R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-26-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default Defective Jaco Blue Tires

I bought a set of jaco blue tires at a Hobby Town USA. I ran the tires for about 4 minutes on a new carpet track. When I looked at the tires, after the run, the belt was coming through the rubber on 1 of the tires. I sent the tires back to jaco and received my same tires back 3 weeks later. I called jaco and they said that they swapped out the defective tire. (There are no new tires in the ones I got back, and I got back the same 4 tires I sent them.)

They now want me to send the tires back to them again, so they can inspect them again.

Shouldn't they have sent me a new set of tires because their product is clearly defective? What if I run the tires and another tire develops a problem?

Jaco should stand behind their product and stop playing games.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Tires.

The Jaco tires have been a very good tire. I have never had a wheel break, or a tire wear out before its time.. Some are slightly wobbly but that the nature of the beast.

Nick
Phoenix82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

Have any pictures of the defect?

All my Jaco tires have been nearly bullet proof and wear forever with great grip.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

I bought a set of jaco blues from A MAIN and when I opened the package one of the tire`s was like what you are describing , the belts was already worn through , with out even being ran. So I called A Main and they took them back no question`s asked.Unfortunatly I forgot to take pic`s before I sent them back.
traitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HenBeav

haven't had any problems until lately with jaco blues. A few months ago they started to develop like a fold line on the inside of the tire then would tear after a month or more. Then the ones i got at novak race only made it through the novak race and 2 club races before one tore on the inside fold.

Support your local Lowe's, Walmart and Layne Machine Works INC.
HenBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

We have been running Jaco Blues for a long time now. At first they were fantastic tires. they were very consistent and wore very well. Well I am sad to say that those days are over. I have personally bought probably 50-60 sets of Blues in the last couple of years and the tires have made a turn for the worse. Belts are tearing inside the tires the rubber is exploding off of the rim (without free reving the car). The new inserts don't seem to have fixed the issues with the wearing inner groove and the rims are noticeably harder after the newest running rim change. My biggest complaint is that they break in so differently from set to set. The last set I tried took forever to break in and the newest set broke in much faster. The tires feel very inconsistent since the rim and insert change. Our local track (who buys lots of Jacos) is once again considering reviewing our tire options for the future. The product seems to have got a lot worse over the last couple of months.

I have seen quite a few brand new tires with the belt showing...that is just poor QC. It is too bad that they are not taking care of you...apathy is very contagious.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to smoke81 Send a message via Yahoo to smoke81

The tire hs defently changed as of late. They seem to come in quicker and go away faster.

I also had a belt show through on two of my tires from the novak race, after one run.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I've run the newer tires back to back with a brand new set of the older tires and I think the newer tires handle much better. The wear seemed fine for me except that I free-reved my rear tires and they both made a popping noise then developed a ripple presumably where they "popped". My fault. The belt issue sounds concerning though. Hopefully it is just a bad run of tires. They seem difficult to get right now so I wonder if things are changing again??
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Same thing happened to me. Wrote to their customer service and did not get a reply back. I put the new set on my car, and (1) tire was balloning really bad. I could feel the insert was not right, set it down, gave it some throttle and the insert tore right threw.

jland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #10
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke81 View Post
The tire hs defently changed as of late. They seem to come in quicker and go away faster.
while i think the jaco blues are the best thing rubber tire racing has seen since premounts, i have seen a bit more wear lately. what used to bring 30-50 runs for guys on the rug now seems like an impossibility. while that's certainly still fairly economic as far as the competition goes, i have heard some talk from the guys i run with in the NEGS series of the rubber getting softer in recent batches. i know that first run blues are solid as he** and from what i understand that never used to be the case.

i hope a good thing isn't going the way of, well, seemingly everything...

Last edited by seaball; 01-26-2010 at 02:55 PM.
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:06 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by jland View Post
Same thing happened to me. Wrote to their customer service and did not get a reply back. I put the new set on my car, and (1) tire was balloning really bad. I could feel the insert was not right, set it down, gave it some throttle and the insert tore right threw.
I had a tire blew the belt completely out of the tire after a high speed crash on the straight....that was cool. The tires were well used when it happend. I know a few people locally have said that they do tend to rip more then they use to.... I have had a few tires that had rips in them but they were used nothing new that ripped.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #12
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Bill I know when I ran at HT before the Nats they had problems on occasion with the cords showing thru on some new sets. I know SR, JR and a few others had that problem. Casey normally changed them out before the guys ran them. I guess HT would then send them back to Jaco and get replacements.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thats why I hate running JACO the rubber they use are crap... But they are darn cheap so mostly on the big races they use it as spec tires.

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:44 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

I used to have an issue with the tires tearing on the inside fold line only after a few runs on carpet. I knew it was a setup issue as previous sets never did that. Turns out I had to much rear grip forcing the front tires to work much harder then before. Couple setup changes later and haven't had an issue since.
RobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

I had the same issue. I bought a set this past weekend and after 2 rounds of qualifying you could see the belts coming through the rubber. I thought it was a one off defect so I didn't raise a fuss. But it sounds like something has changed recently. I use Jaco Blues all the time and this is the first time this has happened to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenBeav View Post
haven't had any problems until lately with jaco blues. A few months ago they started to develop like a fold line on the inside of the tire then would tear after a month or more. Then the ones i got at novak race only made it through the novak race and 2 club races before one tore on the inside fold.
Hmmmm!? I bought mine at Trackside. I wonder if Jaco can track that batch of tires. Or if anyone else who ran at the Novak or at Trackside lately had issues with the tires they got there.