R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #46
Tech Adept

Well I got the car on the track this weekend and ran some practice laps and ESC/Motor worked just fine. Setting the throttle and brake was the usual easy affair for a Novak. From the supplied literature I was expecting to have to disable reverse but after setting it up the controller had no reverse. Don't know if I misread the instructions or what but since the track I run at does not allow reverse so this was a good thing. This was my first time out with this setup I left everything at the factory defaults. Everything ran as advertised no problems. Ran out one pack before I pulled it off to practice with my 1/12th.

The test car is a 235mm wide 1/10 pan car with the 13.5BL and the ESC, see photo for layout. All the other 1/10 pan cars (200mm World GT) I believe had 10.5 BL, were running boost/turbo and were driven by much better drivers than me so I can't give any meaningful speed comparisons.

I can say I am going to install it on my 1/12th. I am going to cut away the prongs for the fan and then solder the wires for the receiver wire directly to the corresponding prongs on the ESC eliminating the micro plug. If I have time I'll try to find smaller capaciters, these puppies are big.

Hope to be out on the track again on 3/6 with the 1/12th.
Attached Thumbnails
Novak Havoc 1s ESC 13.5 combo-100_1201.jpg  

RC10L (Pro 10, WGT), TC4, BMI DB12RR, Scalpel
Lee_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #47
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What kind of gearing do you guys have to do when you have the 1S lipo battery and a BL motor on a 1/10 pan car? I am planning a 1S lipo battery with a 17.5BL and I am not sure what kind of gearing I should be going for. Any help on this?
Old 02-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #48
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt-racer View Post
What kind of gearing do you guys have to do when you have the 1S lipo battery and a BL motor on a 1/10 pan car? I am planning a 1S lipo battery with a 17.5BL and I am not sure what kind of gearing I should be going for. Any help on this?
I ran a 96 spur, 31 pinion and a tire diameter 58mm which if I did the math right is a roll out of 59. Which I felt was a little lacking in torque. So next time I'll go down a couple of teeth on the pinion.

Gearing is dependent on track layout to some extent. On a tight twisty track more low end torque is preffered, while on a wide open track with sweeping turns you can run a higher roll out. The guys at Horsham used to run a roll out in the mid 60's for 1/10th and most seem to have dropped to the upper to mid 50s after the track got a new layout with much tighter turns.

rollout = (pinion/spur)*3.14*tire diameter

RC10L (Pro 10, WGT), TC4, BMI DB12RR, Scalpel
Lee_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:32 AM   #49
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_123 View Post
I ran a 96 spur, 31 pinion and a tire diameter 58mm which if I did the math right is a roll out of 59. Which I felt was a little lacking in torque. So next time I'll go down a couple of teeth on the pinion.

Gearing is dependent on track layout to some extent. On a tight twisty track more low end torque is preffered, while on a wide open track with sweeping turns you can run a higher roll out. The guys at Horsham used to run a roll out in the mid 60's for 1/10th and most seem to have dropped to the upper to mid 50s after the track got a new layout with much tighter turns.

rollout = (pinion/spur)*3.14*tire diameter
I've just picked up one of these combos to install in the WGT. Looks like it has enough wire for most applications...

I was thinking of starting with a rollout of about 65mm.

The sensor wire sure is stiff. I prefer more flex- better for pans cars generally.
Attached Thumbnails
Novak Havoc 1s ESC 13.5 combo-havoc-1s-boxed.jpg   Novak Havoc 1s ESC 13.5 combo-havoc-1s-boxed2.jpg  
gramm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #50
Tech Adept

Had my havoc setup going last weekend and found it to be quite capable. My initial rollout was 62mm which seemed fine (which was fitting because the track had been shortened since I was last there). I thought 1s 13.5 would be too slow without boost (backup plan being putting the system in my 12th scale or Legends) but it really surprised me.

For some strange reason the ESC comes with throttle expo turned on by default I thought this system was designed to go in pan cars...

Otherwise, quite happy with the product.
Attached Thumbnails
Novak Havoc 1s ESC 13.5 combo-havoc.jpg  
Old 10-20-2011, 06:05 AM   #51
Tech Initiate

Hello,

I want to run this ESC in combo with HPI Firebolt 15T motor and 1S LiPo. In specs list I see that this ESC can run 540 sized motors only down to 27T while 550 sized motors down to 12T. How can it be? I believe, that Firebolt 15T brushed motor is less powerfull than normal 27T Spec brushed one. I am wondering, if I have trouble running this esc in combo with HPI Firebolt 15T?

Thank you.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:54 AM   #52
Tech Initiate

Anybody?
Old 10-25-2011, 07:21 AM   #53
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar_P View Post
Hello,

I want to run this ESC in combo with HPI Firebolt 15T motor and 1S LiPo. In specs list I see that this ESC can run 540 sized motors only down to 27T while 550 sized motors down to 12T. How can it be? I believe, that Firebolt 15T brushed motor is less powerfull than normal 27T Spec brushed one. I am wondering, if I have trouble running this esc in combo with HPI Firebolt 15T?

Thank you.
In theory, a 15T 540 has the same wire length as a 12T 550 so it should be fine. The reason the 27T is more powerful is because it has 24 degrees of timing and would produce a greater amp draw through the speed controller.

You should be fine with this motor on this speedo but technically, it's outside of the motor limit.

What car is it going it?