R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-21-2010, 11:51 AM   #301
Tech Adept
 
Morbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
My point was made in my first post. Threads like this keep popping up. New classes keep popping up. At the end of the day they all end up the same.

This thread is a great idea on paper, will it ever makes it to fruition? I doubt it... Someones personal interest will be served and another thread / class will be started.
Lemme get this straight about the point in your first post: you never raced before, tried RCGT with an antiquated ESC expecting to do well but got your arse handed to you and are now bubu about it, bemoan manufacturer support and ideas, and announce your indefinite retirement until someone creates a spec class for you with no specs. (psst...some people call that touring car)
__________________
All humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo.
Morbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:22 PM   #302
Tech Elite
 
stitchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,794
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
LHS have a prefernce to stock HPI versus Tamiya / Kyosho because of a lower price point, that doesnt make them better distributed. In the end I do think that it all depends as to where you're located. Lhs in Los Angeles area stock traxxas, xtm... In these times even HPI's price point is too high for them.
Have you tried Speedtech? They carry Tamiya, Kyosho AND HPI. The only place I've seen XTM is Hobby People.
__________________
Speedtechhobbies.com
stitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:54 PM   #303
Tech Elite
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,304
Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
Lemme get this straight about the point in your first post: you never raced before, tried RCGT with an antiquated ESC expecting to do well but got your arse handed to you and are now bubu about it, bemoan manufacturer support and ideas, and announce your indefinite retirement until someone creates a spec class for you with no specs. (psst...some people call that touring car)
Wow Morbo you should be at the fore front to bring in newcomers.

No I didn't get my arse handed to me because I never raced, remember!

I didn't bother to enter, because as you mentioned my ESC is already antiquated. So the idea of entering a low budget, entry class for newcomers (which was RCGT) is mute, I need to invest in a $200 ESC before getting started!
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:20 PM   #304
Tech Elite
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,304
Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
As for Kamikaze, you obviously don't know what you're talking about! I get all my Serpent parts from Sam and he's the best source for Kyosho as well. The place that stocks mostly Mugen and OFNA is Nitrohouse. Get your facts straight before you mouth off like a total idiot.
Just checked his site and you're right he does offer a lot of parts for Serpent and Kyosho. Back in December I needed some Serpent 960 parts and everything was out of stock or I could not find it on his site, so I was left with the impression. My mistake, assumption is the mother of all [email protected]#$&*@ ..People make mistakes and those of us that are adults admit to it so there is no need for your idiot comment.

Last edited by Raman; 03-23-2010 at 01:32 AM.
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:57 AM   #305
Tech Adept
 
Morbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Wow Morbo you should be at the fore front to bring in newcomers.

No I didn't get my arse handed to me because I never raced, remember!

I didn't bother to enter, because as you mentioned my ESC is already antiquated. So the idea of entering a low budget, entry class for newcomers (which was RCGT) is mute, I need to invest in a $200 ESC before getting started!
Oops you never entered, my bad. You looked at the water and decided it was too cold before even touching it. Whatever gave you the idea that RCGT was a low budget entry class for newcomers? Controlled tires? How do you think it would help if RCGT included Traxxas (?!) or Tamiya tires? Your whole manufacturer conspiracy theory is so crazy it's comedic.
I also find it funny that you say "People make mistakes and those of us that are adults admit to it" and never admit to making a mistake. Mouthing off indeed.
__________________
All humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo.
Morbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:31 AM   #306
Tech Elite
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,304
Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default

Isn't writing it a form of admittance in itself? To satisfy you, I edited my post.

That's the way RCGT was presented to me. Guess I better go shoot the messenger for misinforming me.

My manufacturer argument: To you it may seem crazy, to me it seems someone is picking and choosing certain products for the class which do an outsider does not make sense since its being called a spec class. Oddly enough its the ESC that's causing the class to not be level playing field.. not the spec'd x pattern tyre!
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:16 AM   #307
Tech Champion
 
tc3team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 6,151
Default

If you want strategy, how about 8 minute races...






but 5 minute marshalling?
__________________
Fusion Hobbies / www.horshamrc.org

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #308
Tech Lord
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,919
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
choosing certain products for the class which to an outsider does not make sense since its being called a spec class.
spec·i·fi·ca·tion
   /ˌspɛsəfɪˈkeɪʃən/ Show Spelled[spes-uh-fi-key-shuhn]
–noun
1. the act of specifying.
2. Usually, specifications. a detailed description or assessment of requirements, dimensions, materials, etc., as of a proposed building, machine, bridge, etc.
3. a particular item, aspect, calculation, etc., in such a description.
4. something specified, as in a bill of particulars; a specified particular, item, or article.
5. an act of making specific.
6. the state of having a specific character.
__________________
Hebiki Design Works
Custom R/C Vinyl Graphics & Apparel: Your gear, your way!
Web Design - Web Development - Logo Design - Graphic Design
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #309
Tech Champion
 
YR4Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,625
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
...there is no need for your idiot comment.
I don't need to say it any further. You beating this "spec" tire issue to death is showing everyone that you are.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #310
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 206
Default

Why bother with 17.5 and 13.5 classes if the Tekin is that much quicker, might as well just have one open class.
__________________
Tekin - The ultimate trophy hunters choice!!!
FactoryTeam08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:08 PM   #311
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Jersey -- Exit 4
Posts: 232
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Getting Newcomers

I think this thread started as something about attracting newcomers. Truth be told, without new blood, any activity dies. So what are the opportunities for RC racing?

I've had an advertising business for over 20 years and I'm a casual racer. I got into on-road last year because of VTA -- with my initial attraction being the look of the bodies. Turns out that the "realistic" look is a big reason why a lot of newcomers are interested these days. RCGT, Mini and F1 all fit the category and they seem to have grown in popularity around these parts.

The ad guy in me sees a motivating factor in the realistic look. Guys like the idea of little versions of their favorite cars going round and round and banging into each other. So let's look at the obstacles to somebody who has an idea to go RC racing. Cost is a big factor, but complexity is also a biggie -- nobody wants to look stupid and if you need an engineering degree to race toy cars, 90% of potential participants will count themselves out.

So an affordable spec rules package can reduce both cost and complexity and open the door to more participants. USVTA has done a good job and the new 2010 rules make outfitting a car even easier. RCGT is on the verge of screwing the pooch by turning into 17.5 touring with a spec tire and different body.

Some racers will get more serious and want to go faster and have the latest gear. That's perfectly fine, just don't mess up the spec classes on your way out. As a casual racer, I'm not going to get into the technology race. I'm perfectly happy bashing a VTA car for the rest of my "career."

If I were the king off all things RC, I'd draw a line in the sand. The realistic classes would all be spec classes designed to keep cost and complexity down for newcomers and casual racers. That leaves 1/12th, pan and Touring Car as the places to go when you want to jump into the deeper end of the pool.
__________________
“There’s little point in writing if you can’t annoy somebody.”- Kingsley Amis
jhberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #312
Tech Elite
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,304
Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
I don't need to say it any further. You beating this "spec" tire issue to death is showing everyone that you are.
It's comforting to know that you live in so cal. Who knows, maybe in the near future we will meet, then I'd like to see you if you have the courage making the same comment to my face.
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:14 PM   #313
Tech Elite
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,304
Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchy View Post
Have you tried Speedtech? They carry Tamiya, Kyosho AND HPI. The only place I've seen XTM is Hobby People.
Stitchy, thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten about Speedtech. Will give them a try.
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #314
Tech Lord
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,919
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhberger View Post
I think this thread started as something about attracting newcomers. Truth be told, without new blood, any activity dies. So what are the opportunities for RC racing?

I've had an advertising business for over 20 years and I'm a casual racer. I got into on-road last year because of VTA -- with my initial attraction being the look of the bodies. Turns out that the "realistic" look is a big reason why a lot of newcomers are interested these days. RCGT, Mini and F1 all fit the category and they seem to have grown in popularity around these parts.

The ad guy in me sees a motivating factor in the realistic look. Guys like the idea of little versions of their favorite cars going round and round and banging into each other. So let's look at the obstacles to somebody who has an idea to go RC racing. Cost is a big factor, but complexity is also a biggie -- nobody wants to look stupid and if you need an engineering degree to race toy cars, 90% of potential participants will count themselves out.

So an affordable spec rules package can reduce both cost and complexity and open the door to more participants. USVTA has done a good job and the new 2010 rules make outfitting a car even easier. RCGT is on the verge of screwing the pooch by turning into 17.5 touring with a spec tire and different body.

Some racers will get more serious and want to go faster and have the latest gear. That's perfectly fine, just don't mess up the spec classes on your way out. As a casual racer, I'm not going to get into the technology race. I'm perfectly happy bashing a VTA car for the rest of my "career."

If I were the king off all things RC, I'd draw a line in the sand. The realistic classes would all be spec classes designed to keep cost and complexity down for newcomers and casual racers. That leaves 1/12th, pan and Touring Car as the places to go when you want to jump into the deeper end of the pool.
say... in a perfect world..... RCGT adopts the VTA motor rules (i think they use the Novak system with the 25.5, not sure. someone will correct me. ). someone will complain that Company "X" is preferred over Company "Y".

oh wait.. someone already said that earlier since RCGT uses a spec tire (HPI X-Patterns).

great idea too many haters and too many agendas to make it work.
__________________
Hebiki Design Works
Custom R/C Vinyl Graphics & Apparel: Your gear, your way!
Web Design - Web Development - Logo Design - Graphic Design
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #315
Tech Champion
 
YR4Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,625
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
say... in a perfect world..... RCGT adopts the VTA motor rules (i think they use the Novak system with the 25.5, not sure. someone will correct me. ). someone will complain that Company "X" is preferred over Company "Y".

oh wait.. someone already said that earlier since RCGT uses a spec tire (HPI X-Patterns).

great idea too many haters and too many agendas to make it work.
Chris, its 21.5

Really, I have to agree with jhberger, RCGT "already" screwed the pooch. At first it was noble to start the class with "D" compound tires only which meant that you couldn't over power the tires due to limited traction but once the flood gates got opened to allow pro-compound and belted X-patterns, traction was no longer a limiting factor when there are no limitations on speed. Really RCGT is no different than just regular 17.5 TC so why bother having that class distract from the regular TC racing.

However, the ABC Truspec is exactly how RCGT was originally intended, but it would be nice if that would allow other "scale" bodies made by Tamiya and others.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:15 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net