R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-18-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Tamiya CVA shocks...Help needed!

Hey Guys,
I am having some problems with the Tamiya cva shocks (#53619). I have added the plastic spacers to the inside to limit shock length for the TT-01. The problem is that after they sit for a few minutes the become stuck in position and it takes a little force to break them free. I took them apart and added an O ring to see if this would solve my problem but it did not. I assume that the oil is creating a seal and not allowing the shocks to move but I don't know how to correct this. I have built 2 TT-01's for my kids and I am having this problem with both cars. Has anyone ever had this problem?? Any suggestions???
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Hey Guys,
I am having some problems with the Tamiya cva shocks (#53619). I have added the plastic spacers to the inside to limit shock length for the TT-01. The problem is that after they sit for a few minutes the become stuck in position and it takes a little force to break them free. I took them apart and added an O ring to see if this would solve my problem but it did not. I assume that the oil is creating a seal and not allowing the shocks to move but I don't know how to correct this. I have built 2 TT-01's for my kids and I am having this problem with both cars. Has anyone ever had this problem?? Any suggestions???
not sure how it is exactly but if i were you i'd try to remove the spacer and see if anything binds, don't fill it with shock oil first, just check if it binds.
dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

That stick is caused by the red o-rings used to seal the dampers. Same thing happens on my old Hi-Cap dampers from way back in the day. Not a big deal once the car is moving and the suspension becomes un-stuck and the o-rings are very smooth. If your really worried, replace the red o-rings with the Tamiya clear ones.

Or try adding some Associated "Green-Slime" to the o-rings before installing them...
94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for the input guys. I will try taking them apart again tonight and see if I can get them working a little better. I have built plenty of Tamiya kits and I have never had this problem before.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote