Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Is all of that XRAY T3 adjustability really necessary? >

Is all of that XRAY T3 adjustability really necessary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is all of that XRAY T3 adjustability really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 1101

I was going to mention TT01 but some one beat me to it
Kyosho RTR TF5 tub car: can still get podium finishes at club level. But who here would honestly buy one over a Xray 2008 ??
Someone who has the skill to tune it and beat you with it.

And about TT01, we had a guy who won the championship once (in stock no less) with it.

Don't discount a car until you see who's driving it.

I am pretty sure any of the top drivers in the world today would make mincemeat of most people with just about anything.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by niznai
Don't discount a car until you see who's driving it.
Thats the point I tried to make...

Still alot of rhetoric about driver skill being more important than car
So I'll rephrase,
But who HAS bought a TT01,TF5 Tub instead of Xray 2008,TC5 etc ??
Old 01-28-2010, 12:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

my $0.03. The xray cars do a lot of the same things other cars do. Just in a different manner. Because if you think about it there are actually more roll center variables in cars like the hot bodies and the tamiya than there are in the xray. But if you know how to set up a car, and what the changes do. It allows you to run the same basic chassis on surfaces such as high grip carpet where the demands are much different than say untreated asphalt parking lots.

The base setups are ment to be just that, baseline setups. And for the people that actually want or need to find every 0.1th of a second. These setup changes such as wheel base, roll centers, shock position, camber and spring rates are tested at the track on race weekends. Some are fine adjustements, some are larger. I rarely see two drivers at the same track running the same setup. And all these setup variables allows you to taylor the handling of your car to your liking.

Personally I love the adjustability. That's why you don't see everyone running tc3's anymore. Because having the ability to change the setup easily and in fine and course adjustments is what a lot of people use to go faster and be more consistent. Even the change between the T2 , 007 and 008 netted me faster lap times. and 008 with 007 rear arms made me faster. The ability to change things to changing track conditions in one of the most competitive forms of rc is a must. Watch an offroad race at a high level. even the pros bobble, cause its offroad. Touring car? you can watch a race where 4 cars dont spread out more than 6 feet for an entire race.. that's when every 0.1th counts. That's why I think the evolution of offroad isn't as fast as onroad.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

Is all the adjustability necessary?
If you're a beginner, no, it will confuse you.
If you're a top club racer, no, still not NECESSARY, but may help.
If you're a regional racer/sponsored, maybe, it will PROBABLY help.
If you're pro, yes, without a doubt.

I'd say if you are in the first category, get something like a Tamiya TA05 or HB Cyclone S, or the X-Ray T2 Pro. They have a lot of adjustability, but also are quite forgiving in that the set-up doesn't have to be perfect to keep them driveable.
Most of the rest of the set-up features the T3 has over the above is wank-factor to the average racer. Most guys don't know how to set them up, and get it wrong, and it ruins their enjoyment of the hobby.
I have a HB Cyclone TC that has 99% of the adjustability of the T3 (no on-board castor adjsutment), and I go with web-site set-up's and only tune the basics like shock oil, springs, positions, camber and castor.
Tyres have the biggest effect on tuning anyway. Get that sorted and you'll be climbing the ladder fast
Old 01-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

So, I guess my question is have you driven the T3 yet? Also how many noobs go out and buy a $500 touring car out of the gate? My best guess is the people who buy xray cars are intermediate club racers to pros. I see WAY more LOSI, Associated or similar race cars running with new guys. So for the most part the beginner category you speak of is a minimal part of all of this. And I drove a friends T3 that was the stock setup, and it was silly fast. Probably the fastest car out of the box that I have run in 16 years of RC. You also have to start somewhere. The tuning and everything won't learn themselves lol. I can tell you more monday when I get mine lol. and I don't think the xray has that many more adjust ability than other sedans. The chassis flex and quick roll centers are I think the biggest differences. And I am pretty sure there isn't onboard caster adjustment. But its actually very similar to the hot bodies and tamiya cars... Just a thought

Last edited by rx7ttlm; 01-28-2010 at 01:57 PM.