R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #391
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 587
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaredevilD View Post
These companies won't last long if they are not able to make a profit. There is not a huge markup in electronics.
So let me ask you this: Will people quit racing 17.5 or 21.5 classes if there were a dollar limit imposed on the ESC?

Don't you think the manufacturers would figure out how to be profitable in light of this rule? As mentioned. Castle Creations has an ESC out that is VERY comparable to the Tekin. It retails at $149.95. So, why do the other manufacturers need to ask $270, $279.95 or even $400 or more for thier comparable products, especially when they know full well that the street price (in most cases thier imposed minimum advertised price) is well below that? Perhaps one should ask why these manufacturers feel the need to place bogus retail price points on these products to begin with.

Mamba Max PRO MSRP: $149.95, Street price: $129.95 - ~13% discount from retail.
Tekin RS MSRP: $270.00, Street price: $169.95- ~37% discount from retail.

It looks to me like there would be room for the Tekins to fit within the confines of such a rule. The $149.95 price point was only a suggestion as well. The rule could just as easily be set at $99, $179 or $199.
biz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #392
Tech Elite
 
Francis M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Posts: 4,719
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Please....ARGUE me about what can go wrong about the following system?

What I don't understand is....why there is a LIMIT? Ban? or tell ppl you cannot do this and cannot do that..? Why wasting all these time and effort?

Why there is a CAP? Why telling TEKIN you cannot develope the V206 software or tell LRP you cannot do the SXX Stock Spec II? Why ppl has V203 cannot use that simply because it is TOO FAST compare to the other brand that is not as fast as V203?

There should be only 3 classes....MOD (13.5 and faster) Stock (17.5 motors only) and NOVICE (21.5 motor only). SPEC class (spec speedo and spec motor like 25.5 or 21.5...varies by series and organization and clubs).

What is wrong with buying the $179.99 speedo with free software upgrade? Please don't tell me we need to keep the cost LOW so more ppl can race. This is NOTa cheap hobby....everyone know upfront and they spend what they can afford. If they do realized that they cannot compete and no longer be able to spend, they should quit. Yes, it is racing, any kind of racing in this world involve spending money, alots of money....

I really don't like the term "CHEATER" here because someone is using the latest the greatest software that as long as you have money, you can get it "technology". This is year 2010...we do NOT want to go back to year 2000 when ppl can do the "SPECIAL MAGIC TOUCH" on the brushed motor that can boost the extra 10,000 rpm or extra VOLTAGE...there are NO CHEATER involve with the speedo mfr. They are only there to make their products better. If that is the SPEEDO that get the winning ticket, we MUST buy that...or be the 2nd, or 3rd. That is Racing....is always like that.

About the "COST" adjustment...you are wasting your time, 1st you have to convince ROAR, then you have to tell each MFR to lower their cost, then you have to enforce each TRACK to TECH these speedo.....when it is said and done, electric RC car should not required any batteries to power...I think.

I know some parent will spend $50 to buy the "BIBLE" of the Pinewood Racing Derby just so their kids can have the advantage over the others that cannot afford $50....isn't that FAIR? Absolutely...free country.


I do think it is reasonable to put limits on the entry class... We already have motor limits to separate the group why not put a cap on Speedo's also just for Stock IMO.. There has to be a reasonable entry point in sedan onroad... As for exposure, A lot of people already know about R/C but when most of them see the equipment used at the lowest level of sedan (Stock) they all think it's crazy. This is the reaction even from some racers who have been out of racing for 10 yrs... Like I said you can't just changing to higher winds to redefine stock. As it it the higher winds are more expensive and the slower the class gets the more tech is needed to get the speed back... Putting tech cap on Stock will just run up budgets out of control....
__________________
TQ-racing Yokomo BD7 Airtronics
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #393
Tech Elite
 
stitchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,794
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

I believe that rookies are our future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the rookies' laughter remind us how we used to be
__________________
Speedtechhobbies.com
stitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #394
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Milwaukie OR
Posts: 1,064
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz77 View Post
So let me ask you this: Will people quit racing 17.5 or 21.5 classes if there were a dollar limit imposed on the ESC?

Don't you think the manufacturers would figure out how to be profitable in light of this rule? As mentioned. Castle Creations has an ESC out that is VERY comparable to the Tekin. It retails at $149.95. So, why do the other manufacturers need to ask $270, $279.95 or even $400 or more for thier comparable products, especially when they know full well that the street price (in most cases thier imposed minimum advertised price) is well below that? Perhaps one should ask why these manufacturers feel the need to place bogus retail price points on these products to begin with.

Mamba Max PRO MSRP: $149.95, Street price: $129.95 - ~13% discount from retail.
Tekin RS MSRP: $270.00, Street price: $169.95- ~37% discount from retail.

It looks to me like there would be room for the Tekins to fit within the confines of such a rule. The $149.95 price point was only a suggestion as well. The rule could just as easily be set at $99, $179 or $199.
The only speed control that I can think of and agree that is out of hand as far as price goes is the A.E Black diamond. The rest of the speed controls I don't think are priced too badly. They have all been about the same price for as long brushless has been around. Don't make this so political. It is what it is. This isn't a cheap hobby. Making things cheaper will only make quality cheaper causing you to buy things more then once.
__________________
eXpress Motorsports
Timezone 2,Timezone Raceway Park,Rose City Scale Racing.
DaredevilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #395
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,106
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
I do think it is reasonable to put limits on the entry class... We already have motor limits to separate the group why not put a cap on Speedo's also just for Stock IMO.. There has to be a reasonable entry point in sedan onroad... As for exposure, A lot of people already know about R/C but when most of them see the equipment used at the lowest level of sedan (Stock) they all think it's crazy. This is the reaction even from some racers who have been out of racing for 10 yrs... Like I said you can't just changing to higher winds to redefine stock. As it it the higher winds are more expensive and the slower the class gets the more tech is needed to get the speed back... Putting tech cap on Stock will just run up budgets out of control....
I just want to know....how LOW is too LOW? Or, how SLOW is too SLOW?

To make STOCK racing limited to any 17.5 turn is very much enough say. Most ppl believing Tekin speedo with their software and I myself believing the Speed Passion software and we will all figure out whos the best at the track. And look at the future STOCK class with no cap or no software ban....17.5 motor is pretty much the same, like 2-3 choices only and they are not like night and day different on performance. Chassis are all open, price are not important...setup and driving skill is. Lipo batteries...again, you paid what you get and that need to be update constantly no matter how. Speedo...$180 for something that last for a year or so I think is very reasonable. NOT to mention they are updatable.

For me...I think that is the year 2010 STOCK RACING. We are confusing right now about the 17.5 is because of the 13.5. And somehow someone named them SUPER STOCK at the beginning and thats why we think 17.5 is too fast because 13.5 is NOT fast enough.

I just don't see 17.5 can compete with 13.5 on a 200 foot long track...NOT even close. So, the solution is...get rid of 13.5, move them to the MOD level. Eliminated this so called "super stock" and leaving the STOCK to something we all agree on. Hey, if ppl thing 21.5 should be stock, that is fine by me...

Remember the 10.5 suppose to be 19T equal....guess where is the 10.5 class right now...? I think we should do the same for the 13.5 and call out the 17.5 THE STOCK.

About new ppl get scare away from the equipment that STOCK racer has...to be honest, I don't see why the equipment in 2010 is any worst then the year before....? Brushless speedo with monthly update....brushless motor required ZERO work. Lipo batteries can charge and play 5-7 per day without any work involve. RC car cost around $250 with all the setup feature that a $500 RC car has..........SPEC racing like USVTA or RCGT are more then popular then before.

We just dont' want to keep creating CLASSES or banning things that suppose to help the hobby. All the talking should be done at the TRACK or at the PARKING LOT....
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #396
Tech Elite
 
Francis M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Posts: 4,719
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
I just want to know....how LOW is too LOW? Or, how SLOW is too SLOW?

To make STOCK racing limited to any 17.5 turn is very much enough say. Most ppl believing Tekin speedo with their software and I myself believing the Speed Passion software and we will all figure out whos the best at the track. And look at the future STOCK class with no cap or no software ban....17.5 motor is pretty much the same, like 2-3 choices only and they are not like night and day different on performance. Chassis are all open, price are not important...setup and driving skill is. Lipo batteries...again, you paid what you get and that need to be update constantly no matter how. Speedo...$180 for something that last for a year or so I think is very reasonable. NOT to mention they are updatable.

For me...I think that is the year 2010 STOCK RACING. We are confusing right now about the 17.5 is because of the 13.5. And somehow someone named them SUPER STOCK at the beginning and thats why we think 17.5 is too fast because 13.5 is NOT fast enough.

I just don't see 17.5 can compete with 13.5 on a 200 foot long track...NOT even close. So, the solution is...get rid of 13.5, move them to the MOD level. Eliminated this so called "super stock" and leaving the STOCK to something we all agree on. Hey, if ppl thing 21.5 should be stock, that is fine by me...

Remember the 10.5 suppose to be 19T equal....guess where is the 10.5 class right now...? I think we should do the same for the 13.5 and call out the 17.5 THE STOCK.

About new ppl get scare away from the equipment that STOCK racer has...to be honest, I don't see why the equipment in 2010 is any worst then the year before....? Brushless speedo with monthly update....brushless motor required ZERO work. Lipo batteries can charge and play 5-7 per day without any work involve. RC car cost around $250 with all the setup feature that a $500 RC car has..........SPEC racing like USVTA or RCGT are more then popular then before.

We just dont' want to keep creating CLASSES or banning things that suppose to help the hobby. All the talking should be done at the TRACK or at the PARKING LOT....
17.5 was created 2 years ago for a reason... 13.5 which was the current stock class was definately too fast once everyone figured out how to gear the motors..... Well, can you honestly say 17.5 is slower than the 13.5 of two years ago... I don't want to re arrange all the motor classes again. I'm just saying It is obvious that the Smarter thing to do for Stock spec is now to include Speedo in the restrictions, not just the motor wind... They can also throw 13.5 in mod to make it more simple..... 2- classes with a big separation in speed and TECH!
__________________
TQ-racing Yokomo BD7 Airtronics
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #397
Tech Master
 
PitNamedGordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Highwood, IL
Posts: 1,789
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
17.5 was created 2 years ago for a reason... 13.5 which was the current stock class was definately too fast once everyone figured out how to gear the motors..... Well, can you honestly say 17.5 is slower than the 13.5 of two years ago... I don't want to re arrange all the motor classes again. I'm just saying It is obvious that the Smarter thing to do for Stock spec is now to include Speedo in the restrictions, not just the motor wind... They can also throw 13.5 in mod to make it more simple..... 2- classes with a big separation in speed and TECH!
Francis I know you are for restricting speed control software. And to be honest, if things went that way I'd wouldn't fuss too much. But I'd personally would much rather run 21.5 with timing advance than 17.5 w/no timing. Reason: Mainly I like to tune my motors/ESC. I did in the brushed days and I do now. Advances in technology will happen with motors too. Trinity CO27's were faster or better than P2K's...right? Also look at brushed motor can/end bell and brush design...Team Checkpoint and Orion's cans and brushes were definitely advances in technology. So if we limit ESC advances you will see more advances in motors. We probably will anyway (See Speed Passion Citrix motors). I see adjusting to technology being easier than trying to limit or stop it.
__________________
☆ The Track @ Harbor Hobbies ☆ www.harbor-hobby.net ☆
PitNamedGordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #398
Tech Master
 
TeamB&B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,177
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchy View Post
I believe that rookies are our future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the rookies' laughter remind us how we used to be
Those are the lyrics from Whitney Houston.
Minus the crack coke.


+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
__________________
RCAmerica / Sweep
TeamB&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #399
Tech Elite
 
stitchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,794
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamB&B View Post
Those are the lyrics from Whitney Houston.
hahaha 1000 bonus points for Team B&B!!

(I was afraid nobody would get it)
__________________
Speedtechhobbies.com
stitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #400
Tech Elite
 
stitchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,794
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

oh crap, I see Hebiki
__________________
Speedtechhobbies.com
stitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #401
Tech Master
 
TeamB&B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,177
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchy View Post
oh crap, I see Hebiki
Hebiki is busy putting out fires on the Tamiya Racing thread.
__________________
RCAmerica / Sweep
TeamB&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #402
Tech Elite
 
stitchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,794
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamB&B View Post
Hebiki is busy putting out fires on the Tamiya Racing thread.
That would make sense if putting out and starting meant the same thing

but...back on topic...on road is DOOMED!!!!
__________________
Speedtechhobbies.com
stitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #403
Tech Lord
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,919
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamB&B View Post
Hebiki is busy putting out fires on the Tamiya Racing thread.
i dont put out fires.. i start them

you mean you dont like the idea of having 32 different mini classes?
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #404
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Christchurch, NZ
Posts: 1,063
Default

On road isn't doomed, touring is! I got into touring on-road, but with all the hoop-la (great word) it's getting kind of tiring. Maybe time to look at pan cars.
The world doesn't end with touring cars. Unless they all turn on us and attack us I guess.
That would suck.
__________________
Agama A8 Evo | GRP .21 | Spektrum | Savox

My car just hit 88mph. I hope it comes back soon....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:52 PM   #405
Tech Addict
 
Sam-E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 654
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post
Francis I know you are for restricting speed control software. And to be honest, if things went that way I'd wouldn't fuss too much. But I'd personally would much rather run 21.5 with timing advance than 17.5 w/no timing. Reason: Mainly I like to tune my motors/ESC. I did in the brushed days and I do now. Advances in technology will happen with motors too. Trinity CO27's were faster or better than P2K's...right? Also look at brushed motor can/end bell and brush design...Team Checkpoint and Orion's cans and brushes were definitely advances in technology. So if we limit ESC advances you will see more advances in motors. We probably will anyway (See Speed Passion Citrix motors). I see adjusting to technology being easier than trying to limit or stop it.
Play with software all you like but lock the timing, technology has never advanced as fast as the current software updates due to timing and this is the problem. ROAR should have enforced this rule from the start, timing locked motors and esc.
__________________
TMORC - Official Club for the 1/10th Offroad Electric Worlds, 2012!!
Sam-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GT10 Class JimmyMac Electric On-Road 886 09-07-2010 04:55 AM
ROAR Stock TC Guideline Suggestion Greg Sharpe Electric On-Road 179 10-19-2007 02:03 PM
ROAR STOCK motors.... rule changes regarding BRUSHLESS Joel Lagace Electric On-Road 164 08-28-2007 09:07 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:22 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net