R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-22-2004, 06:56 AM   #16
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

As far as I know it doesn't start back up after a power failure, my 16x9v5 doesn't. Integy/Eagle chargers are great, if they had a motor feature they'd be sick. Hopefully they'll wake up come out with a 16x9v7 with a motor feature in the next few years...
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 09:01 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

hey cole,

i do have the charger. i haven't used it to charge much because the vesc charge is kind of odd. i thought it was broken when i got it (used) because it would quit charging for like 5 seconds on every minute. it caused my packs to get really hot even with small delta setting. i have since learned otherwise, and that this is the result of the vesc stuff.

i actually charged with it this weekend, and it was ok. the crappy part is that the discharge is the same way, and causes the graph of the discharge to have discontinuities every minute. it seams to cause the numbers to be a little higher than actual since the pack voltage increases a bit at each break.

all in all, it might be an ok charger, but it's weird idiosyncrasies have me favoring the old mil pro on race days.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:17 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Well I think I saw something about this in another thread. Can you please enligthning me on what you learned and/or maybe supply a link?

Thanks.

By the way, I believe you have sold the lap counter by now? It's already a long time ago...
Old 03-22-2004, 12:33 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

yeah cole,

i waited as long as i could for ya. it's been gone for some time now.

i'm not sure that i've learned much regarding this charger. just that i thought i had received a broken charger, when it was just the bizarre charge characteristics that i was observing.

it works fine, but if the battery was just about to peak when it takes it's 4 second break, it will take almost another full one minute cycle to do so again. i dunno, it just seems like even small deltas work a pack like crazy. kind of like re-peaking. ever notice how high the voltage goes on a re-peak? and they never run better than straight off the charger. so why would a charger that does this, momentary pause, produce better results with our packs than just an uninterrupted linear charge?

contrary to some of my posts, i am not being very scientific here, but still using some form of logical thought.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:13 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by seaball
just that i thought i had received a broken charger, when it was just the bizarre charge characteristics that i was observing.
Exactly what I thought when I had got it! - I wish they would point out that it is normal in the instructions...
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 07:52 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

I got both the Pulsar Competition and the Eagle CDC 6.0B

I love both of them and wonder when are either gonna make a charger that has the best features of both, that'll be the last word in chargers!

Here are some of the pros/cons of either charger

Pulsar Competition

pros
- motor run-in (power lathes, irons, motors, use your imagination!)
- adjustable charge current on the fly
- auto-restart after power source failure

cons
- mv setting goes in 5mv steps (unflexible)
- only ONE saved profile setting
- unvariable 10 amp discharge (already too low for a healthy discharge, plus u can't discharge smaller sized packs)
- lack of programmable cycling function

Integy/Eagle CDC 6.0b

pros
- 10 programmable stored battery profiles for the forgetful racer
- programmable battery cycling (for those overnight unsupervised cycling)
- multiple selectable ring tones (ok this is just pimpin)
- 0.1 to 20 amp discharge adjustable (can discharge your mini-z batts too!)
- variable per cell mv setting in 1 mv (3-15mv per cell) steps per cell!

cons
- lack of anything that the Pulsar has as a pros

Because both chargers complement each other so well, I use my Pulsar for charging and CDC for discharging (trayed in a Rayspeed discharge tray after that). The Pulsar will also be used for powering various stuff on race day.

There is only one other function supported by these great chargers I would like to have, the phase charging function of the Straight Record Breaker!
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 08:22 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Johnnytc3

im with you Entropy, i love both my pulsar comp and cdc v6, always thought of ditching one and getting doubles but theres no need with all the features they both have.
Johnnytc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 11:35 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Entropy
There is only one other function supported by these great chargers I would like to have, the phase charging function of the Straight Record Breaker!
Just for the record, Robitronic (www.robitronic.com) also got a phase charger.

I was very close to get the Robitronic, but I counted it out, primarily because I aint got the time, the money (for extra batts), nor the equipment (discharger with measurements) to do some serious experiment and find the best programming of the phases.

Besides, compared to the CDC, it lacks the discharging.

I also considered the Pulsar, but it only got 10 amps discharge. The LRP Sport in combination with a Reactor might be the choise, but again, the CDC offered more.

So I decided to go with the CDC.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:36 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by sosidge
Exactly what I thought when I had got it! - I wish they would point out that it is normal in the instructions...
I certainly agree on this
Old 03-22-2004, 11:45 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by seaball
it works fine, but if the battery was just about to peak when it takes it's 4 second break, it will take almost another full one minute cycle to do so again.
Yep, I've noticed how high the voltage goes during re-peak. I'm quite sure I wont be using the auto re-peak...

Anyway. I'm quite sure the reason for the CDC to charge this way, is it needs some delta values on amps and voltage, to measure the IR.

Have you used a voltmeter during charge? I havent myself, since I aint got the charger yet. But I believe the voltage will drop while pausing, but the capasity wont. So I'm quite sure the CDC will shut off at the right time (at least very, very close), without harming the batts. Remember the Apex Sigma and it's eqivalent Indi 16x2 (not sure of the excat name)? People didnt want to use it, because it was a pulse charger... So I'm quite sure Integy did their homework right, cause I dont think they want to repeat the story.

Well, honestly, this is just speculation. You might be the one who's right.

Last edited by Cole Trickle; 03-23-2004 at 06:38 AM.
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 06:16 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to etzkev

I am probably going to get the Integy 16X5V6 soon. In addition to your "Pro's and Con's" of both of the chargers, I have another pro for the Integy. It is simply cheaper!

I do have a few questions though. Is the 16X5V6 actually the same charger as the Eagle CDC Version 6.0? Do they both have 4 different charge modes (user selectable)?

Thanks,
etzkev
etzkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 06:33 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Does anyone have a problem with trying to charge 4 cell packs? I cannot get mine to charge over 5 amps for 4 cell.

Thanks,
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 06:37 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by etzkev
I am probably going to get the Integy 16X5V6 soon. In addition to your "Pro's and Con's" of both of the chargers, I have another pro for the Integy. It is simply cheaper!

I do have a few questions though. Is the 16X5V6 actually the same charger as the Eagle CDC Version 6.0? Do they both have 4 different charge modes (user selectable)?

Thanks,
etzkev
I've ordered a CDC too, should be here in a few days.

The 16X5V6 and the Eagle CDC Version 6.0 is the excat same charger. Just re-badged !

About prices, where I live the CDC and the Pulsar is less than 5% from each other.

From my point of view, a cons of the CDC is the lack of timed charging. I've e-mailed Integy, they claim that in Fuzzy Logic mode, it's possible to do a timed charge. I'll have to see...

I find that the measuring of IR and average voltage, is valuable, since it can be used for controlling that battery care is done properly. And maybe for some test results on different settings...
Old 03-25-2004, 06:40 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by CRASH
Does anyone have a problem with trying to charge 4 cell packs? I cannot get mine to charge over 5 amps for 4 cell.

Thanks,
I aint got the charger yet, so I havent tried it. But it wouldnt surprise me, if there's a limit here - many chargers have to use lower amps, while charging 4 or less cells. Otherwise they heat up. And the manual aint too good.... But if there's a limit here, it's good that the charger protect itself !
Old 03-25-2004, 06:42 AM   #30
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to etzkev

Do you know if it actually does have 4 different charge modes which are user selectable?

Thats wierd, because I can find the Integy charger for $150 here, and I haven't found the Pulsar for under $180.

Thanks,
etzkev
etzkev is offline   Reply With Quote