Old 01-29-2010, 10:26 PM   #46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatterson26
Buy a Tekin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillit View Post
yeh right! with the stuff SP's workin on, your PB is gonna be faster than you are
Ohhh Snap
Old 01-29-2010, 11:08 PM   #47
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Come on now how would you get any faster if you didn't have some fast guys to follow.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:10 PM   #48
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaredevilD View Post
Come on now how would you get any faster if you didn't have some fast guys to follow.
Go fast, follow none.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:14 PM   #49
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Buy a Tekin
Old 01-29-2010, 11:20 PM   #50
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to JSeay

I believe that at least a portion of the problem with electric racing is that there are too many different ideas that are trying to be fixed with a single solution, and I think that through the multiple threads on this topic that there has not been any one idea that can fix all the problems.

I do believe that at the core of all of this the current rules we operate on need a makeover to recognize that in electric racing unlike other forms of racing there are many more variables that don't exist in other forms of racing, from track size to surface type to location, and to try and have a single set of rules that can be applied to every situation makes the rules unnecessarily rigid and forces a club or track to implement only the rules they see fit to. Is it possible that we are asking that the rules be too complex? What if the rules set forth by ROAR focused on generalities and less on what should classify as "stock" or "mod" racing.

In my opinion ROAR could and should focus on creating guidelines that focus on the structure of the different car types 1/10th TC, Pan, Mini, off road buggy and truck,1/12th, etc. They can and should certify equipment used in organized racing in the US much like they do now, this should be expanded to all aspects of electronics, not only motors and batteries. I believe they should limit the technology to include firmware updates to periodic reviews (say quarterly).

I think that instead of asking for "stock" to be 21.5 or 25.5 or that the sand baggers to move onto mod we should be asking ROAR to eliminate the class structure from the rulebook altogether and let the tracks and race promoters manage how drivers should be separated, as that is what is happening now anyways.

Like it or not there will always be those at your track that someone feels is sandbagging in a class for the easy win. If your track does not offer a MOD class or if the class has only three people in it, does it make sense for them to run in it, or to run in the classes that the rest of the club is running in? At the end of the day even if you wont admit it, it makes everyone who races that guy/gal a better racer in the end does it not?
JSeay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:14 AM   #51
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
I call BS on this. I mean really if you wanted to ensure making the A main at a big event then you would sign up for the mod class. Most of the time there are less than 10 racers in the class. It is far from a given with all the talent in the stock class that someone would race in that class and just expect to win.
You may be right but I will only race mod, stock is like watching paint dry!!!!
Old 01-30-2010, 12:28 AM   #52
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Interesting thread. But what really is wrong with the stock class?

Too fast? What about figuring out how to beat the competition instead of dumbing down the class by limiting it?

Too expensive? I'm on a budget like most. If it's too much, I don't get it. I do need to remind myself periodically this is just a hobby. I do this because I'm a gearhead and I like new stuff, but really?

Just a couple more thoughts. Seems most of the posts deal with symptoms. Could the answer lie at the local level as JSeay said?

Rob............
Old 01-30-2010, 01:28 AM   #53
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robio View Post
Interesting thread. But what really is wrong with the stock class?

Too fast? What about figuring out how to beat the competition instead of dumbing down the class by limiting it?

Too expensive? I'm on a budget like most. If it's too much, I don't get it. I do need to remind myself periodically this is just a hobby. I do this because I'm a gearhead and I like new stuff, but really?

Just a couple more thoughts. Seems most of the posts deal with symptoms. Could the answer lie at the local level as JSeay said?

Rob............
I think the problem is that electronics, batteries and motors all go through a revolution right now which makes it difficult to pin down one reason or another for things not being all equal in stock classes. Once things settle down I guess it will be easier to make simple rules.

As for cost, I think it is about the same as running mod (or anything else for that matter let alone for brushed silvercan) plus in mod I see the risk of burning things up a lot easier (not counting user error).

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:48 AM   #54
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaredevilD View Post
Buy a Tekin
I said "go fast, follow none" not "go slow, follow all"
Old 01-30-2010, 06:02 AM   #55
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by energydrink View Post
this couldn't be any more wrong. modified is driver's skill, and stock is equipment racing. spec racing is an expensive class, and a cheater class.

10000% right

Í'm racing modified pancars(proten gtp),any motor(540 size),any battery(7,4 2 cell).And may the best win.

The people that win are just better drivers.Keeping a modified pancar rocket in total control you've got to have your act together.

Last edited by kc steringa; 01-30-2010 at 08:36 AM.
kc steringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:22 AM   #56
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

hey all,

West Australian here, this is only my second season of racing i am just about to start, so as a relative noob, i thought you may be interested in my thoughts.

Our club only races 3 elec classes, Mini, 17.5 Stock, 10.5 Super Stock.

Mini is very self explanatory. FUN FUN FUN. We dont even allow BL.

Stock is for noobs who can run what ya brung and for amatures to run true stock racing cars. The numbers are low i must admit, but that is our sport here in WA. The noobs don't care if they loose, while the stock racer doesn't do well enough to care about trailing cars.

Super Stock is where it is at for us. From my experience, this class is very even. Well the ones that know how to drive find it even, i get my arse kicked every time i go out. But i find the speed more than enough and our track is a fast 1/8 onroad style of track. Traction issues are starting to creep in, but mainly tyre abuse is the key factor.

Come trophy rounds, the good racers commit to Super Stock, where they have raced all season, while the less experienced, likes of myself, would change the motors to a 17.5 and then enjoy the racing which is at more my level. This is not trophy hunting (as i don't have any.. LOL), but taking a realistic look at my driving ability. We seem to get through this with very little dramas. But in saying that we dont have any people that drop back to stock if they are competitive in Super stock.

This is probably most of the problem solved. The individuals need to choose a class that is appropriate to their ability. And be honost about it.

My long term aim is definately to compete at the Super stock level and as soon as i am good enough i will. I would rather loose with good racers on the track in a higher class than steal trophies from those kids that would benifit the most from winning the stock trophy. It's more about encouragement.

As someone said earlier. It is just a hobby, and having fun is what it is all about. Yes we can be competitive, and winning is great (again, still yet to experience this) but for me, as a noob, i am happy to have finished the entire day being only 1 or 2 laps down from the leaders, and not having to rebuild my car.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:05 AM   #57
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

I think the biggest problem is that people continue to call it "stock". There is nothing stock about the equipment we are using today. Motor timing is adjustable, speedo timing is adjustable and "stock" speeds are now at mod speeds from yesterday. If you want a beginner class then we should start running 25.5 motors with non-adjustable timing speedos. I don't think any self-respecting "pro" racer would dare sign up for this class. 17.5 still seems to draw alot of attention so leave it alone. Lap times in 13.5 and MOD are the same, so combine the two and let's race. Locally, we have 17.5 and MOD. Indoors, Mod has been 13.5 or 10.5. We'll see how it goes when we get back outside with the new software.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:01 AM   #58
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I read threads like this and can't help but laugh. Seems every has the same problem, that is the thinking that their opinion is the only right one and everyone else is wrong.
I run 21.5 2 cell carpet oval and it works for me, if it don't for anyone else, not my problem, run what you want.

If you like mod, run mod, if you prefer spec, run it, just shut up and race. This is supposed to be fun, so quit taking it so seriously.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:27 AM   #59
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnR-Racing View Post
I read threads like this and can't help but laugh. Seems every has the same problem, that is the thinking that their opinion is the only right one and everyone else is wrong.
I run 21.5 2 cell carpet oval and it works for me, if it don't for anyone else, not my problem, run what you want.

If you like mod, run mod, if you prefer spec, run it, just shut up and race. This is supposed to be fun, so quit taking it so seriously.
This is a constant problem, that needs addressing. For the sake of the future of On Road remote control car racing. This needs addressing. It's killing the sport.