R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-30-2004, 03:39 AM   #46
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by RickyIS300
I race oval and charge 4 cell packs all the time. If you have the Eagle power supply, you can lower the charger's input voltage to 10.2V to 10.4V and charge 4 cell pack at high current (6A+). The 4.5A or 5A current limit only appears if the input voltage is higher. The unit can charge up to 16V or 17V even with a 10V input, it seems to have a step-up circuit built-in.
Have anyone triede this with single cells? With 11,6 volt in, I can charge single cells at around 3,6 amps.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:44 AM   #47

The problem I have so far with this charger is cycling the battery. The battery don't have any pouch after using fuzzy logic function.
Aku-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 04:27 PM   #48
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004
Default Found some better instructions

Like my name says, I am a newb at RC.
I got so much positive feedback about this charger, I just had to get it. I was looking for information on the 16x5v6 charger and I found some a set of instructions about the charger at this url:

www.streamload.com/tphalen/Chargers/16X5v6.pdf

But its an 8mb PDF so it may take a bit of time to download. Its much clearer than the one at integy. Just thought I'd try to help anyone who wanted a head start...

Its also on my website:
www.patrickchiu.com/16x5v6.pdf

and just incase, its also attached to this posting...

This 2 week shipping wait is agonizing...
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 10:28 PM   #49
Tech Master

Default Sorry, my bad

Ok, so the instructions are not that much better. Sorry, if you spent all that time reading the posting before.

I have a question, what is "re-peaking"? How does it work? and what is wrong with the re-peaking thingy on the Eagle CDC v6 ??

Sorry.... just a newb trying to find his way into the world of RC....
Old 03-30-2004, 11:35 PM   #50
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

rcnewb2004 - I'm sorry your sorry that your sorry. Re-peaking is basically charging your battery again just before your heat to make sure it's topped out. Your packs voltage is best when it is straight off the charger so if your pack has been sitting for 10 minutes you'll get more off the line punch by re-peaking just before your heat. The punch won't last for more then a few seconds though.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 12:33 AM   #51
Tech Master

Thanks fatdoggy,

How does repeaking differ from the boost function that this charger offers?

And I keep reading about leaving 0.9V/cell on your batteries after you discharge them, but the CDC charger set the cutoff at 0.8V/cell. Is there any special reason for that? And is it necessary to adjust/adjustable on the Eagle 16x5v6?

Old 03-31-2004, 01:24 AM   #52
Tech Elite

Not sure on the boost function. The .8v per cells is standard on all integy/eagle chargers, it doesn't make a difference whether you discharge to .9v or .8v per cell. The second it finishes discharging the voltage jumps back up anway. Not sure what you ment about adjustments but you'll have to change the nicd/nimh, amps(charge and discharge), pack mah, cells, mv/per cell cutoff settings depending on what type of battery you are charging.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:44 AM   #53
Tech Elite

The 0,8 volt / cell cut off aint adjustable on this charger.

Personally, I find the auto re-peak useless. I mean, if you can predict the right time to re-peak, why not just charge the pack, so it finishes at this point?

I would prefer to have a timer function to control charge start time instead. However, you can use the Fuzzy Logic mode to achieve this.

Boosting: The purpose is that if you have a fully charged pack, which has cooled down, and thus aint performing the best, you can use Boosting. The idea is that the charger partially discharge the pack, followed by a normal peak charge. This feature is pre-programmed and cant be adjusted. I havent tried it yet, but I will soon. Because then I can charge my practise pack before leaving home and then give it a boost at the track.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:24 AM   #54
Tech Master

Thanks for clearing things up Cole and FatDoggy,

I understand the boost thing now. But I still have a few more questions...

So what's the charger doing when it says its "auto-repeaking"?
And it has a timer for you to set it when it repeaks? This peaking thing has me still somewhat baffled.

And what do you mean by:

"I would prefer to have a timer function to control charge start time instead"

and how would u achieve this using the fuzzy logic function Cole?

Thanks for spending the time to help the newbs
Old 03-31-2004, 02:32 AM   #55
Tech Elite

Timed charge start: The batts perform best, immediately after a full charge. So if you know when the next race starts, and how long time it will take to charge a pack, then you can figure out when to start the charger. But instead of start it manually, some chargers have a tea-timer thing, so you can program the charger to automatically start so it'll finish at the right time.

On the CDC you can program a delay between discharge and charger. And the Fuzzy Logic mode discgarge the pack followed up by a peak charge. So by programming a proper delay, you can achieve almost the same...

I havent tried the auto-repeak thing, but it's a feature where you can program that the charger automatically should re-peak, let's say 10 minutes, after the normal peak. Pretty useless, at my opinion. I prefer to manual re-peak just before the race.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:41 AM   #56
Tech Master

Thanks for the quick reply.

So the auto repeak is just basically charge the battery again automatically after 10 minutes or something?

How do you will manually repeak?
By initiating the normal peak charge again or by hitting charging using the boost function?
Old 03-31-2004, 04:12 AM   #57
Tech Elite

"So the auto repeak is just basically charge the battery again automatically after 10 minutes or something?"

Correct.

"How do you will manually repeak?
By initiating the normal peak charge again or by hitting charging using the boost function?"

Just do a normal peak charge again. At least at my local track things never run on time, so you might set the re-peak and have it done 10 minutes before the heat(not ideal).
Old 03-31-2004, 04:21 AM   #58
Tech Elite

In the user program mode, you can setup how minutes after the normal peak charge, the auto re-peak should start. But as Fatdoggy says, it requires that schedules runs as planned. And in that case, it would be better to start the charge at the right moment...
Old 03-31-2004, 01:14 PM   #59
Tech Master

A few more questions,

After the battery is full, usually how long does it take to repeak?

Will repeaking damage the batteries since the battery is already full?
Old 03-31-2004, 05:18 PM   #60
Tech Elite

It depends on how long it's been sitting, but it should take less then 5 minutes. If you re-peak at a lower mv/cell cutoff you won't damage your cells. If you charged your pack at 5mv/cell cutoff re-peak at 3mv/cell cutoff.