R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Tamiya Mini racing, silly race ideas to make it more funner. :P (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/362461-tamiya-mini-racing-silly-race-ideas-make-more-funner-p.html)

Bob-Stormer 01-20-2010 02:47 PM

Tamiya Mini racing, silly race ideas to make it more funner. :P

We have a discussion going elsewhere where we are trying to imagine scenarios to add to racing Tamiya Mini's that could make the racing even more fun. Feel free to toss in your crazy ideas. Tamiya mini's on a road course circuit. THE ONLY GOAL of these thoughts is to get people on the stand to have a VERY good time, with lot's of laughing and crowd participation. Feel free to post your ideas to have the most fun possible.

Here are some examples:
and in no particular order.

a) At random computer determined intervals, change direction for the rest of the race. If you make it so you have to cross the line before changing direction, you'll have a scenario where you have people going both directions on the track for a bout a lap... THAT'S AWESOME!!! :)

b) bump to pass, mandatory. or at the very least, you have to make the effort to hack the guy passing you.

c) risky short cuts that only save time about 1/2 the time.

d) very small jumps and dots all over the place

e) once on the drivers stand, a random draw takes place and cars and radios are re-distributed to different drivers for that heat. you don't get to drive your car. But, with additional points being given to the car owner if his car finishes well. Imagine the fun if you have a few stick radio and wheel radio guys in the mix. :P

Three 01-20-2010 02:58 PM

I think Bob is snowed in.... :lol:

stitchy 01-20-2010 03:05 PM

People aren't doing this already?

Last night at West Coast RC Raceway in SoCal, the mini drivers did a surpise reverse grid for the main and the more "experienced" drivers lined up backwards for added challenge. During the race we were screaming, "Hack the leader!" and laughing the whole time. We also did a heads up motocross start and a Le Mans start for the qualifiers. You mean like that? :lol:

Bob-Stormer 01-20-2010 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Three (Post 6882266)
I think Bob is snowed in.... :lol:

yep. :blush:

Originally Posted by stitchy (Post 6882305)
People aren't doing this already?

Last night at West Coast RC Raceway in SoCal, the mini drivers did a surpise reverse grid for the main and the more "experienced" drivers lined up backwards for added challenge. During the race we were screaming, "Hack the leader!" and laughing the whole time. We also did a heads up motocross start and a Le Mans start for the qualifiers. You mean like that? :lol:

Great ideas... JUST LIKE THAT! Bring 'em on!

alienbiker 01-20-2010 03:09 PM

I always wanted to see a mini race with an animal pelt or racoon hat on it. call it racoon races or rat races .
Ok... i'm a little odd:nod:

Hebiki 01-20-2010 03:53 PM

how about a section that has NOTHING but dots.. kinda like moguls in skiing? :lol:

side by side starts? :D :lol:

jumps? big enough to be fun... but small enough so that the cars dont get damaged.

ZiG-87 01-20-2010 04:02 PM

I think the random reversing directions thing is an awful idea because you could have 2 cars head on eachother at a combined speed of like 40 mph or so. The jumps, however, sound very fun. :D

Timmie 01-20-2010 05:17 PM

How about doing a team class where two drivers and two cars team up. Then Tie both cars together with a 5ft piece of nylon rope:lol: Both drivers would be forced to drive at each others pace, and the rope could be used to take out other teams on the track and to prevent other teams from passing:sneaky:

Sounds like a lot of fun to me:) I think I will run it by a few of the locals and see if there game:ha:

inpuressa 01-20-2010 05:28 PM

Tie two M03s together, put a oneway in the front one, and no fwd throttle for the rear. Basically, the front car has to do the accel, and the rear one to brake.:lol:

Stealth_RT 01-20-2010 05:33 PM

One week, we set the starting grid up in a circle, with all the cars facing the center. half the cars had reverse enabled, so they started facing backwards. At the tone, they all charged forward or punced reverse and tried to do a power spin to get going. Great fun for the spectators.

Also, I think any cars that break down or die during the race have to left on the track as targets, er obstacles. :) Marshalls have the right to reposition said cannon fodder at their discretion.

Hebiki 01-20-2010 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Timmie (Post 6882937)
How about doing a team class where two drivers and two cars team up. Then Tie both cars together with a 5ft piece of nylon rope:lol: Both drivers would be forced to drive at each others pace, and the rope could be used to take out other teams on the track and to prevent other teams from passing:sneaky:

Sounds like a lot of fun to me:) I think I will run it by a few of the locals and see if there game:ha:

for larger/wider track.. CONNECT them together side by side! :lol: :lol: :lol:

makes me want to get a mini just to try this stuff out!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Timmie 01-20-2010 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hebiki (Post 6883074)
for larger/wider track.. CONNECT them together side by side! :lol: :lol: :lol:

makes me want to get a mini just to try this stuff out!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL! Yeah I have mine in front of me right now trying to figure out where to tie some rope:lol: Dude...think about the cool sling shot passes that could be made!

What do you say Chris....new class for the nats? :nod:

gregthecarguy 01-20-2010 07:05 PM

Posts like this Really bum me out that we dont have any classes like this here in Portland, Or. Just the "Serious" stuff :( At a previous indoor track (thats closed now) we had a "Prerunner" class with Tamiya trucks and we talked about having figure eight races, and my favorite, a Trailer race, all cars had to pull a trailer and if the trailer came off you had to stop. Man where do they race fun stuff like this I think Im gonna move there.

Xmod_Racer 01-20-2010 07:09 PM

have teams of two drivers. Take one mini and take another mini and duct tape it to the top of the other one, facing the same way. Then race them around like regular. When it flips, the other driver drives

Dondor 01-20-2010 07:34 PM

We had an X-ray challenge in 2008 at Jonesboro, AR in which Paul L. and D. Ellis took turns qualifying someone else's mini. They changed heats and still dominated every heat they drove in.

In the main, they both shared the controller. And by shared, Drew ran the gas, Paul ran the steering.

They still dominated all of us. Working tandem.

Paul LeDrew. I'm sure Q has a pic of it somewhere.

redbones 01-20-2010 07:36 PM

two steering servos with two receivers, one car. One radio can only steer left wheel, the other steer right side. Maybe even third receiver for throttle radio. :lol:

gashuffer 01-20-2010 07:47 PM

You can set up dots or small cones on maybe half the track and run slalom.

geeunit1014 01-20-2010 07:47 PM

Tag.

At some random point (or at the start of the race) someone is "it". Whoever is "it" must hit someone else to pass "it" on. Whoever is "it" at the end of the race will have to start at the end of the pack for the main, or docked a lap, or whatever penalty is deemed appropriate or hilarious :lol:

Torrance-96 01-20-2010 08:28 PM

this one is lifted from Mario Kart...

attach 3 balloons to the car, maybe one on each side and one on the rear. the object would be to pop the other's balloons. when all 3 of your balloons are popped you're out. last car with a balloon wins.

the targets don't need to be balloons, maybe some dish washing sponges that can be velcro'd to the body as long as they can be knocked off on impact.

Greg Sharpe 01-20-2010 08:47 PM

I like the shared driving duties concept, two people driving the same Mini, same radio or two separate radios on opposite sides of the track! :eek:

I remember sharing a radio running Bud's cars indoors at American Raceway in NJ about a decade ago, single funniest disaster EVER. :lol:

mytwocents 01-20-2010 08:52 PM

teams roller derby could be fun if not to destructive . . .

or maybe mount the bodies backwards and everyone drive in reverse . . . effectively looking like you are going forward, only everyone will be rear steering

rccartips 01-20-2010 08:56 PM

10 cars, make them look exactly the same (e.g. black). then have fun figuring out which car you "think" you are driving.

it once happened to me in a real race. pileup first corner, i thought i got out of it. After 5 minutes of "driving" I later realized it was not my car I was focusing on the track. someone later found my car... stuck under a car in a parking lot (must have gone there after the pileup).

hairy 01-20-2010 09:06 PM

Black out all the widows...that way the driver can't see out!:D

sorry, been along dry spell:weird:

Phat-Boy 01-20-2010 09:19 PM

build one like this and race http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZf2jjpfdOQ

WheelNut 01-20-2010 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Xmod_Racer (Post 6883496)
have teams of two drivers. Take one mini and take another mini and duct tape it to the top of the other one, facing the same way. Then race them around like regular. When it flips, the other driver drives

LOL!!! This one is my favourite!

The track direction reversing idea is really funny too and so is the two cars connected with rope idea. :lol:

BlackMini 01-20-2010 09:48 PM

Coat the track with soapy water so it's slicker than snot on a doorknob.

CarbonJoe 01-21-2010 10:57 AM

The fastest guy drives the lowest qualifier's car, and vice - versa, for the entire grid (#1 qualifier drives #8 qualifier's car, #8 drives #1 qualifier's car, #2 drives #7, #7 drives #2, etc). This is really useful to show everyone that it usually isn't a horsepower issue as to why they're getting beat, it is a driving issue.

Everyone has to flip their radio around and drive with the opposite hand.

Everyone stands with their back to the track and has to drive while looking at the track with a mirror.

No dedicated turn marshals. Must self marshal.

Have to stand anywhere *except* the drivers stand and run the entire race from there.

Have to drive with your dominant eye covered with a patch, Pirate style.

Main is run in opposite direction from the qualifiers.

No traction compound allowed.

~McSmooth~ 01-21-2010 10:58 AM

sidecarphil1 01-21-2010 11:07 AM

6 hours race :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...0120101187.jpg

Bob-Stormer 01-21-2010 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by ~McSmooth~ (Post 6886506)
No pants.

We're doing that now... where have you been?

Bob-Stormer 01-21-2010 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe (Post 6886494)
The fastest guy drives the lowest qualifier's car, and vice - versa, for the entire grid (#1 qualifier drives #8 qualifier's car, #8 drives #1 qualifier's car, #2 drives #7, #7 drives #2, etc). This is really useful to show everyone that it usually isn't a horsepower issue as to why they're getting beat, it is a driving issue.

Everyone has to flip their radio around and drive with the opposite hand.

Everyone stands with their back to the track and has to drive while looking at the track with a mirror.

No dedicated turn marshals. Must self marshal.

Have to stand anywhere *except* the drivers stand and run the entire race from there.

Main is run in opposite direction from the qualifiers.

No traction compound allowed.

Good outta the box thinking
... You're our kinda guy! :)

You sparked a few extra ideas here. What about mandatory driver change when it's announced to "change direction". But you have no idea when it's coming. You're other driver could be in the bathroom... and you'd have to wait. :)

30-40' section just covered in those little yellow corner dots.

I LOVE the enduro Mini format. That's one of those deals where with a bit of good luck, the slower guys could conceivably win.

What about drift tires on the back? Skid racing.

Keep 'em coming.

Johnny Wishbone 01-21-2010 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe (Post 6886494)

You have to stand on one leg and every time you cross the finish line you have to yell out "land ho".

k_bojar 01-21-2010 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1 (Post 6886527)
6 hours race :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...0120101187.jpg

there you go...1 car, 1 motor , 6 hours of racing :) 3-man teams, 1 driver, 1 'pits', 1 marshalls - and you gotta rotate as you swap drivers

geeunit1014 01-21-2010 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer (Post 6886903)
[B]

What about drift tires on the back? Skid racing.

Drift tires on the front. snowplow racing

Bob-Stormer 01-21-2010 03:04 PM

This thread is only 12 hours old, yet has nearly 600 views and 30-40 posts in it.

It kind of re-inforces the whole thing. Even talking about making it fun, is fun. And that's what it takes to be successful. Keep it fun.

Except for McSmooth, who now (via ROAR decree), has to race without pants.

Rockpyle 01-21-2010 03:10 PM

How about every one has to set down their radio and run off the drivers stand and marshall themselves?

Also you have to hold your radio upside down and use your pinky for the throttle if you use a stick style you have to hold it facing away from you.

Greg Sharpe 01-21-2010 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by geeunit1014 (Post 6887485)
Drift tires on the front. snowplow racing

How about drift tires at all four corners? Less like racing, more like wandering. But competitive wandering none the less!:lol:

SpraydbySprague 01-21-2010 03:25 PM

Clear all the boards off the track. Set up two small goal nets at either end. Get a ball.....MINI COOPER SOCCER!!!!!

Or for those who are a little more "destructive", Figure 8 layout! LOL!

InspGadgt 01-21-2010 03:45 PM

I think rather than racing them it would be fun to play soccer or hockey with them like they did twice in the TV show Top Gear with several small full sized cars.

InspGadgt 01-21-2010 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by SpraydbySprague (Post 6887585)
Clear all the boards off the track. Set up two small goal nets at either end. Get a ball.....MINI COOPER SOCCER!!!!!

Or for those who are a little more "destructive", Figure 8 layout! LOL!

LOL I hadn't even got to this post yet when I posted mine