R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-19-2004, 02:30 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

i would have to agree with it looking like a BMI chassis with a modded lower deck....just make sure the bottom chassis stays flat when top deck is screwed down and the bearing in front of the spur is bind free and youll have yourself a sweet design ...congrats
Old 03-19-2004, 03:06 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default information on the website

Also you guys might want to read what information Bob has posted, it will give you a better insight on the chassis dynamics.

Thanks

Pickering
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 04:24 PM   #18
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i wish you the best but i dont think much will happen here.the similarities to my chassis are obvious.im glad i could be of help to you.as for the placement of electronics,thats an interesting sales point.are you going to place the electronics in the car for everyone?sorry buddy,i just get a little bothered by the whole issue.i wish you the best but you can show all the cad drawings you would like.i had mine done and a prototype running in the summer of last year.
i spent alot of time and engineering on my chassis,im glad i could help you.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 04:45 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to DT-Skyline Send a message via Yahoo to DT-Skyline Send a message via Skype™ to DT-Skyline

That new chassis looks so much lik the Pro 4 dude. Looks nice though. Maybe instead of getting a pro 4, i could just upgrade my TC3 to that. How mcuh for it?
DT-Skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 04:45 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Default hey jkerr !!

Quote:
Originally posted by jkerr0043
So is this going to be another running change or will that be the "TC4" all the AE heads have been looking for.
If you want to see what the real deal is .You have already ran against one .. ITS MINE !! yes thats right Ive been running the BMI TC# from the onset of it being realised.. This is to me a chassis that was bought and then some mods were implemented (batt pos.electrics and so on ..the top deck is a design from BMI as well as the chassis with the first ever chaffered battery slots ... ID like to see some track results on this chassis......
Old 03-19-2004, 04:58 PM   #21
Tech Lord

look familiar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg black tc3.jpg (157.2 KB, 486 views)
J Concepts
Old 03-19-2004, 05:14 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Default BMI who?

Comon Jason, show some respect buddy, Bob did not copy anything from your car design, he created ever part by him self.

mb racer: You might be right, this might be the car AE is looking for. Thanks for your nice comments.

Thanks

Pickering
Old 03-19-2004, 05:50 PM   #23
Tech Lord

i apologize,i wish you guys the best.
you guys do know me,bob emailed me from my website inquiring about my chassis on january 29th.
anyway,please post some pics when its done.its nice to see some more companies offering high performance hop ups for some of the highest quality r/c cars.

good luck guys,

jason
J Concepts
Old 03-19-2004, 11:20 PM   #24
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by jkerr0043
So is this going to be another running change or will that be the "TC4" all the AE heads have been looking for.
it's a running revision from what I hear why put out a "NEW" car when this one is still kicking everybody's but. it would be nice to know I don't have to mill a chassis everytime I wanted to replace the worn out one.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow ó never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long ó you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 08:39 AM   #25
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by BobW
Just thought the designer should get in his 2 cents worth. For those of you who think this is a BMI knock off your wrong. I didn't even see a BMI chassis until this project was very well developed. When you look at the TC3 chassis there are a number of constraints that you are forced to deal with like mounting points for the upper chassis. That is really the only thing that is similar to BMI. If you look closely you will see many other differences besides the battery placement. All the electronics have been placed to optimize the static weight balance and lower the mass moment of inertia in pitch, roll and yaw. This will improve chassis response. The motor mount retains the standard TC3 hardware which is one feature of the TC3 I really like and did not want to sacrifice.

I will be building this chassis shortly so I will keep the website updated for those who are interested.

That's my 2 cents.
Fancy words- "mass moment of inertia in pitch, roll and yaw"
Lower the mass moment of inertia TOO much and the car will feel dead.

Looks like the upper brace will bolt right on the proven BMI car!
NitroJohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 10:16 AM   #26
Tech Addict

Time to put in another 2 cents.

For those of you who canít see past the top deck design to the true differences in this chassis here is how I arrived at the upper chassis design.

Step 1 Ė You must have a two deck design when replacing a tub chassis to maintain torsional and bending stiffness.
Step 2 Ė Since you are adapting an existing drivetrain you have to interface the new chassis with it. Looking at the standard TC3 there are chassis braces that connect the transmission case to the outer points of the chassis. Here you must decide if you are going to include this design feature or eliminate it. I decided to include it as I believe it adds significant torsional stiffness to the chassis.
Step 3 Ė Now you have to decide how to implement the choice made in step 2. There are two options I looked at. First you could just keep the 4 standard chassis braces, provide mounting points on the outer chassis and connect the upper chassis to the transmission only (like the Warpspeed chassis). Iím sure this method would work just as well. The other choice is to eliminate these 4 components and build the braces into the upper chassis. Thatís what I decided to do
Step 4 Ė Finally you need to establish the geometry for the upper deck. You can do this yourself by simply projecting the chassis braces up to the plane of the upper chassis. Then all thatís required is toconnect the upper and lower chassis together. The simplest method I could come up with was to use posts.

Thatís how I arrived at the basic upper chassis design. I hadnít even seen BMIís until after I committed to this design concept. Actually when I saw BMIís chassis I wasnít even surprised that the upper deck design was so similar since you only have two choices. Iím sure Jasonís thought processes were similar when he developed his design. From there on the designs are very different.
To answer another couple of rumours. Yes I did contact BMI and asked how much lighter their chassis was. Thatís all. Finally I do not own a BMI chassis. I have seen one in person once though about 6 weeks ago.

Iím sorry this has upset everyone so much. I was having a lot of fun developing this design until this thread was started. I undertook this project to benefit my own racing aspirations and then thought maybe someone else might be interested to. Maybe next time Iíll just keep my ideas to myself.

I think Iím up to 4 cents now. Back to the Sebring Race.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 10:41 AM   #27
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by BobW
Time to put in another 2 cents.

For those of you who canít see past the top deck design to the true differences in this chassis here is how I arrived at the upper chassis design.

Step 1 Ė You must have a two deck design when replacing a tub chassis to maintain torsional and bending stiffness.
Step 2 Ė Since you are adapting an existing drivetrain you have to interface the new chassis with it. Looking at the standard TC3 there are chassis braces that connect the transmission case to the outer points of the chassis. Here you must decide if you are going to include this design feature or eliminate it. I decided to include it as I believe it adds significant torsional stiffness to the chassis.
Step 3 Ė Now you have to decide how to implement the choice made in step 2. There are two options I looked at. First you could just keep the 4 standard chassis braces, provide mounting points on the outer chassis and connect the upper chassis to the transmission only (like the Warpspeed chassis). Iím sure this method would work just as well. The other choice is to eliminate these 4 components and build the braces into the upper chassis. Thatís what I decided to do
Step 4 Ė Finally you need to establish the geometry for the upper deck. You can do this yourself by simply projecting the chassis braces up to the plane of the upper chassis. Then all thatís required is toconnect the upper and lower chassis together. The simplest method I could come up with was to use posts.

Thatís how I arrived at the basic upper chassis design. I hadnít even seen BMIís until after I committed to this design concept. Actually when I saw BMIís chassis I wasnít even surprised that the upper deck design was so similar since you only have two choices. Iím sure Jasonís thought processes were similar when he developed his design. From there on the designs are very different.
To answer another couple of rumours. Yes I did contact BMI and asked how much lighter their chassis was. Thatís all. Finally I do not own a BMI chassis. I have seen one in person once though about 6 weeks ago.

Iím sorry this has upset everyone so much. I was having a lot of fun developing this design until this thread was started. I undertook this project to benefit my own racing aspirations and then thought maybe someone else might be interested to. Maybe next time Iíll just keep my ideas to myself.

I think Iím up to 4 cents now. Back to the Sebring Race.
Honesty is the best policy!
NitroJohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 12:21 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

well. this needs to be put to rest...

why doesn't each company send me a chassis and I can place them side by side for a comparison.

MManson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 12:29 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by nashrcracer
it's a running revision from what I hear why put out a "NEW" car when this one is still kicking everybody's but. it would be nice to know I don't have to mill a chassis everytime I wanted to replace the worn out one.
money. they put out a new car to make money. why do you think xray, etc come out with a new car every few months?
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 12:43 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Default Two Totally Different Chassis Designs

M manson: I must say its quite funny, watching all this bickering over a design that the only similarities is the top deck and mounting posts. It sure does bring out the childish behaviours. O well i guess some people cant handle change.

Thanks again to all for the nice comments!

Edward Pickering.