Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Ernest Provetti Open letter to RC Industry >

Ernest Provetti Open letter to RC Industry

Ernest Provetti Open letter to RC Industry

Old 01-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Gravity RC

Right now 17.5 is commonly the slowest class in TC at most tracks. It is now Very fast and in my opinion too fast for someone that is just starting to race. I think that the point is that their is no place for someone to come in, spend 600$ or more and not feel like they waisted a paycheck as soon as they put it down for racing, to me "not waisting a paycheck" means that every car in that class is slow enough that even a beginner can see their potential, even if that is just running down the straight away at similar speeds to their more experienced compitition. Im not saying that replacing 17.5 is the answer but it is a problem now when that is the so called "entry level class".
Old 01-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I feel that 17.5 should be superstock and 13.5 be bumped to sportsman mod
Old 01-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

These rules are for ‘Sportsman Stock’, not 17.5 ‘stock’ classes in general.
Gotcha

Stock racing is an art in itself when you are lacking power and have to carry speed and drive smooth.

Jim Campbell
Tekin Prez
+1. This was my point. You said it better.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paul L
I Agree, 17.5 is not a beginner class anymore. 21.5 will not be iether if the programing of speedos stay in it. I dont know the answer but i like to see people talking about it.
Agreed

Maybe 25.5 or Li-Fe batteries...or...

SILVER CANS
Old 01-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by gashuffer
It will attract more people to race on a more level playing field without the pressure of sponsored or people running in a class that they are to good for.
Only if it trickles down to the club level. New drivers typically don't go to national events so while changing the national races may help that race, it will not help increase overall participation unless it also works and takes hold at a club level. But then we have the problem of what to do with sponsored drivers racing at a club event when there aren't enough people to have a sportsman and a non-sportsman class. Which is where we are now. It's a catch 22...you need the racers to make the class work...but you need the class to draw in racers.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I agree 17.5 is getting too fast....
Old 01-14-2010, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

We leave the entry level racers to the silver can/tub car class that many clubs still offer. Indeed, 17.5 has gotten way out of hand and I don't think sponsored/talented drivers should be driving with beginners in the first place. Unless, your club can't get the amount of people to split classes.

TGP in Japan is miles ahead with that understanding. Maybe we can learn a thing or two from them.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Only if it trickles down to the club level. New drivers typically don't go to national events so while changing the national races may help that race, it will not help increase overall participation unless it also works and takes hold at a club level. But then we have the problem of what to do with sponsored drivers racing at a club event when there aren't enough people to have a sportsman and a non-sportsman class. Which is where we are now. It's a catch 22...you need the racers to make the class work...but you need the class to draw in racers.
Well put.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (98%+)

Originally Posted by Paul L
Right now 17.5 is commonly the slowest class in TC at most tracks. It is now Very fast and in my opinion too fast for someone that is just starting to race. I think that the point is that their is no place for someone to come in, spend 600$ or more and not feel like they waisted a paycheck as soon as they put it down for racing, to me "not waisting a paycheck" means that every car in that class is slow enough that even a beginner can see their potential, even if that is just running down the straight away at similar speeds to their more experienced compitition. Im not saying that replacing 17.5 is the answer but it is a problem now when that is the so called "entry level class".

+1

theres a difference between the racers being too fast and the cars being too fast. These are seperate issues that must be addressed. I think this is a good first step though
Old 01-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I totally agree also with Jim and Paul.. Today 17.5 is NO place for a True Sportsman to enter and learn in this hobby with todays speeds. ROAR and Clubs should just bite the Bullet earley and Switch Sportsman to 21.5 NOW before the Year gets too far started and let NEW racers feel more relaxed trying to learn how to drive there car .
Old 01-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

21.5 at this point might be too fast too (especially if the technology advances anymore in the next year)
Old 01-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wstuart
+1

theres a difference between the racers being too fast and the cars being too fast. These are seperate issues that must be addressed. I think this is a good first step though
+1

So why doesn't ROAR offer a 21.5 class at the national events to help with the issue and allow them to race in the 17.5 class as a second class if they want to. This way the 17.5 racers could also race the 13.5 class. Giving everyone the option of running two classes.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

How long until the speedo wars are so advanced that you're running a 35.5 in open mod with the timing retarded just so you can hold on to it?

I know this goes against all rational thinking, but we need to SLOW down if we want participation to pick up.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Tech Regular

so why are all the experianced racers that run 17.5 not running 13.5? I dont understand? if your not a beginner, then step up to the next level...

look can someone just answer this...if you have been in the hobby for years and have a great deal of set up knowledge and driving skill, THEN WHY STAY IN 17.5? why not tackle the challege of 13.5??
Old 01-14-2010, 06:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by badKarma
so why are all the experianced racers that run 17.5 not running 13.5? I dont understand? if your not a beginner, then step up to the next level...

look can someone just answer this...if you have been in the hobby for years and have a great deal of set up knowledge and driving skill, THEN WHY STAY IN 17.5? why not tackle the challege of 13.5??

That's exactly what the rule is trying to help stop...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.