Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What radio do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 12:24 PM
Tech Adept

Default What radio do you recommend?

I am sure this has been beat around 67,000 times, so forgive me for bringing it up again.
I am looking to upgrade radios. The M8, M8(backlit with novak synthasized setup), Futaba 3PK, and the KO.
While doing a lot or reading, I see that the M8 is used by a large amount of the major racers.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Rick
Old 03-21-2004, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

everyones going to say what they use. Hold each in your hand see which is more Comfortable For you. They are all TOp-notch Radios. Cant Go wrong with any that you mentioned.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:32 PM
Tech Adept

I live in Miami, I cant find much in the way of radio variety like you can in Orlando (most local places sell only Futaba, but can get the rest of them). My son lives in Orlando also, Alice at TQ recommended the KO radio to me last time I was up there, she said that the M8/novak synthasized radio glitched often up there, that is a concern, mabe it was just that perticular setup on a car.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by compromise
I live in Miami, I cant find much in the way of radio variety like you can in Orlando (most local places sell only Futaba, but can get the rest of them). My son lives in Orlando also, Alice at TQ recommended the KO radio to me last time I was up there, she said that the M8/novak synthasized radio glitched often up there, that is a concern, mabe it was just that perticular setup on a car.
of course Alice is going to recommend Ko cause ALex and Gabe Lopez Run it. Helios Is my Favorite Radio. I use M8 and going to get Helios soon. You can Call TQ Hobbies they can Ship Orders to you if you would like.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:00 PM
Tech Adept

Default personally

like the original reply stated you must hold the radio. I run an R-1 and found it a little heavy but know i'm fine. I tried driving a fellow racer car with an m8 and found that i hated the feel of the radio. I held the Ko but i could barely fit my hand in it. I've also tried the 3pk which i find is the most comfortable and i might upgrade to very doon
Old 03-22-2004, 12:57 AM
Tech Elite

Yep, the grip test is very important. For example, I dont feel comfortable with the 3PK. And the Mars R is too small for my hands.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:28 AM
Tech Adept

personally i just bought a helios the other day feels much better to me
Old 03-22-2004, 05:11 AM
Tech Elite

Personally I like the feel of the 3pk and the Jr XS3. Comfort is primary. Go to the track and hold as many radios as possible.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:30 AM
Tech Rookie

If you have small hands like me, is there any radio that would be more comfortable than the others mentioned above?
Old 03-22-2004, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

Ko Mars or Mars R. They are small and definately an aquired taste. I hate the feel of them, way too compact for me.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

Yep, KO Mars could a good choise (I neither like them, too small for my hands ).

Maybe you should also check out the Hitec CRX - there are grip padds, which can be taken off, resulting in a thinner pistol-grip.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:44 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Might not be a bad idea to take a look at the MX3 Radio by Airtronics. It may not cost a whole lot like the other radios, but with the features it has and the quality feel, its a winner.

I ran the XR3 and XS3 from JR, good radios, but I like the feel of the MX3 better.