R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-17-2008, 05:37 AM   #24481
Tech Initiate

yea!, well maybe not half a second more like 0.2 but thats still alot,

I highly recommend the TRF shock absorbers, they give the car a more 'even' feel to it, hard to explain, a more consistent feel to it.

- Randy Casternator
Can you put the TRF shocks on your car next time you go racing?
Kirby Masterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:01 AM   #24482
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I would have never guessed the TRF shocks......Randall if you do try shoot me some feedback on it dude
Old 01-17-2008, 08:16 AM   #24483
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
dang! Why don't you people tell me this stuff!! I can gain a half second by using TRF shocks?

Seriously? Dude, youre way out in left field with your Tamiya shocks.
andrew at even .2 sec per lap faster, you would be running at dumas speed. If I were you I would spend the $100 for the set of shocks. pretty cheap to be going that fast.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:31 AM   #24484
Tech Champion

$100.00=.2 seconds??? I don't see the value there?

Other than beating Dumas

Quote:
Originally Posted by theisgroup View Post
andrew at even .2 sec per lap faster, you would be running at dumas speed. If I were you I would spend the $100 for the set of shocks. pretty cheap to be going that fast.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:38 AM   #24485
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey21 View Post
$100.00=.2 seconds??? I don't see the value there?

Other than beating Dumas
well i did not say beating dumas, but to be able to run along side dumas = Priceless. lol

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:45 AM   #24486
Tech Champion

That would be priceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by theisgroup View Post
well i did not say beating dumas, but to be able to run along side dumas = Priceless. lol
Old 01-17-2008, 08:57 AM   #24487
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey21 View Post
What model JR is that if you don't mind sharing your secrets?
Its the JR Z590M. Not the fastest thing around, but reliable and quick enough.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:04 AM   #24488
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
THe Servo Darside mentioned is too slow to give top performance. You want a .10 sec. transitime or faster for sedans. Any slower and you really notice it in quick lock to lock tranistions in tight sections of a track.
"Too slow" is a matter of opinion. I'm a club racer, and I assume anyone asking a question like that is also a club racer. And at the club level, most (if any) club racers wont notice the difference between the Z590M's .15 sec transit time, and a .10 transit time. But what they will notice is the price difference between a $39.99 servo and a $90-$120 servo.

When I offer out advice like that, I know there are plenty of people who can come along and suggest the high dollar stuff, but its also important that people know there are other options.

I have high speed/high dollar servos too(both clock in at .08 sec), but I haven't noticed enough difference between them and a .15 sec servo, to say they are 'must haves'. Not at the club level.

Just a glimps at why I said what I said to him.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:20 AM   #24489
Regional Moderator

On the topic of the shocks. I personally prefer the Mi3 shocks by far. When AdrianM did his build of the Mi3, he said 'just fill them and close them, thats it' and I had to do a double take. He said to just wait and see when the car came out.

Sure enough I had never seen shocks build up that easy and that smooth. I've always heard how great the TRF shocks were. I've used them on my TC before, and I use them on my mini now(just to stay TCS legal), but I've never been all that impressed with them. In fact, when I had them on my last TC, I replaced them with Losi's JRX-S shocks.

When I think of shock quality and ease of use, for me it goes like this.

Schumacher Mi3 shocks
Team Losi JRX-S shocks
Tamiya TRF shocks

But feelings about the best shocks vary from pit space to pit space. Schumacher should try making the Mi3 shocks in a more nuetral color just to see how many they could sell to other racers as a replacement for other companies shocks.

One thing I am sure of though, is none of these are giving me .5 sec a lap advantage!
Old 01-17-2008, 09:57 AM   #24490
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

.2 to .5 second a lap... uh, I doubt it.

For ease of use and quality, I like that list, but I put the Serpent RCC shocks above all of those. With the Serpent shock tool, they are the easiest shock to build I have ever touched—and I've used all three of those others on that list.

But there is no way that TRF shocks will improve the car .2 seconds a lap over the stock Mi3 shocks—which are just as good, if not better than the Tamiyas.

You may be feeling a difference in piston hole size, rebound or bladder material, shock oil or some other difference, but there is no way that apples to apples there is a time difference like that on track.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #24491
Tech Elite

With an extre .2 sec. I could run with Randy. Strange to think that changing shocks would do that. Isn't that why all these companys do all this research and design? Shocks are so tuneable that you should be abel to make any shock work. But I guess that might take some time and a quick fix is usually in order for the lazy man. I just do what Randy tells me.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:17 AM   #24492
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby Masterman View Post
yea!, well maybe not half a second more like 0.2 but thats still alot,

I highly recommend the TRF shock absorbers, they give the car a more 'even' feel to it, hard to explain, a more consistent feel to it.

- Randy Casternator
Can you put the TRF shocks on your car next time you go racing?
.2 seconds sounds pretty amazing, but I dont think it's the TRF shock itself that makes that difference.

Since day 1, I have run Tamiya bladders, the first set of Schumacher bladders I got just didn't fit into the cap all that well and I couldnt get the air out of the shocks. My roommate is a TRF driver so I asked for some bladders to see if they would solve my problem, they worked, and that's the reason behind that. I'm just used to the feel now so I dont want to change from a Tamiya bladder.

If I'm not mistaken the Tamiya piston has a rounded edge, and the Schumacher piston has a square edge, this will change the dampening a bit as the small amount of oil that can pass around the edge of the piston will change. So even if you are running identical size piston holes, you will still have a different feel.

The Tamiya shocks also include a thick red sponge to go above the bladder. Generally this will give quite a bit of rebound. Our shocks don't include anything above the bladder, and have very little rebound in stock form. This will change the speed that the car transitions in.

I don't think it's the TRF shock itself that is faster on the track, because I can build a Schumacher shock with Tamiya internals and basically have an identical shock. However if you still want me to try a TRF shock, I can put them on the car and see if I can tell any difference.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:20 AM   #24493
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by POUNDITRACING View Post
With an extre .2 sec. I could run with Randy.
Don't lie! lol
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #24494
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
.2 to .5 second a lap... uh, I doubt it.

For ease of use and quality, I like that list, but I put the Serpent RCC shocks above all of those. With the Serpent shock tool, they are the easiest shock to build I have ever touched—and I've used all three of those others on that list.
Those Serpent shocks sound interesting. I've never used them. The last time I used a Serpent shock was when they were inlcuded back on the Corally C4 and C4.1 touring cars!
Old 01-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #24495
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to justin lessard

Tamiya shocks have rebound,ours dont unless you use a rebound foam,maybe the .2 is from the effect of the rebound of the Tamiya shock?..More traction
justin lessard is offline   Reply With Quote