Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 02:12 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by HappyHippo
On the Schumacher forum... some one said somthng about a MI4 on its way?

Anyone that Knows? or it is just BS......
Seems Like a (THE?) secret is out.
Schumacher will be making an announcement in 2-3 weeks. I called and asked them myself yesterday.
No clue if it's an update to the 3.5 or a Mi4....
Old 03-18-2009, 06:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BagofSkill
Seems Like a (THE?) secret is out.
Schumacher will be making an announcement in 2-3 weeks. I called and asked them myself yesterday.
No clue if it's an update to the 3.5 or a Mi4....
I've no idea either, but the list of bits that Chris Grainger and Lee Woodhams have changed, and are testing with, is substantial, longer top decks (hence cut down bulkheads etc, different roll bar mounting positions, different ackermann designs.

The rear shock tower was the first thing Chris asked for and as you've seen, that's out already.

I would have thought an Mi4 will be some way off as they haven't done any outdoor testing yet with their modifications to the Mi3.5!

Skiddins
Old 03-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

CVD

because of the overdrive sent through driveshafts it puts the cvd'd under alot of strain
there's no cure to stop it completely
to reduce it what we do is regularly clean out the cvd
which is where the axle meets driveshaft
there's a pin
undo grub screw knock pin out
spray with bit break cleaner
put bit grease in to lubricate the joint
put back together it be smoother
just helps moisten the joint, and ya cant beat a nice bit of moisture

HTH

Matt Chan
Old 03-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

The chatter probleem seems to be confined to Xrays only because of thier suspension setup.

So far as I know/have experienced the Mi3/3.5 doesn't have any chatter issues so I doubt anything will become available.
I haven't come across a car yet that doesn't have the 'chatter' when using a spool and a lot of steering lock.

The Gayray's ECS driveshafts are very good at removing the chatter as they effectively halve the angle that each section of the driveshaft/axle has to use.

I believe Schumacher tried to develop a more complicated system some time ago, but because of it's design it would have been too expensive/complicated to warrant selling it to customers.

Skiddins
Old 03-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Tech Regular

The chatter probleem seems to be confined to Xrays only because of thier suspension setup.

So far as I know/have experienced the Mi3/3.5 doesn't have any chatter issues so I doubt anything will become available.
Maybe I should have phrased it differently. The Xray is the only car I've seen where a remedy is warranted.

If the Mi3 has any chatter I don't think it's significant enough to warrant new shafts. If you're having issues maybe you should look at your ackerman settings?
Old 03-18-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ragnarbm
Im sorta new to touring car and I recently picked up and Mi3.5 pro and have been having some issues with it. The big problem is when I turn left especially my suspension starts offloading. You can see the arm vibrating up and down and it sounds like its literally sounds like its tearing itself apart. It will do this regardless of whether its sitting on the ground or up on my car stand. But it will only do this if there is rotating mass on the drive train (i.e my tires). Someone had suggested that my cv's are bottoming out. Ive taken them out but i see no unusual signs of wear that would suggest that. My epa is to the right is 70 after that the right side does the same thing but on the left i cant go any higher than 20. I was thinking that maybe its the servo itself, it may be too strong (its an ace 1315) but id like to get some suggestions before i try more things

Id appreciate any help i could get..thanks
if your epa is 70 on one side and 20 on the other you need to go thru your steering setup, make sure radio is set to zero on all steering trims and sub trims, put your servo arm on at a 45 or close to as possible, with sub trim set it to 45 if needed, make sure your right and left steering links are the same length, and use the link between the servo arm and steering "Y" arm to center the wheels, forgot to mention your epas should have been at 100 on right and left also to start with. with everything centered, now turn the wheel to the left till the steering knuckle hits the steering hub and adjust epa so it just barely hits. do the same on the right

I don't know if its in the instructions or came on the car, but with the Mi3 they have you C A a spacer on the steering knuckle where it hits the hub to limit the travel which also takes care of the chatter. there may be some, but not enough matter.

i seen several different brands of chassis all with the chatter, but it comes with the spool, with a diff, mine does not do it, with a spool it does.

hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by skypilot
if your epa is 70 on one side and 20 on the other you need to go thru your steering setup, make sure radio is set to zero on all steering trims and sub trims, put your servo arm on at a 45 or close to as possible, with sub trim set it to 45 if needed, make sure your right and left steering links are the same length, and use the link between the servo arm and steering "Y" arm to center the wheels, forgot to mention your epas should have been at 100 on right and left also to start with. with everything centered, now turn the wheel to the left till the steering knuckle hits the steering hub and adjust epa so it just barely hits. do the same on the right

I don't know if its in the instructions or came on the car, but with the Mi3 they have you C A a spacer on the steering knuckle where it hits the hub to limit the travel which also takes care of the chatter. there may be some, but not enough matter.

i seen several different brands of chassis all with the chatter, but it comes with the spool, with a diff, mine does not do it, with a spool it does.

hope this helps.
Just to clarify i had it on a set up board with the servo centered so on so forth. The epa's i stated is where i had to set them to get 0 vibration. Also its not just some chatter it is violent vibration. The car looks and sounds like its trying to tear itself apart. Even when its on the ground it does the same thing. At first when i was driving it around i thought it was the body dragging on the ground so I lifted it up and tried again. Still did it so i took the body off and it just sounded like crap driving around the track. But you guys have given me some good ideas of things to check out. I appreciate it
Old 03-21-2009, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ragnarbm
Just to clarify i had it on a set up board with the servo centered so on so forth. The epa's i stated is where i had to set them to get 0 vibration. Also its not just some chatter it is violent vibration. The car looks and sounds like its trying to tear itself apart. Even when its on the ground it does the same thing. At first when i was driving it around i thought it was the body dragging on the ground so I lifted it up and tried again. Still did it so i took the body off and it just sounded like crap driving around the track. But you guys have given me some good ideas of things to check out. I appreciate it
There is also the possibility then when building the CVD's you tightened the grub screw that hold s the pin too tightly, this causes the pin to bend very slightly and prevents the axle having a smooth rotation througn the full 360deg when the axle and shaft are at different angles.

Take the driveshafts out and check they are very smooth, you should be able to rotate the shaft horizontaly in your fingers and the axle should always 'droop' towards the floor under it's own weight.
If it sticks at all, you have a problem.

Skiddins
Old 03-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

if you have access to a drill press (better choice) or a drill, chuck up the axle in the in the drill, while holding the drive shaft start the drill and spin it slowly, now move the shaft side to side. this will help finding the binding.

And thanks for the carification, i read it wrong.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:33 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Congrats to Mike Haynes - Super Stock Touring Rubber 2009 ROAR Electric On Road Carpet National Champion!

http://www.liverc.com/view_result_fi...-A_Results.xml

I'm happy he broke the Chris Goetz 9th place curse.

(I cannot believe I'm the first person to post this -- especially since I don't have his avatar)
Old 03-22-2009, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Yay MH.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Tech Addict

hey schuie guys, i am going to run the new rcgt class at this years reedy race, with my new m-3.5.. thats with the 17t motors. what is a good body and setup for this class? the slowest motors i usually run are 13.5. any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance.

ps, great job mike at the carpet nats
Old 03-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Tech Addict

hey mike, are you going to attend the reedy? i think that mini-dub is coming down. i hope to see a lot of schueys at this years race. my entry is in!!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 03:28 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

What the hell is RCGT? Is that like world GT with TC?

And good job yesterday Sir Michael Haynes III Esq.

Originally Posted by gdcopbdcop
hey schuie guys, i am going to run the new rcgt class at this years reedy race, with my new m-3.5.. thats with the 17t motors. what is a good body and setup for this class? the slowest motors i usually run are 13.5. any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance.

ps, great job mike at the carpet nats
Old 03-23-2009, 07:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Congrats to Mike Haynes on the well deserved win. Really impressed with how quickly you got both cars dialed in but knowing you I am sure you are still thinking of ways to get them even better!!!

Later
Gael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.