R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-27-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 2s LifePO4 battery packs above 2Ah & under 400g

Battery thread for the discussion of the LifePO4 battery, mods please close the other thread.

Peoples, please keep the discussion to the LifePO4 battery, this is not a thread to discuss the validity or the inferiority of the battery, yes the battery is inferior voltage wise but the LifePO4 has its place.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Ozvena, we all know that you have packed up your ball and gone home, now you can start afresh... just remember, do not try and push your opinion just discuss the facts.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Sounds good Sam-E!!

Now I have a question, what happened to the old 5cell racing, was 5cell only popular in Europe or did it take hold in the US?? My thoughts are the LiPOFE will be good for people who liked 5-cell racing, I dont particulary think LiPO's are dangerous but choice is a good thing with racing. I do not see why LiPOFE should not be sanctioned for racing, hopefully they will one day soon.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
Tech Master

Unless we're looking to slow down the spec classes, LiFE really only has a place in Modified to satisfy the guys who ran 5 cells with lower wind motors.

As of now, LiPO has no foreseeable disadvantages in comparison to any of the old round cell tech, or the LiFE cells.

IMO; I would wait until LiFE has trenched itself into some other forms of technology so we can see how the cells behave, and on the RARE instance that the might fail, what effects does it have on the cells. (Explosion, combustion, venting, etc..)
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
Tech Adept

I agree with you Danny but I think they should be legalised and would not mind running against people who have them. Not for safety reasons, as I beleive Lipo's are safe but for another option, perhaps a tight track where speed is not needed. I suppose my point is, if people want to run them, then why not, they are not getting any advantage.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #6
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Thought this was interesting:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709190
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:57 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Default maxamp lifep04

MaxAmps.com brings you the exclusive "Green Series" LiFePO4(LFP) battery packs. These new "life" packs will not catch fire or explode from over-charging. In addition to being safer than lipos, they are more robust.

They provide 1000+ usable cycles(4 times longer than lipos) under the same discharge conditions which makes these new packs the ultimate in performance and value. The new 4500mah 6.6V pack can be safely charged extremely fast using our Hyperion line of balance chargers under the LiFePO4 setting.

Features:

Perfect fit in all standard rc car battery trays.

Up to 15C balance charge rate(67 amps) for quick charging.

1000+ usable cycles.(low cost per cycle)

Inherently safe technology.

Low voltage cutoff is not required.
Phat-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Interesting, perhaps the Life is not as safe as some people think, very interesting actually. However, IMHO, I think both Lipo and Life is safe if used correctly but it does open a can of worms for the Lipo knockers.

And the maxamps do look good but I would not say the ultimate in performance though, I would like to see this battery head to head against the Reedy.

Is the maxamps a deans or similar plug or the plug in type like the Reedy.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #9
Tech Adept

What is the C rating for these batteries? how do they perform punch wise against a lipo? I mean, does the voltage only effect top speed or is the acceleration better/worse? Valid questions I think because if better than they may be the battery of choice for a tight/technical track.

Just thinking outside the square!!!
Old 01-27-2010, 11:35 PM   #10
Tech Addict

What is the C rating of the Reedy??
Old 01-28-2010, 03:16 AM   #11
LMB
Tech Initiate

Sam-E the C rating for the Reedy is 30C, not that good for a race battery, I would expect at least a 40C.
LMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:29 AM   #12
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

To paraphrase the movie "Tommy Boy", If you want, I can take a dump in a hardcase and put a sticker with "80C" on it for ya (Just Kidding!)

Seriously guys, what really matters is what you actually see performance wise from the battery since there is no standard as far as C rating goes with what manufacturers put on the packs.

I wouldn't mind trying out one of these LIFePo4 packs, but one of the tracks I go too will not allow any of the Life batteries unless they are ROAR legal.

May have to wait till summer to to purchase one for 1/8 scale and give it a go.

I agree though that mod would be the place where the packs probably get most use, that or in conditions in a spec class where you need to get more traction control, or, for those who just want a battery that doesn't have the lipo fire fear, but you don't need a warchest of them like NiMHs.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
To paraphrase the movie "Tommy Boy", If you want, I can take a dump in a hardcase and put a sticker with "80C" on it for ya (Just Kidding!)

Seriously guys, what really matters is what you actually see performance wise from the battery since there is no standard as far as C rating goes with what manufacturers put on the packs.

I wouldn't mind trying out one of these LIFePo4 packs, but one of the tracks I go too will not allow any of the Life batteries unless they are ROAR legal.

May have to wait till summer to to purchase one for 1/8 scale and give it a go.

I agree though that mod would be the place where the packs probably get most use, that or in conditions in a spec class where you need to get more traction control, or, for those who just want a battery that doesn't have the lipo fire fear, but you don't need a warchest of them like NiMHs.
I am not one who buys into the hype of the C rating, I would rather see some real world results.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:26 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-E View Post
Interesting, perhaps the Life is not as safe as some people think, very interesting actually...
Actually Life is safe and do not have two main disadvantages that LiPo has. You can overheat and overcharge/overdischarge Life quite safely and they can take quite hard abuse ... I have done abuse and overcharging/overdischarging intentionally to see what will happens. Main rule for self made packs is not to cover cells venting hole. If venting hole is not covered, in abuse situation it opens, some liquid flows through it and that is it. That is why I let my 8yr daughter and 11yr son play with rc cars and then charge the battery packs for these rc cars. I use Deans everywhere so wrong connection is not possible. And in about a year I had no situation that would be dangerous for my children. For racing I use LiPo, but for bashing LiFe is a good option. Of cause where weight does not matter :-)
Just my 2 cents...

www.rc-cars.lt - offroad in Lithuania
www.lasa.lt - onroad in Lithuania
audriusv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:24 AM   #15
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

thats why I am looking into these batteries alot, mainly for my daughters to have a safe option they can work with.