R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #346
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Solution....

13.5 and faster motor.............OPEN MOD.

17.5 is the new stock (no software ban or turbo with supercharger and NOS are allow, no need to spec).

21.5 is the entry level or novice...

25.5 is the new SPEC class like USVTA or RCGT.

Very easy to resolve, no need to buy new motor, just use whatever you have and pick the class. No need to spec, no need to ban the software of the day...........how hard to figure this out?

DONE.....
We have already started........every new TC driver is steered towards the 21.5, as well as potentially new participants steered towards SCT's, VTA, or Mini's to get their feet wet and not feel intimidated.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #347
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

LOL electric solution to everything is adding a slower class to dilute onroad even more.. I remember when 17.5 was introduced 2 years ago to replace 13.5 and everyone was all praise in how perfect the speed was.. Well these same people are now bringing lap tops to the track escencially to go as fast as a 13.5 with old technology... Just cap the TECH on stock and be done with it for a few years IMO.....

17.5 with the standard speedo's had the perfect speed for onroad IMO.....

If you are that hard up to go a little faster with boost contol and gizmos. there are two classes faster 13.5 and mod.....

Brushed used to have stock, 19, and mod.... Lets not add another sandbagger class.....
Old 02-08-2010, 02:54 PM   #348
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz955i View Post
Jiml,
I respect your opinion but not sure I'm buying your argument. This segment you are describing really sounds like a parking lot basher. In my opinion there are far more opportunities for them to cheaply enjoy the hobby than for the racers. They can get a Hot Bodies Cyclone RTR or TC4 RTR for around $250 and do everything you describe at a local parking lot or tennis court. If somebody has no real interest in racing all this back and forth about what is stock vs what isn't and whether things are too fast are irrellevant. Those are issues for racers. Does a person who doesn't care about racing and is getting enjoyment out of their less expensive car drop the hobby because of what a racer is buying? On the other side of the coin do you know any racers who have quit because they just felt like running their car up and down the street and became frustrated because their carbon fiber wonder wasn't quite suited for doing so? I think these are two distinct segments and one doesn't really influence the other to any large extent.

If we want to grow the racing segment maybe there should be more attempts to appeal to people that have done other types of racing and are either too old or too broke to continue? Before getting old and fat I used to race motocross and surprisingly a lot of the principals of getting faster translate. This really fills a void that I missed and at 38 I have more disposable income to spend on the hobby. Perhaps an older demographic is a better target than a broke 16 year old who will bail the minute some honey flashes a smile. Some of us are looking for any reason to get out of the house.

Wow, that was long winded. Anyway it is cool that you are so passionate about the hobby and want it to grow.

Later,
Chuck
Chuck, I understand why you question my argument. The people I describe are parking lot bashers, or one step up from that. And because you're concentrated on racing, you don't see them.

But my argument comes from personal experience. There once was an on road track here on Long Island called South Shore Hobbies. We raced there on Friday nights and Sundays. Saturdays was a practice day. There was a group of people (I won't call them racers here) that specifically went on Saturdays to avoid the real racers. They just wanted to run with themselves and have a good time. Yes they wanted to get better compared to their friends, but they didn't want to get into serious motor tuning, big dollar batteries and millimeter difference tire truing. They so wanted to stay away from racers that an internet rumor started about a special Saturday race, that ended up being bogus. They heard there was a race so they didn't go that Saturday.

That track was forced to close (business reasons). A few months later a new carpet track opened up, 360 RC Speedway. 360 was started by 2 racers, one of which is a ROAR 1/12 stock national champion. The track was great, with several big screen TV's to follow the action and a great racer focused hobby shop. The group of Saturday racers from the other track decidied to try their luck at the new track. Problem is the track was so racer oriented Saturdays were crowded with racers practicing. They tried to have a good time but when they were on the track the racers kept telling them to move out of the way, and tried telling them about "track equiette." Well, as you can imagine, this wasn't fun for them, so they went home and sold all of their RC rar racing stuff. They were out of the car racing hobby for good. When I asked them why, the answer was "we didn't like the attitude there." Now to defend the racers of 360, they really didn't do anything wrong, but they were at that level of competition where everything was serious. And that's what turned the "bashers" off. Unfortuantely 360 is also closed.

This is only one example. I have seen this happen over and over again. No one sees or hears from these people becuase they're out of the hobby. Why go on RC Tech if you don't race any more?

This is the problem. This is why we're losing racers, and not getting any new ones. If we can fix this, we can save RC racing.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #349
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
LOL electric solution to everything is adding a slower class to dilute onroad even more.. I remember when 17.5 was introduced 2 years ago to replace 13.5 and everyone was all praise in how perfect the speed was.. Well these same people are now bringing lap tops to the track escencially to go as fast as a 13.5 with old technology... Just cap the TECH on stock and be done with it for a few years IMO.....

17.5 with the standard speedo's had the perfect speed for onroad IMO.....

If you are that hard up to go a little faster with boost contol and gizmos. there are two classes faster 13.5 and mod.....

Brushed used to have stock, 19, and mod.... Lets not add another sandbagger class.....
But what happens is a few years?
Old 02-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #350
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post
But what happens is a few years?
I don't know, If the rules are strick enough hopefully it stays the same....

Diluting onroad gets boring. You can show up with 60 sign ups and and race against 5 people in your class.... How much fun is that?

All I'm saying is keep is simple 3 classes for sedan... Roar is even putting a stop to sponsored drivers running 17.5, so why not take the extra step by making it a little more ave joe friendly with a more refined guideline?
Old 02-08-2010, 03:20 PM   #351
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
I don't know, If the rules are strick enough hopefully it stays the same....

Diluting onroad gets boring. You can show up with 60 sign ups and and race against 5 people in your class.... How much fun is that?

All I'm saying is keep is simple 3 classes for sedan... Roar is even putting a stop to sponsored drivers running 17.5, so why not take the extra step by making it a little more ave joe friendly with a more refined guideline?
True. I'd like to see some ROAR rules in place either way...21.5 stock...17.5 stock. Doesn't matter to me. The technology is here now and will only get better/faster. So I'd like this argument to be OVER by the end of this year
Old 02-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #352
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

That's a sad story...

Unfortunately, it's hard to get beginners into on-road. It just isn't beginner friendly. All the hardcore equipment, high dollar cars, adjustments, angry, uppity experts, etc, etc...

And the current "Slash" of on-road? M-03/05 minis perhaps..but out of the box performance of 15 mph (if that) is hardly enticing to someone shelling out a couple hundred bucks at least to get into it. Or maybe you want them to start with E10/TT-01 type kits...but race with whom?

See how off-road is so much more enticing, with 25+mph* right out of the box? The Slash is durable too. Try taking an M-03 or E10 or TT-01 to 25-30mph and see how long they last...ok maybe a while, but you get my point...
Old 02-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #353
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

f it, They should go back to brushed motors in stock lol. The Black diamond and tekin's never made brushed motors out of control like this lol. I just ran the speedo I had. Never came across something like that before... dumb it down then. You can get brushed motors cheap, brushed esc's that were once 150 bucks are now 15-25 lol. Granted when I ran those I could almost fall asleep in a straight line lol. But that's what stock is for.

The 17.5 guys were practicing and in my mind I thought it was 13.5. that's not right....

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #354
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post
True. I'd like to see some ROAR rules in place either way...21.5 stock...17.5 stock. Doesn't matter to me. The technology is here now and will only get better/faster. So I'd like this argument to be OVER by the end of this year
We've been arguing this for decades, and you want an answer this year?

How about sharing some of what you're smoking with your RC Tech buds.[where's a stoner smiley when you need one?]
Old 02-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #355
Tech Champion

And for those looking to Traxxas to bring something to on road, look up 4-tek!
Old 02-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #356
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
We've been arguing this for decades, and you want an answer this year?

How about sharing some of what you're smoking with your RC Tech buds.[where's a stoner smiley when you need one?]

Well according to some we were in Shangri-La before advanced timing ESC's were here...

I have faith that the powers that be can and will deal with issues plaguing on road. Our local track has taken steps already and I'm happy with them...I'd like to see something on the national level.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:40 PM   #357
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Did ROAR not have a dollar limit for stock and 19T motors at one time? Since all the magic happens in the ESC now, why not put a dollar limit on the BL ESCs or ESC/motor combo used in 17.5 classes?
biz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #358
Tech Elite

I was just thinking about that the other day when I was looking at 17.5 and 13.5 motors. I was like F my life, these are more than my mods used to be and wondered if roar just shit canned the price rule?

Old 02-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #359
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz77 View Post
Did ROAR not have a dollar limit for stock and 19T motors at one time? Since all the magic happens in the ESC now, why not put a dollar limit on the BL ESCs or ESC/motor combo used in 17.5 classes?
well the RS (non pro version) is about 150. So it would likely fall into the affordable area. But it still has the 2.03 software...

Old 02-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #360
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7ttlm View Post
I was just thinking about that the other day when I was looking at 17.5 and 13.5 motors. I was like F my life, these are more than my mods used to be and wondered if roar just shit canned the price rule?
I asked this same question in another thread. The manufacturing of brushless is of course different. And the cost of making higher wind motors is actually more than the low turn motors. So we are actually getting a price break on spec motors. Also ROAR does have a price limit on brushless motors:

8.8.2.2 The maximum retail price of a 05 brushless motor shall be $149.00.