Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 07:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Two small notes to Impactplayrs advice. First, hold the shock at a 45d angle while you screw it together (this puts the air bubble at the top of the shock) and I always bleed the shocks twice if they are new or just rebuilt (to make sure the volume compensating foam is saturated). Hope that helps...
Old 05-04-2003, 11:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Impactplayer & racerx: Thanks for your advice. I have tried what you suggested, but it doesn't make a big difference.

Could it be that the volume compensator sponges wear out?

Right now the only way that I can get the shocks to move in and out without feeling like there is a spring inside the shock is to have some air in them
Any more advice is appreciated.
Old 05-04-2003, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Seems like there is too much oil in them.
Old 05-04-2003, 01:38 PM
Tech Rookie

I agree. There is too much oil in them, or the volume compensator sponges are bad.
I bought the car on ebay, so it is not new. I have taken the shocks apart and they are built correctly. It is possible, but unlikely, that the previous owner used 'bad' shock fluid that affected the volume compensators.
If the shocks were cleaned out with motor spray and the compensators were also sprayed thoroughly, would the motor spray eat into the sponges? If so, how could I tell the difference?
Old 05-04-2003, 06:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 264 (100%+)

Hey guy's ran the first leg of the ORL series sponsored by Trinity today. Mission was FAST!!! Ran rubber's every one else on foam. Qualifed 6th finished 2 laps down in 3rd. Not to shabby! Heres the web site you can check it out look for pictures soon!http://www.outlawracingleague.com
Old 05-05-2003, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

Yes, the volume comps go bad. I change mine about every six months or less. I've pulled the compensators out where they have looked like black washers and not foams at all. Try checking that next...
Old 05-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I haven't heard much lately about the roll center mod. Have most people gone back to the stock setup? What track conditions are feasible for the roll center mod? Thanks!
Old 05-05-2003, 10:37 PM
Tech Regular

Im running it in the front, seems faster upon entering a corner and exiting. I will try it in the rear though.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

I recently went back to trying the standard front roll centre....didnt like the steering response, far too much initial, and mid corner understeer. I then spent the day fine tuning it, but in the end preferred it with the roll centre mod, so went back.

The standard Roll centre would be more suited to tight technical track, with non flowing corners...On and Off the gas type stuff. My track is more flowing, so the increased Mid and exit corner speed and steering is welcome.

I havent posted much here in a while..I have been visiting but not too much to post about...

I have been trying a number of different setups, but nothing too innovative.

Has anyone stumbled across any setup ideas they would like to share?..

I will post my current rubber tire Asphalt Mod setup.
(no treatment on track, clean, Med bite)

Front:
Spring: AE silver
Oil: 30 weight Piston: 2 hole
Std swaybar
Ride height: 5mm
droop: 3mm (8mm total uptravel)
shock position: 3 on tower, inner on arm
Upper arm Position: hole 2 on Bulkhead, Inline on hub.
(Fusion Bulkhead)
6 degree Castor
.5 degree Camber
0 degree Toe (at wheel)
2 degree Inboard Toe
Hole 1 steering Link on hub
Raised Roll centre Mod (2mm)
Oneway Diff
wheelbase middle

Rear:
Spring: AE silver
Oil: 30 weight Piston: 2 hole
Std swaybar
Ride height: 5.5mm
droop: 4mm (9.5mm total uptravel)
shock position: 4 on tower, inner on arm
Upper arm Position: hole 2 on Bulkhead, inner on hub.
(std Bulkhead)
1 degree Camber
2.25 degree Toe (at wheel)
0 degree Inboard Toe
wheelbase middle

Misc:
Motor 8x2 Fantom Ti. geared at 86 - 20 (20 tooth layshaft)
Battery Schumacher GP 3300.
Stiff topdeck.
Tires: takeoff 27, Medium blue insert on revlite 24mm rims.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:43 PM
Tech Regular

springs looks heavy and the oil looks light ? i dont know a thing except that tredition has it the other way around !
Old 05-06-2003, 10:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

associated silver is their second softest spring...

30 weight 2 hole piston is not overly light, and i have seen other team drivers using this combo, even 3 hole 30 weight...

this combo works very well on un prepped asphalt tracks with rubber tires, its not suited for carpet or high bite VHT or sugar water.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:15 PM
Tech Regular

thanks i was not trying to sound like i know anything i was thanking the spring was strong my understanding on setups is still young and i just thought that you was running on a tighter track with fome tires i need to take more attention in what im reading and saying!!! but i might try lighter oil i run shumacher soft blues with 50 waight this might help next time i run thanks!
Old 05-07-2003, 09:54 AM
Tech Regular

Question: With the Reedy Race right around the corner, I was thinking about spools (locked front diffs). With the front diff locked solid, do you really want to run any acherman in the steering? Since the inside tire will have to break traction (since it is running a shorter arc than the outside tire) since it cannot slip with any diff action or one way, running no acherman should keep both tires hooked up better. Does this make sense? I'll be experimenting at the track this weekend to find out, but I'm looking for any other opinions. Thanks...
Old 05-07-2003, 04:37 PM
Tech Adept

is any one else having problems with the grey belts braking all the time i broke 3 belts last night or is there a bad bunch cause i am runing stock and i can see them wearing out but should not brake new belts
Old 05-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 264 (100%+)

Only had a rear break in mod.. Never broke a front. How tight is your belt tention?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.