R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-17-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default SHOULD THIS LOOK LIKE THIS??????

I looked inside my LRP vector X11 stock spec 17.5 motor to try and put the timing at zero and the rings inside look warped. I have only looked inside a few motors and haven't seen anything like this. I did get very hot once 230 degrees but I have used it since then and seemed to work fine. If it is bad, what 17.5 motor out there is the best for Touring Car. Nemesis? Thanks in advance

P1020137.JPG
P1020136.JPG
P1020135.JPG
storytyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Sorry. Pics didn't work. Working on it.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Lets try this again. I wanted to make them larger, but hopefully those of you who look at this can see it. Thanks again!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
SHOULD THIS LOOK LIKE THIS??????-p1020135.jpg   SHOULD THIS LOOK LIKE THIS??????-p1020136.jpg   SHOULD THIS LOOK LIKE THIS??????-p1020137.jpg  
Old 01-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
Tech Adept

A motor should NOT look like that, but it's hard to tell what it is. Can you try to tell us what it exactly is. Because that's not normal, I've been racing a lot of different X11 motors over the last few years, and I've never seen anything like it. So it's not a normal thing in a X11 motor. That shouldn't be the problem.

When you can tell us what it exactly is, maybe we can find out how it happened. I looks like rust or something.. Have you been racing in wet conditions?

And when you're looking for a new motor you can consider a few good options. The new LRP X12 Stock Spec series are very good. But other good motors are the Speed Passion Evolution 3.0 motors and the Tekin motors. Of course there are a lot more motors to choose from.

The best advice I can give you on that is: look what most other people on your club use. When you do that, you can get advise on which setup to use to get the most out of your speedo/motor combination.

Remember when they use a different speedo, and you don't want to buy a speedo it get's harder, since speedo settings are at least as important as the motor settings.
Rick Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Thomson View Post
A motor should NOT look like that, but it's hard to tell what it is. Can you try to tell us what it exactly is. Because that's not normal, I've been racing a lot of different X11 motors over the last few years, and I've never seen anything like it. So it's not a normal thing in a X11 motor. That shouldn't be the problem.

When you can tell us what it exactly is, maybe we can find out how it happened. I looks like rust or something.. Have you been racing in wet conditions?

And when you're looking for a new motor you can consider a few good options. The new LRP X12 Stock Spec series are very good. But other good motors are the Speed Passion Evolution 3.0 motors and the Tekin motors. Of course there are a lot more motors to choose from.

The best advice I can give you on that is: look what most other people on your club use. When you do that, you can get advise on which setup to use to get the most out of your speedo/motor combination.

Remember when they use a different speedo, and you don't want to buy a speedo it get's harder, since speedo settings are at least as important as the motor settings.
I bought this motor used and have only used it indoors on carpet. My first time using it, I didn't check temps and it got to 237 degrees. The rings just look bent and warped. It looks like maybe a little rust on the inside and just rubber debris from the track. On my other motor you could turn those rings to adjust the timing. These are not even centered in the can and are all bent up. I have been using it since my over heat issue and it runs hotter than other motors with same set-ups.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by storytyme View Post
I bought this motor used and have only used it indoors on carpet. My first time using it, I didn't check temps and it got to 237 degrees. The rings just look bent and warped. It looks like maybe a little rust on the inside and just rubber debris from the track. On my other motor you could turn those rings to adjust the timing. These are not even centered in the can and are all bent up. I have been using it since my over heat issue and it runs hotter than other motors with same set-ups.
237 degrees (that's fahrenheit I hope) is (too) hot for a motor. Always try to keep the temperature underneath 200/210. The bent rings and rust give me an indication that the motor was already malfunctioning before it overheated, and the the motor getting this hot is not the reason for the problems but a result.

Best thing you can do is to buy a new motor, since this one just isn't good anymore. If you ever want to use the rotor or some others parts of this motor, you should measure and check if everything is still straight en good. There is a good chance that the rotor for example is bent too, and using it in another motor might just cause damage to the new motor too.

So if it fits your budget throw it away and buy a new one. My advice with motors is to always buy a new motor, and when you buy one second hand, always get it apart and check if everything is still ok, and even than there still might be problems that are hard to check, like the magnetic power of a rotor.

When you want to buy a new motor, check for either a X11 (they are not that expensive anymore even new) or otherwise the new X12. Or check your local club to check what they are using (both speedo and motor), and try to do the same. That way you can help each other out.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

[QUOTE=storytyme;6865186]I looked inside my LRP vector X11 stock spec 17.5 motor to try and put the timing at zero and the rings inside look warped. I have only looked inside a few motors and haven't seen anything like this. I did get very hot once 230 degrees but I have used it since then and seemed to work fine. If it is bad, what 17.5 motor out there is the best for Touring Car. Nemesis? Thanks in advance

After hooking up this motor to a battery and simulating driving it it heated up to 145 degrees F in about 45 seconds. I feel that it is probably shot. Ideas?
Old 01-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=storytyme;6865898]
Quote:
I looked inside my LRP vector X11 stock spec 17.5 motor to try and put the timing at zero and the rings inside look warped. I have only looked inside a few motors and haven't seen anything like this. I did get very hot once 230 degrees but I have used it since then and seemed to work fine. If it is bad, what 17.5 motor out there is the best for Touring Car. Nemesis? Thanks in advance

After hooking up this motor to a battery and simulating driving it it heated up to 145 degrees F in about 45 seconds. I feel that it is probably shot. Ideas?
Getting the motor that warm in such a short period of time is not good at all. After a full heat of racing my motor is at a maximum of less than 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Even when pushing hard my motor wouldn't get to the 150 degrees F within the first 2 minutes.

Best thing really is to buy a new one.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

[QUOTE=Rick Thomson;6865921]
Quote:

Getting the motor that warm in such a short period of time is not good at all. After a full heat of racing my motor is at a maximum of less than 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Even when pushing hard my motor wouldn't get to the 150 degrees F within the first 2 minutes.

Best thing really is to buy a new one.
Thanks for the help. I will be purchasing a new motor.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Lets try this again. I wanted to make them larger, but hopefully those of you who look at this can see it. Thanks again!!!!
if the motor is still strong, run it. if you want to buy another and need an excuse, then buy it. (you will need a spare if you keep getting 220+ temps)

regarding the warped appearance to the rings: i suspect (i don't have your specific motor) a new one will have the same appearance.

consider that if it got so overheated to deform that metal ring then it should have melted the solder around it first. personally i have gotten solder connnection problems before melting or deforming the fundamental innards.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:32 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default wow

yikes thats hot too hot
jrxsMike03 is offline   Reply With Quote