Tom
Tech Regular

ixlr8nz,

sweet looking car
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 09:20 PM   #47
Tech Addict

Thanks man.

Edward did you do cad at University or did you learn it some how. Your drawings are awesome!

Last edited by ixlr8nz; 03-22-2004 at 11:07 PM.
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 06:09 AM   #48
Tech Initiate

Ok, here is my chassis that I just spent the last couple of months working on this chassis in my engineering class. this is the first thing that I designed without using a tutorial. I am only sixteen (just so you know) This is still pretty rough but here it is.
micro speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 06:12 AM   #49
Tech Initiate

ok here it is
Attached Files
File Type: pdf chassis.pdf (156.2 KB, 313 views)
Old 03-23-2004, 07:50 AM   #50
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I like your battery placement Micro Speed. Great minds must think alike. Keep at it.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 08:40 AM   #51
Tech Elite

Bob W: The 4X2 layout works very well. I managed to mock a 4X2 for the '03 Snowbirds and was impressed with the results. Little practice netted poor results though. The car was very well balanced, showed ALOT of potential, and required tuning unlike any other TC i had driven to date. I definitely needed ALOT of wheel time to be fast with it. That chassis is now on a friends ETC3 in Virginia, and i have "made" two more like that, with varying changes/improvements for others. I now run a standard ETC3 chassis with the battery moved towards the center, and was equally impressed with the changes. I never use an upper deck for stiffness, i try to use adhesives/epoxies to add strength and rigidity without adding excessive hardware/weight. Once added, it too can be milled like the existing chassis. (I mix my epoxy with equal parts of resin, hardener, and ground graphite from used/broken parts) The biggest drawback WAS the battery layout, ironically enough. Few cars use a layout as such, and taking batteries from one chassis to another proved to be bothersome... although there are ways around this little problem.

This year for the '04 Snowbirds, i opted for a chassis that was a little more conventional. This allowed me to pick the brain of a pro driver for a little setup info that dialed me in faster. Seems to me that this could be a problem when trying to produce a car that has few "team" drivers to support your customer base at racing events. Something that would be wise to include is a VERY detailed setup manual that explains EVERYTHING to your purchaser, that way he/she would feel more confident in tuning a car so few would have (at first) at a big event, or even the local track. Get that hurdle jumped, add great customer support/replacement parts distribution, and you have yourself a great design in the works! I wish you luck!

- DaveW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chassis 7.jpg (28.8 KB, 263 views)
Old 03-23-2004, 08:42 AM   #52
Tech Elite

Another of the first bare chassis...

- DaveW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chassis 2.jpg (32.1 KB, 269 views)
Old 03-23-2004, 08:50 AM   #53
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: Re: Now thats what Im talking about!

Quote:
Originally posted by mb racer
Hey johnny !!! theres no one on the team with the talent .. To beat me.. hhehe
Holly crap dude stop flattering yourself. Talent pppffffff right

'OL BUZZARD FARMING (lol)
howard hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 11:28 AM   #54
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default CAD Program.

ixlr8nz: I took CAD drawing classes at college, and the program is called Inventor 5.3. I supplied bob with the drawing program and he worked his engineering magic and came up with a wicked car design called ETC3 TNG V7.0.

Thanks
Edward Pickering
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 11:35 AM   #55
Tech Initiate

Dave W. Your chassis is very nice. The only problem that I see with it is that with the servo, 2 cells, and the motor on the right side, it seems like it would be heavier on the right side. If you look carefully at my chassis you can see the screw holes for the servo on the left side to help balance it. So, maybe you could try moving the servo to the left side and see if that handles any better.

if anyone is interested, the program that I used is inventor 6.0.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:13 PM   #56
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Now thats what Im talking about!

Quote:
Originally posted by howard hudson
Holly crap dude stop flattering yourself. Talent pppffffff right
hey howie got to have some fun wit ya bro !!!
Old 03-23-2004, 02:47 PM   #57
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to CA$H's son

hey micro speed ive seen ppl do this before this cad version was milled out if u put a fully loaded tc3 like that one on scales its alsmot 100% balenced on each tire
CA$H's son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 04:47 PM   #58
Tech Elite

MICROSPEED: If you look in the first pic, you can see the car was tweaked out with .50oz on the servo, and .75oz in the center area of the chassis next to the battery under the shaft. This was more for weight limit than tweak... the car needed to be 50oz for the Birds ('03), and the car was underweight. The car was VERY close on the tweakstation without weight added, but was actually LIGHT in the servo area. The plastic under the chassis was removed (lighter), and the servo was lowered into the chassis, making it smooth with the lower chassis surface (and increasing/equalizing servo response). Swapping the servo to the other side would have made it worse. The weight had to go somewhere, so i put it where it would do its job best while on the tweakstation (closer to the centerline in even areas on the tweakstation... further from centerline in uneven areas, comparing front to back, left to right). When the car was first built with the electronics you see, the shocks at the same length on each end respectively so as to add no tweak, the car was balanced on a digital four scale tweakstation with less than 1oz difference from all four corners... thats front to rear, and left to right. That placed the weight bias almost dead center of the car, 50/50, unlike a stock ETC3 car. Already a great design, the ETC3 just needed a little massaging. The next chassis i have in the works places the 4X2 battery configuration inboard on both sides, without the servo lowered. This should help the weight tweak condition, and allow the car to transition and rotate evenly.

- Dave
Old 03-23-2004, 09:27 PM   #59
Tech Addict

So have you guys seen how my car has the batteries down the centre? I had the idea for about 2 years or more but could not get it to fit. Eventually I got everything to fit approx and decided to draw it all on autocad 2002. The corner weights are very close as is the weight front to rear eg 50% FR 50% LR. This can be also adjusted as the car is usually a few grams under weight.

cya
Mike
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 02:38 AM   #60
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Cobra81li200

Yeah I've seen, but I'm a bit doubtful about the rigidity of the chassis. It can't be even L/R.

Did you try it on the track yet ?
Cobra81li200 is offline   Reply With Quote