R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-31-2004, 02:08 PM   #271
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by SalvadoriRacing
I run 19T and mods.....

I think the 16x7v6 will be better for my purpose....

I was thinking about the 16x5 because it offers the TORPEDO BOOSTING SYSTEM built-in, but if this unit just repeaks your battery I can't see any advantage, the 16x5 can charge up to 7 amps against 6.5 amps charge rate on the 16x7.....the 16x7 can be powered by 110volts too....

what's the cutoff of these units when discharging??????
The boosting thing is a small discharge, followed up by a peak charge. It's only meant for fully charged packs, which have cooled totally down.

Last edited by Cole Trickle; 06-02-2004 at 03:34 AM.
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 02:49 PM   #272
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by SalvadoriRacing
this is I'm a little bit afraid of purchase an INDI charger.....I have a LRP Pulsar Competition and I need a better discharging unit, so now I'm thinking about buying the INDI Reactor 30, just to discharge my packs and keep charging my packs with the lrp pulsar.....
One more thing about discharging rate: If you plan to do a complete cycle once in a while, then the batts will get extremely hot, if a completely charged pack, is discharged all the way at 30 amps.

So in this case, you might consider to stay with 20 amps.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:38 AM   #273
Tech Elite

Default Re: high temps

Quote:
Originally posted by miniracer
has anyone compared the charging of the 16x5/16x9 cdc to any other chargers? I have a 16x9v6 and a pitbull and have noticed that for the same delta peak settings the packs temp is higher on the cdc than the pitbull. i judged this with the finger test so not really accurate as i dont have a temp gun. kinda worried of the effect in terms of longevity on the packs with the higher temps reached. all charging settings and conditions are the same on both chargers. I don't notice any difference in track performance either.

i have tried lowering the peak settings but this resulted in less charge put into the packs. is the charging program of the pitbull better? btw the packs are gp3300, both unmatched and matched packs.
Packs charged on my CDC is warmer than they were on my Apex Sigma Plus - but that was the hole point, since NiMh packs was too cold on the Sigma, to perform good

But how hot/warm are your packs after charged on the CDC? If the temperature is right, they might be too cold on the Pitbull?

I aint got temperature problems with my CDC, what's your ambient temperature? And what's your charge rate?
Old 06-02-2004, 03:43 AM   #274
tornado

Default Re: Re: high temps

Quote:
Originally posted by Cole Trickle
Packs charged on my CDC is warmer than they were on my Apex Sigma Plus - but that was the hole point, since NiMh packs was too cold on the Sigma, to perform good

But how hot/warm are your packs after charged on the CDC? If the temperature is right, they might be too cold on the Pitbull?

I aint got temperature problems with my CDC, what's your ambient temperature? And what's your charge rate?
I find the CDC charge the cells a bit hot..... so to be comfortable I use the Millenium Pro to fill up th tank and the CDC to boost at the track just before running. It works great.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:57 AM   #275
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: high temps

Quote:
Originally posted by tornado
I find the CDC charge the cells a bit hot..... so to be comfortable I use the Millenium Pro to fill up th tank and the CDC to boost at the track just before running. It works great.
Curious, whats the temp difference between the Millenium and the CDC (same ambient), measured in degrees?
Old 06-02-2004, 08:40 AM   #276
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: high temps

Quote:

I am in Manila so ambient here is tropical hot. I tried charging the packs at 5, 5.5 and 6amps with delta peak settings at .04mv and .03mv per cell. In all the test the packs on the CDC were hotter than the pitbull. I only measured this using my finger as I don't have access to a temp gun yet.

The packs after charging on the pitbull were warm to hot to the touch, was already worried if I was damaging them with the heat but when I used the CDC they were surprisingly hotter.

I also noticed that the strip of glue gun glue I used to secure each cell to each other was melted with the CDC charge but just soft with the pitbull at 6amps and .04mv/cell.

I am very satisfied with this charger as it is great value for the money. My concerns are probably my not being used to the charger as we all know different manufacturers have different methods of coming out with the numbers stated on their screens. I still feel that charging using the temp as a backup to the delta peak reading is the safest way to charge our expensive packs.

I charge my packs now at 5amps and .04-.05mv/cell and the temps are slightly lower, as I am still a novice driver I don't yet need the extra volts a high amp charge rate will give me. When I get access to a temp gun I will post my readings here.
miniracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 02:53 PM   #277
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

You can always check the melting point of the type of glue u are using from your glue gun.

From what I use, my glue sticks melt at 40 degrees. And after a run, more often than not, the glue is melted.

I changed to using "shoe-goo" which I don't know if is readily avaliable to you. However, it works similar to glue gun (its used to fix shoes) and it has a melting point of 60 degrees. This helps my pack stay together and makes sure that my cells are not reaching dangerous temperatures after a run.
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 01:30 AM   #278
Tech Elite

Miniracer: I see. In your case, I would also use the Pitbull just to be sure. At least until I got a temp gun.

My ambient temperature is around 20 degree celsius, 25 as a absolute maximum. In the winter season, we're down around 15.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:19 PM   #279
tornado

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: high temps

Quote:
Curious, whats the temp difference between the Millenium and the CDC (same ambient), measured in degrees?
I don't have a temp gun ..but when I fill up from empty the cells on the CDC it is really hot...charged at 5.0A and delta peak at 3mV per cell but on the novak, it just warm and hell....when you hit the track its 'bout the same.

I usually charge my cells the nite before I play the next day so...I would repeak it with the boosting feature to reactivate the cells with the CDC. The cells don't get that hot this way. I don't know why but it works for me.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:49 AM   #280
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to melvin
Default charging with 16 X 5

On my fairly new GP3300, my charger can only input 3200 mah and it will peaked. Prior to the charge the pack was discharged to 0.9 per cell at 20 amps. Peak detect 4mv set.

When i discharges them, the discharge output is always only 3100 mah (less than ratings)

Is the 16 X 5 showing low numbers on the GP3300? Wat are your experience?
melvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 06:22 PM   #281
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

I have the same problem, I get less than you even, only 2800mah

Also, my back lit light has burnt out, but i bought it online, anyone have any ideas if i can return it... its almost been 90 days since my purchase.
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 07:52 PM   #282
tornado

The discharge ratings are always lower than the nominal rating of 3300. We usually refer to the discharge time, ave. voltage & internal resistance readings to grade our cells.

Initially I tot my backlight has also burnt but I found out, it was my power supply wasn't supplying enough amps...cos' when I modified my power supply to bump up the amps...the back light is back on again. Perhaps you could try making an enquiry at Integy to find out your next course of action.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:48 AM   #283
Tech Elite

It's the nature of the GP cells. If you don't use the capacity, you lose it, so to speak.

If you equalise them on a tray, the capacity will come right back.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 09:16 PM   #284
tornado

Quote:
Originally posted by sosidge
It's the nature of the GP cells. If you don't use the capacity, you lose it, so to speak.

If you equalise them on a tray, the capacity will come right back.
You mean to say to put the pack on the tray immediately after running or is it once every week on once a month ?
Old 06-22-2004, 01:45 AM   #285
Tech Elite

Up to you really.

I would do a full 20A discharge before putting the pack on a tray - a half-full 3300 pack takes a LONG time to discharge on a tray.

I have been doing it once a week.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote