R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-26-2010, 01:47 AM   #256
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Racer OG View Post
I'd like to know where is the attraction when you have 10 heat races on a week night with racing not getting over until after midnight when people have to drive home and be at work in the morning? Longer races = longer night.
Sometimes I wish the races were shorter so Im not as tired at work following a race night.
I contend that for 90% of the racing I've seen, that getting drivers to the stand at club races goes on WAY to long, usually 5-15 minutes per heat extra because most clubs don't want to run more than once an hour or "most" drivers won't be ready again. You can 40 drivers once an hour for 12-13 minutes of track time each, if planned well.

That's always the argument when we discuss this, "Gonna make the night to long". If your local racing schedule is already packed and running long, you don't need noobs, or to change anything. For the other 95% of the clubs, It works just fine. Plenty of time to kill.

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:51 AM   #257
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Bob,

You have an open invitation to join us here in Hawaii!
I raced there one time in a park near the airport. Was a great time, super fun people and very hospitible. Although that red dirt ruined all my socks...

I also wacked my wife with a surfboard and she still brings it up years later. "remember that time you tried to knock me out with a surfboard?!"...

Old 01-26-2010, 02:06 AM   #258
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer View Post
I raced there one time in a park near the airport. Was a great time, super fun people and very hospitible. Although that red dirt ruined all my socks...
It was at the Hawaiian Open Offroad championships. Can't remember the year though.
RoyU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:48 AM   #259
Tech Regular

Quote:
Racing formats have not caught up with technology. 1980, 8 minute 12th scale on 1200's at 7.2volts. 2010, 8 minute 12th scale at 3.7 volts with nearly 6 times the battery capacity with a lighter car. still, only 8 minutes.............................. Should be 15minutes at the very least for 17.5 and etc.

Noobs need track time, Old dudes want track time.
This would be sweet. If clubs only ran two classes, 12th & 10th TC, say both use 21.5 motors 20min for 12th and 15min for TC. Would give crap loads of track time (I like that) and make you plan you race. Would slow down the cars drastically, less breakage = more fun.
ddesros2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #260
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

From what I have seen we definitely don't need longer 12th scale races. At least not until they are more durable. Most of the races I have seen only about half the participants finish the race.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:20 AM   #261
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

A few of the problems (cars too fast, race nights too long) might be alleviated in the future by technology such as LiFePo batteries. Too fast? LiFePo batteries are 6.6v compared to 7.4v. Need more time between runs to charge? They can be charged at much higher rates, perhaps reducing the one run per hour "requirement" Bob talks about. (remember the good ol days of 15 minute chargers?) Maxamps says their LiFe batteries can be charged at 15c (!) Plus, they're supposedly safer.

It's too bad that these packs are (so far) very expensive. Plus, in this economy, good luck getting racers to spend *more* money to go slower. (but hey, aren't VTA racers doing it?) Just food for thought...
Old 01-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #262
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
From what I have seen we definitely don't need longer 12th scale races. At least not until they are more durable. Most of the races I have seen only about half the participants finish the race.
really? we tend to see nearly zero with 12th and WGT, touring is where we see most of the breakage.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #263
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Bob,

You have an open invitation to join us here in Hawaii! We have recently changed our format. Here is what we do.

For qualifying we have an "open" qualifying session, usually 15min. We take the average of your 5 fastest laps and let that set the qualifying order. Theres time to make changes to the car if you choose to or you can just join in at anytime during the session.

We run 3 mains for each class at 8 minutes. This brings some strategy back into the game as you can overheat your tires, so you need to manage your throttle finger. We also use the results from all the mains for point totals at the end of the series, this also brings strategy back as it will make that "risky" pass even more so as you could crash and lose points.

All and all we have found it to be very competitive and it brings strategy and good driving back into the game.

Bob
I like this idea quite a lot. Much more like full-scale racing, especially with the qualifying format.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #264
Tech Champion

Quote:
really? we tend to see nearly zero with 12th and WGT, touring is where we see most of the breakage.
We get some in TC but it seems to be worse in 12th scale and we have some great 12th scalers in this area.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #265
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
we have some great 12th scalers in this area.
Yeah, but do you have this????

CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #266
Tech Champion

That's great. I wish we had some of that!
Old 03-16-2010, 11:22 PM   #267
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I've been in this hobby for years but have never raced. I learned about RCGT 2 months ago and thought, realistic scale bodies, motors limited to 17.5, HPI X pattern tyres. I picked up a TC car and started prepping for this class.

A month later I learned its already spiraled out of control due to the new ESC's with adjustable timing. On top of that there are a bunch of sponsored drivers in the class as well. So before starting out, I'm already discouraged because now I have to go to buy a Tekin RS/RS Pro because my GTB with 17.5 is not good enough.

Since then I've noticed a lot of new threads being started on how to stop the demise of on-road racing and how to get the newcomers to race. Were on page 18 on this one.. anyone achieve anything yet? NOPE

Why.... because the people setting the rules for these classes all have some sort of personal interest or personal tie to some manufacturer. RCGT, you have to run HPI x pattern tyres..Why can't it be rubber tyre from Tamiya, Traxxas and RP? Afterall HPI has its own class where you run their cars and tyres as does Tamiya with TCS.

Fast forward to a year later and RCGT has become too fast.. all you have to do to cure the problem is ban ESCs that can adjust timing and kick the sponsored drivers out. Instead a new class is being tested now Truespec series.

Rules are, no carbon fibre chassis and you have to run ABC hobby bodies, tyres and ESC / motor. Maybe it will succeed since ESC / motor are from one manufacturer. So the ESC timing issue has been solved but royalties for body and tyre go to ABC Hobby.

Someone started a thread on RCGT Nitro class. Again HPI X pattern tyres because it contained the word RCGT

No matter anyway you guys try to organise the new class, someone is going to throw a bone to some manufacturer. And some manufacturer is going to get their sponsored driver into the class to dominate it. It's kind of like how our government operates. You want to redo healthcare, finance, banking well someones pockets need to be greased somehow.

Well I'm going to go back on the side lines and watch and see what happens. Best of luck
Raman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:17 AM   #268
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

This may sound unusual but I think that if something is going to have a chance it will have to come from someone who actually isnt within the RC industry. Im sure that someone who isnt beholden to a manufacturer could come up with an idea and be able to make it work and not have it become as corrupted as many classes have that come before.
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #269
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Why.... because the people setting the rules for these classes all have some sort of personal interest or personal tie to some manufacturer. RCGT, you have to run HPI x pattern tyres..Why can't it be rubber tyre from Tamiya, Traxxas and RP? Afterall HPI has its own class where you run their cars and tyres as does Tamiya with TCS.
RCGT and USVTA is considered a SPEC CLASS. SPEC - means, you are given the specific BRAND or TYPE of equipment and you can ONLY use those options in order to race. In RCGT case, HPI X-pattern tires are all you can use. If like you said, including Tamiya, Much More, Traxxas, Rp....then it won't be SPEC. For those who can afford $50 per set of tires, he will tested all of them and find the BEST TIRES amount the rule and take advantage of it. That way, a so-called SPEC race ended up just as expensive as MOD racing.... Usually 1 brand, 1 type application also SAVE MONEY...the fast guy also use the same one as you, he is faster because he setup his car better, and he drives better...no cheating involve. And also, HPI or other does not PAY these club for running their rule...they rule these rule cause they are the most reconized....(same as USVTA)

TCS and USVTA rules are the perfect example.

Quote:
Fast forward to a year later and RCGT has become too fast.. all you have to do to cure the problem is ban ESCs that can adjust timing and kick the sponsored drivers out. Instead a new class is being tested now Truespec series.
X-pattern won't last too long if using FAST motor and speedo...that is the REAL REASON behind the ban of fast software, not because ppl are scare of being fast or ppl cannot afford a $170 speed control. Again...SPEC. Also, keep cost down and still have fun and fair condition of racing. The theory behind RCGT and USVTA.

Quote:
Rules are, no carbon fibre chassis and you have to run ABC hobby bodies, tyres and ESC / motor. Maybe it will succeed since ESC / motor are from one manufacturer. So the ESC timing issue has been solved but royalties for body and tyre go to ABC Hobby.
How come you are not asking the same question you asked before...WHY only ABC hobby bodies..not HPI or Tamiya? Why? You answered your own question eariler....
But I do agreed with you...1 mfr race is the best setup, but reality, hard to execute..Tamiya and HPI are one of the few can actually do that (TCS and HPI challegne)
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:50 AM   #270
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
Yeah, but do you have this????
No wonder Chicky said he is working on some secret project with SERPENT lately.............this is totally a SURPRISE. Someone should forward this to SERPENT and RedRC....LOL
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote