R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-11-2010, 08:56 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
anyone got some performance info of the system?

I wouldn't mind trying 1/12 in a cheap form, or even that whole WGT thing.

Who knows, maybe a timingless ESC thing for stock 1/12 could be the way to go as others have mentioned and is being done in USVTA?
It might be a good idea for beginners, but certainly too slow for an experienced 1/12 scale driver.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #32
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

what motor combo did you think I was suggesting that would be too slow for 1/12??
Old 02-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #33
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeoeo327 View Post
It might be a good idea for beginners, but certainly too slow for an experienced 1/12 scale driver.
The Havoc 1S sensored BL spec system (w/ built in SmartBoost cicuitry) is offered as a beginner's system with a street price of 159.99.

We will offer Kinetic 1S/Ballistic systems for racing.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #34
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
The Havoc 1S sensored BL spec system (w/ built in SmartBoost cicuitry) is offered as a beginner's system with a street price of 159.99.

We will offer Kinetic 1S/Ballistic systems for racing.
Again, perhaps I'm out of touch with what is going on in the rest of the World, but to me "1/12th scale" and "beginner" do not belong in the same sentence, which makes this seem like a bit of a misguided product. Is Novak doing well with this "beginner" 1s sytem?
biz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #35
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I can't speak for Novak. I am not new to rc but am new to 12 scale. I didn't feel like spending alot on electronics for the car. I felt the Havoc 1s would be perfect for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz77 View Post
Again, perhaps I'm out of touch with what is going on in the rest of the World, but to me "1/12th scale" and "beginner" do not belong in the same sentence, which makes this seem like a bit of a misguided product. Is Novak doing well with this "beginner" 1s sytem?
A large part of their history is made up of blood and battle. This is not something to shrink away from as a fancier of the breed. Their history should be embraced, understood, and once we have a full understanding, we can control the future.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #36
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz77 View Post
Too soon to tell; the 1S systems have only been available for @ 6 weeks. I did not intend for my comments to refer only to single cell 1/12th scale events.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #37
Tech Adept

Default Novak Havoc 1s heat sink

I got the new Havoc 1s low profile (LP) heat sink (part number #5401). The photos below are of a GTB, the original, and the LP heat sink. It's pretty nice, the original was 0.536 inches tall, the LP is 0.240 inches. This really lowered the profile of the ESC and it fit under my 1/12th body until I started to plug everything together.

The lead that runs from the ESC to the receiver has plugs on both ends and I left it unplugged when I arranged everything on the chassis. The "cleanest" wiring ended up with this plug on the outside of the chassis. This plug stands tall on the ESC and once I put it all together the body wouldn't clear it.

So I flipped the ESC around so the plug is towards the center of the chassis. The wiring works but it's really ugly, photo below. Not sure if I'm going to try run it on my 1/12th or move everything back to my 1/10th.
Attached Thumbnails
Novak Havoc 1s ESC 13.5 combo-100_1205.jpg   Novak Havoc 1s ESC 13.5 combo-100_1207.jpg   Novak Havoc 1s ESC 13.5 combo-100_1209.jpg   Novak Havoc 1s ESC 13.5 combo-100_1210.jpg  

RC10L (Pro 10, WGT), TC4, BMI DB12RR, Scalpel
Lee_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:15 AM   #38
Company Representative

More cool pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_123 View Post
I got the new Havoc 1s low profile (LP) heat sink (part number #5401). The photos below are the original, the LP and a GTB heat sink. It's pretty nice, the original was 0.536 inches tall, the LP is 0.240 inches. This really lowered the profile of the ESC and it fit under my 1/12th body until I started to plug everything together.

The lead that runs from the ESC to the receiver has plugs on both ends and I left it unplugged when I arranged everything on the chassis. The "cleanest" wiring ended up with this plug on the outside of the chassis. This plug stands tall on the ESC and once I put it all together the body wouldn't clear it.

So I flipped the ESC around so the plug is towards the center of the chassis. The wiring works but it's really ugly, photo below. Not sure if I'm going to try run it on my 1/12th or move everything back to my 1/10th.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:38 PM   #39
Tech Regular

Have you ran the car yet? Your thoughts on how it ran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_123 View Post
I got the new Havoc 1s low profile (LP) heat sink (part number #5401). The photos below are of a GTB, the original, and the LP heat sink. It's pretty nice, the original was 0.536 inches tall, the LP is 0.240 inches. This really lowered the profile of the ESC and it fit under my 1/12th body until I started to plug everything together.

A large part of their history is made up of blood and battle. This is not something to shrink away from as a fancier of the breed. Their history should be embraced, understood, and once we have a full understanding, we can control the future.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:28 AM   #40
Tech Legend

anyone try running the wires coming out of the ESC from below, instead of top in?
Old 02-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #41
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyK View Post
Have you ran the car yet? Your thoughts on how it ran.
Not yet, had an unplanned family event, a scout campout and two fair size snow storms here in the east to deal with.

This weekend if all goes well, I'll be on the track.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:41 PM   #42
Tech Adept

Quote:
anyone try running the wires coming out of the ESC from below, instead of top in?
It should be possible to insert the wires from the bottom especially if you use a smaller, more flexible gauge wire. Right now the motor leads and the battery wires aren't my problem. It's the height of the micro plug for the receiver wire. If you look at the middle two pictures in a previous post you'll see it sits quite high. High enough to raise the body so it doesn't sit on the body posts. I positioned the plug so it was in the middle of the chassis and the body sat nearly level but the wires all chris crossed each other and the setup button was blocked as were the LEDs.

I moved it back to my 1/10th pan car last night.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
what motor combo did you think I was suggesting that would be too slow for 1/12??

17.5 - you did mention stock 1/12...
Old 02-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #44
Tech Master

Thumbs up

Interesting, just subscribing!!! I've been using the 4cell GTB (4Cell nimh)for some time. The receiver and switch wires are soldered directly to the the board (no pins) but the wires are very fragile. Fortunately a friend of mine works in an electronics repair shop and has the proper soldering equipment to resolder the small wires. I'm hoping the Kinetic will finally be released so I can be ready for next winters season and I can run a Kinetic 1s with a 10.5 as (lipo 10.5) seems to be the future of our 1/12 class. We ran 4cell 1/10 pan cars last summer on our outdoor prepped asphalt. I ran a 10L2 4Cell with a GTB and 5.5 motor. GREAT FUN!!!!!!! I could just switch to Tekin but Novak has treated me very well for twenty years, I can wait a little while !!!

Last edited by THEBIGBULL; 02-15-2010 at 09:19 PM.
THEBIGBULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #45
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeoeo327 View Post
17.5 - you did mention stock 1/12...
yup your right.