posts
Search

Solution for the stock class problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
(this is not directed at NovakTwo...your post just made me think )

That describes the paradox that is "spec" racing.

I like what Novak has done and like the looks of the new Speed Passion. BUT when I see some, not all, guys who swear that racing is too expensive and stock/spec racing needs to be cheaper...they are the same ones with driving an Xray T3.

Cheap is one thing...

Equal racing is another...

Some equate slower classes and less expensive racing...they are not always the same...

So the fact that the Novak Havoc combo is cheap is just a plus. But if your are putting it into you $500 chassis with $300+ radio and using a $100 battery....?

When you are racing a "true spec" class and Joe is beat by Jim and he peeks over into Jim's pit and sees $1500 in equipment...then he sits back down and looks at his $150 plastic car...it's likely that he will start to think he can't compete. That negates the whole help the newbie get into racing for cheap idea. I have yet to see a thread saying lets put down our high end TC's and run TT01's.

It's one thing to spend $$$ it's another to keep bleeding people dry every week with updates. Go on the X-ray thread and there was a big uproar over how many updates the car was getting.... Some racers will deal with all the updates and might even love it because they know they have a big advantage for a weekend or two with a brand new speedo.... lol

One thing I'm still figuring out is the guys who used to run 13.5 that moved down to 17.5 last year saying they like the speed of the car at 17.5. One year later the 17.5 with boost control and RPM control and delays are going faster than 13.5 last year and these same people are against a fixed speed control timing?

Lets face it Novak, LRP, Tekin, Speed passion can come up with different fixed timing on their speedo will have similar speeds with the only difference being how to gear the motors...
With the current new speedos the motor will just keep going....
Old 02-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
aahh.. thats total bullcrap. How expensive your gear is has NOTHING to do with what class you should be in. For example, i got my girlfriend into the hobby, so we race together. I have NO problem buying her the best of the best. When she started (just last year) I started her out on an Xray 09, Futaba 3pk, Tekin RS esc, etc. Why? because A) I wanted her to have a similar setup to my own so I would have an easier time helping HER get setup, and 2 she would have great gear she could grow into as she improved around the track.

Does that mean she should of been running mod her first time driving an RC car EVER? (she couldn't go one lap without crashing). the answer is of course "no".

So your statement is rediculous.
First of all, it's ridiculous. (Who knew Wild Cherry could spell?)

A Futaba 3PK is not a $400 radio and is 2 generations old.
A Tekin RS is not a $300 speed control.

And of course if you give your equipment to a new racer they don't have to race in the best class (no one here mentioned modified). We're not talking about newbies here.

So take your own ridiculous post and shove it up your (oh wait Marcos J may be watching!)
Old 02-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccartips
But to tell them they need $1,000 equipment to win even before they have joined their first race is disastrous and a big turn off.
Telling a newbie to spend $$$ is definitely the wrong thing. But it's not what you tell people...it's what they want to buy. And when some buy the higher dollar items they think should get better or that's what is needed. It's happens all the time...unfortunately. It's the perception that is the problem. So if all the guys running a "spec" class are running all high end gear...but have a Havoc combo...and newbies come in an see that...some will get the perception that is what's needed. I think that is sending a mixed message.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Telling a newbie to spend $$$ is definitely the wrong thing. But it's not what you tell people...it's what they want to buy. And when some buy the higher dollar items they think should get better or that's what is needed. It's happens all the time...unfortunately. It's the perception that is the problem. So if all the guys running a "spec" class are running all high end gear...but have a Havoc combo...and newbies come in an see that...some will get the perception that is what's needed. I think that is sending a mixed message.
+1
Old 02-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Francis M.
One thing I'm still figuring out is the guys who used to run 13.5 that moved down to 17.5 last year saying they like the speed of the car at 17.5. One year later the 17.5 with boost control and RPM control and delays are going faster than 13.5 last year and these same people are against a fixed speed control timing?
lol

That's doesn't exactly describe me (don't think you were trying too ) BUT I am a guy who likes the speed of 13.5 but drive better in 17.5. But when the V203 software came out my car was crazy fast. So I was on the fence about the speed. But I really liked the tuning options and the challenge. It was all for not because our track banned V203 in 17.5 a week after it came out. So the options are/were run 17.5 the old way or run 13.5 with V203 ( mod ).

Last edited by PitNamedGordie; 02-04-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=PitNamedGordie;6957018]lol

That's doesn't exactly describe me (don't think you were trying too ) BUT I am a guy who likes the speed of 13.5 but drive better in 17.5. But when the V203 software came out my car was crazy fast. So I was on the fence about the speed. But I really liked the tuning options and the challenge. It was all for not because our track banned V203 in 17.5 a week after it came out. So the options are/were run 17.5 the old way or run 13.5 with V203 ( mod ).[/QUOTE]

I wish more local tracks did that..... It is in their best interest IMO
Old 02-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

When you are racing a "true spec" class and Joe is beat by Jim and he peeks over into Jim's pit and sees $1500 in equipment...then he sits back down and looks at his $150 plastic car...it's likely that he will start to think he can't compete. That negates the whole help the newbie get into racing for cheap idea. I have yet to see a thread saying lets put down our high end TC's and run TT01's.
I once in a while show up to the silver can class with a box stock TA05 and win podium. Use my futaba mid level esc and cheap yeah racing lipo. Proves you don't need uber money to compete.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=Francis M.;6957147]
lol

That's doesn't exactly describe me (don't think you were trying too ) BUT I am a guy who likes the speed of 13.5 but drive better in 17.5. But when the V203 software came out my car was crazy fast. So I was on the fence about the speed. But I really liked the tuning options and the challenge. It was all for not because our track banned V203 in 17.5 a week after it came out. So the options are/were run 17.5 the old way or run 13.5 with V203 ( mod ).[/QUOTE]

I wish more local tracks did that..... It is in their best interest IMO
Not when 90% of the racers went and bought the RS after the week 203 came out...
Old 02-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=redbones;6957224]

Not when 90% of the racers went and bought the RS after the week 203 came out...

They can run 13.5 with everyone else... lol

I don't think it should go across the board 17.5 maybe 17.5 beginner?
Old 02-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=redbones;6957224]

That somewhat happened at my track. Not 90% but....

What happened was that weekend after V203 we had some of our 13.5 drivers running 17.5 and matching their old 13.5 times. That coupled with the fact that we don't have enough guys to always have a novice class...it was just not fair to the newbies to try to compete.

I ran 17.5 at the IIC last summer and I am really interested to see how the classes will break out and what the rules will be with all the new changes. And with the results of the Snowbirds the lines between classes have been blurred.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Tech Adept

funny how people want to go faster in 17.5 classes when two faster classes exist. 17.5 is just as fast if not faster than 10.5 with older speedy, and yet these 17.5 turbo freaks do not move up? why? trophy hunters who want to win by having the latest and greatest rather than stepping up to the next class, mfgr's wanting to make money and complying with ummm ZERO RULES!!

imo, variable timing speedies should be banned. seriously whats the point of having a 17.5 going as fast as a faster class, that then needs to go faster to maintain a break between classes. The result is everything is slowly compressing up to mod speeds and getting more complicated for no good reason.

what's next? mod needs to move from RIDICULOUSLY FAST to MAD CRAZY FAST? just so there is a reasonable gap back to super stock?
Old 02-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
First of all, it's ridiculous. (Who knew Wild Cherry could spell?)

A Futaba 3PK is not a $400 radio and is 2 generations old.
A Tekin RS is not a $300 speed control.

And of course if you give your equipment to a new racer they don't have to race in the best class (no one here mentioned modified). We're not talking about newbies here.

So take your own ridiculous post and shove it up your (oh wait Marcos J may be watching!)
Whatever, dude. You said that anybody running expensive gear has no place in a sportsman class, and im just saying that the cost of your gear has nothing to do with what class you can or SHOULD sign up for. You can go on correcting my spelling all you want (and telling people to shove things), but it wont make your post any more correct.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

A new racer goes to a track,watches and then talks with the better drivers at the track and asks about his equip.9 of 10 he or she likede what they saw,and the gear is bought.why bring things up such as this,the people running the track are the ones in charge.At times it is there livelyhood or are insured through an orginazation with general guidelines and unless it is a national event they give the track final say on motors and classes.Can a ROAR rep chime in?dlarry?
Old 02-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Dear New Racers,

If you are reading this thread, don't be intimitaded by expensive equipment.

1. Become friends with a good and friendly racer in your track. Hopefully he/she becomes your mentor.
2. Ask him to drive and setup your equipment (e.g. tt01, or what kit you have).
3. Then practise driving until you can drive as fast as your mentor.

But most important, show up to your local track and race. Once you experience the fun, how much it cost will no longer matter.

Let's play!
Old 02-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Whatever, dude. You said that anybody running expensive gear has no place in a sportsman class, and im just saying that the cost of your gear has nothing to do with what class you can or SHOULD sign up for. You can go on correcting my spelling all you want (and telling people to shove things), but it wont make your post any more correct.
You're going against the whole point of a sportsman class!! Why would you spend all that money to run what could be called novice? And if you win, what did you prove? You have the biggest wallet? We're trying to encourage more people to get into this hobby. Don't scare them away with thousand dollar beginner setups.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.