Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seaball
notes on this one:

- 2 hole front pistons, and heavier rear dampening. this car turned quite well off power, and despite increased dampening from the pistons and oil, had tons of steering. for some reason, the smaller holed piston, the more aggressive the steering is, given the same dampening (on the bench).
- low diffs. cleveland was high, these were low. the car is sharper with low diffs, which i found helpful in the double chicane (switchback) area. you can wrench the wheel more as the car stays flatter.
- 6* (plastic) blocks. the 5* tamales that i love just turned in too hard with this shock setup. both, the additional castor, and the flex of the plastic allowed for a more mild turn-in (transition).
- 33# xray springs. further helped the car slow down on the way in, but steered in the middle.
- longer front link softened the turn-in (reaction) as well.

all in all, it worked great. it was probably the most aggressive of my setups, if only marginally. this setup (lighter rear oil) was quite good at home (the gate) before i left.

again, have at it.
With that all said and done Chris, is this the best the car has been to date (driving not factored in of course)? Any other nuances you wanna try to get the car even better?

BTW...good job @ the 'Birds & thanks for the set-up.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Many thanks!! I never had these much help Anyway, I tried and look at all the possible cost and I did found whats wrong. My front belt is touching one of the screw from the cf steering plate everytime I turn I adjust my belt tension and everything seems ok now. Thanks Again!

Hay, I'm no Jon Kerrrrrrrrrrr but I'll be their on Sat.
LOL Jon, why are they picking on you every time. hehe

I have a couple ideas that might fix it. Come and see me.
will do thanks!!

Last edited by Tomie; 02-07-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tomie

LOL Jon, why are they picking on you every time. hehe
They're jealous.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Tech Addict

A big congrats to all the drivers that where able to make the A Mains in their class.....Also a Hugh Thanks to all the shuie guys that helped me get dialed in during Snowbirds....Caster, Goetz, Kling, Ford, Lazzard and Hess....couldn't have gotten setup without the help...THANKS....see some of you guys at the Carpet Nats.....
Wesley
Old 02-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Wink sorry you asked, eh?

Originally Posted by JayBee
With that all said and done Chris, is this the best the car has been to date (driving not factored in of course)? Any other nuances you wanna try to get the car even better?

BTW...good job @ the 'Birds & thanks for the set-up.
thank you, and you're welcome. always trying to get every ounce out of it.

the best the car's been? um, yes and no at the same time. i've been about the same speed at every race this year. each time, i roll in with a different setup, and essentially get the same results (give or take a few spots).

it's more about how the car's doing it, not so much about how much, if that makes any sence. my cleveland setup pivots at the rear end. it feels like the rear is locked in, and the front of the car does all the moving. this recent setup, is the opposite. the small pistons bring the pivot up to around the front windshield, and i lost the wrap that i had until i put 6* blocks on it. it also steered off-power more.

none of that is good/bad in general. it has to do with the track type and how you want to drive the car. chicanes are easier with cars that pivot in the rear. those cars seem more accurate to me. carousels are usually better done with some slip in the rear end, or the car tends to go in, stop, and come out (which too much rear slip will do as well).

all of my setups tend to steer about the same for this reason. if your car pushes, you can't complete the corner with speed. if it's loose, it tends to waste speed by sliding to a momentary stop (not a full stop, but you'll see the car rotate, stop, and then drive off).

another big issue i got into at the race was about execution. ball cups/fit. that's huge because my setups are done using very tight joints (no bind, no slop). you can't run 1 or 1.5* of front camber if your wheel slop is 1*, right? because it will preload to positive in a corner and you'll lose it all. second thing is shimming the shock pistons. if you don't put somewhere between a .005 to .010" shim on the piston before the e-clip, it will float. with the limited displacement our front shocks see, this 'skipping' feeling can actually be felt on the track. it makes for a car that works fine when driven easily, but a wrench of the wheel and out of nowhere it does something stupid in a turn where it just did the last 5 laps just fine.

so that's all i got. (which i'm guessing is plenty ) as far as future tweaks, i don't know. it's such a complex system, that i kind of pick something that i want to run on the car (whether it's diff heights, a certain roll center, or pistons) and tune the system to work with those particular elements. and you have to remember, for the big races, you're essentially 'peaking' for those exact conditions. all the club race stuff is done to get a database of what each change does (as you see it) so that it can be recalled and put into play when you're on visitors' turf.

the cool thing is that we end up with a handful of setups that should appeal to each type of driver.

- cg -

ps - hpi ball studs fit snuggly in our cups. if you sand/polish each one until it fits right (they start out too tight), you'll be done with that for a long time. they are also the same height as ours, so you don't need to recalculate everything. i've heard the core titanium ones are good as well. people think i'm nuts, but it will only take a short evening to do the whole car, and they will last the life it. (it's this kind of stuff that makes our goofy little hobby 10x better than a video game).
Old 02-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

THANKS for that Chris....very insightful into what makes you tick.

Schumacher Corner is definitely the place to be!! With Shawn and Adam on the mic; and Seaball, Caster, McGoo & Skypilot on the wheels of steel!! (I know there's others but the list is too damn long)

Very proud to be a part of this
Old 02-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Geez I only got a MI2 but I wanna get an MI3 just because how sweet you make it sound Chris! I feel weak owning this outdated piece and I wanna be able to run your set ups and kick ass! MI3 here I come!
Old 02-08-2008, 03:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi guys

Anybody knows a 3 mm belt same lenght as the MI3?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-08-2008, 04:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by abailey21
Ah yes..next year my good man... next year
YGPM
Old 02-08-2008, 05:54 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I should have something for you later today

Originally Posted by Wicksy1
YGPM
Old 02-08-2008, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Itchy
Anybody knows a 3 mm belt same lenght as the MI3?
we run 171t front, and a 60t rear. the rear is easy, (xray, hpi rs4 series). i don't recall who has our front. here's a sweet page with some belts listed that are easy to obtain:

http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/woi0093p?C=CLF&P=1

wonder why you need alternates? ours are pretty nice, with curved teeth (instead of trapezoidal) so they trasmit torque a little better (not to mention they mate with our pullies).

(i'm still waiting for our 32/24 (high ratio) pulleys to be released. we would be able to run standard spurs with a 24t center... )

jaybee, no problem. more and more, i realize that it's not just the information that's helpful (setups, etc), but the application of the information that makes the difference. like i told mcgoo in vegas, i wish we all had more opportunities to race with each other. there's nothing better than trading up cars, to help put everything into perspective.

- cg -
Old 02-08-2008, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by abailey21
I should have something for you later today
sounds scary
Old 02-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seaball
we run 171t front, and a 60t rear. the rear is easy, (xray, hpi rs4 series). i don't recall who has our front. here's a sweet page with some belts listed that are easy to obtain:

http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/woi0093p?C=CLF&P=1

wonder why you need alternates? ours are pretty nice, with curved teeth (instead of trapezoidal) so they trasmit torque a little better (not to mention they mate with our pullies).

(i'm still waiting for our 32/24 (high ratio) pulleys to be released. we would be able to run standard spurs with a 24t center... )

jaybee, no problem. more and more, i realize that it's not just the information that's helpful (setups, etc), but the application of the information that makes the difference. like i told mcgoo in vegas, i wish we all had more opportunities to race with each other. there's nothing better than trading up cars, to help put everything into perspective.

- cg -

Extremely well put, Johnathan Trixterburg
Old 02-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Just posting some pictures of my car.... hope you guys enjoy.

I might switch to a MI3 eventually
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Corner-car1.jpg   Schumacher Corner-car2.jpg  
Old 02-08-2008, 12:46 PM
TFR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Anybody looking for a Checkpoint TC1030 to match their MI3? PM me...
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Corner-cimg2092.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.