R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-21-2010, 06:08 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default My first electric RC...

Hello,

after a quick search I figure this forum was prety active and had good membership so I joined.

I just picked up (Will be here in 2 days), a Tamiya tt-01e XB hatsune miku Z4, which will be my first electric on-road RC. I have an aluminum center shaft and ends and the Tamiya bearing set coming with it as well. I didn't want the XB version since I like building things myself, but after contemplating the price difference of only $80 between the kit and the XB version, I got the XB version which includes all electronics, battery, and charger (~$240 including the hop-up parts).

So my first question is... for bashing, what's the next best upgrade to get that won't cost too much? I'm thinking about a faster motor or a stiffer upper plate if the chassis flexes too much. Although I don't think flex will be an isue w/ a tub chassis. What about mix-and-match parts from other kits to make the tt01 into a rally car?

I ahve no problems with heavy DIY modifications either. but I'm very limited to tools I have avail with me right now.

And just for reference, here's a list of my past RC experience, all built from kits:
original RC10GT Team Edition
HPI RS4 Nitro
HPI RS4 Super Nitro Rally
aznatama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:26 AM   #2
Tech Elite

The speed tuned gears and larger pinions will make a big difference to the speed.

There is not much you can do about the amount of power the car has without an ESC upgrade, the kit ESC will only handle the Tamiya Sport Tuned which is not much faster than the kit motor. If you upgrade the ESC, then brushless is the only sensible choice - there are a lot of options out there, personally I prefer sensored systems in cars but they tend to cost a bit more.

Unfortunately the TT-01 drivetrain will meet its mechanical limits quite quickly if you put in a hot motor.

Also, the TT-01 is not well suited to a rally conversion as the steering and suspension arms have lots of travel limiters on them and the driveshafts won't articulate much.

That being said, the TT-01 is a sound car, but if you have big ambitions for it, you are better off putting the money aside and saving for a car that is either dedicated for rally, or dedicated to handling high power.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:42 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to MostWanted4TEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznatama View Post
Hello,

after a quick search I figure this forum was prety active and had good membership so I joined.

I just picked up (Will be here in 2 days), a Tamiya tt-01e XB hatsune miku Z4, which will be my first electric on-road RC. I have an aluminum center shaft and ends and the Tamiya bearing set coming with it as well. I didn't want the XB version since I like building things myself, but after contemplating the price difference of only $80 between the kit and the XB version, I got the XB version which includes all electronics, battery, and charger (~$240 including the hop-up parts).

So my first question is... for bashing, what's the next best upgrade to get that won't cost too much? I'm thinking about a faster motor or a stiffer upper plate if the chassis flexes too much. Although I don't think flex will be an isue w/ a tub chassis. What about mix-and-match parts from other kits to make the tt01 into a rally car?

I ahve no problems with heavy DIY modifications either. but I'm very limited to tools I have avail with me right now.

And just for reference, here's a list of my past RC experience, all built from kits:
original RC10GT Team Edition
HPI RS4 Nitro
HPI RS4 Super Nitro Rally
I have a tamiya tt-01 an the best upgrade I got for it was the yeah racing conversion kit. replaces most of the chassis parts with aluminum and has a full set of ball bearings for I believe $140. jus watch also the stock control arms and set up will cause the insides of all 4 tires to eat away to nothing so the adjustable arms are definitely another great option if u don't get the yeah kit

The way to gain a good reputation, is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear. - Socrates
MostWanted4TEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:42 AM   #4
Tech Addict

If it were me I'd sell the motor and speed control then replace them with a eZRun 9T/35A brushless combo. I'd also replace the shocks with alloy ones from 3Racing. I'd get some alloy front/rear hub carriers and front steering knuckles. Also replace the steer rack with a ball raced alloy one. Some universals for the front. Aluminum motor mount. Some front/rear 3racing graphite shock towers.
PaPeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
Tech Elite

I was going to suggest the EZrun combo as well. That's not going to put that much stress on your drivetrain as a fully blown 540 sized BL system.

But as you see two posts above there are plenty of options. I don't know why anyone would spend that kind of money when you coudl ahve bought a much more serious car for what you're about to spend (if you take the advice above).

And if you want a rally car, have a look on ebay. There's a good Yokomo rally car right now selling on german ebay for peanuts, and if you don't know they're pretty much the same as the contemporary world cup winner MR4TC (longer suspension travel).

All being said, the TT01 is a basher and you can bash anything. What would you need upgrades for? There is no purpose to bashing.

Just go bashing and you'll know what you need when you break the first part.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

haha, sounds good.

Thanks for the replies. I am not going to spend that kind of money on this car since it is just for bashing and decorating my room. lol.

I might get the adjustable arms when I need to get a 2nd set of tires though.
aznatama is offline   Reply With Quote