Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 01:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

ImpactPlayr....Ok the whole castor thing is a tricky subject. One thing that I have noticed on the Schumacher cars is with the large amount of castor that they have stock IE:6 to 12 deg when the wheels turn and the suspension is compressed like in a corrner there is about a 2 deg camber gain depending on the pos. of the upper arm and ball stud. Ok so normaly more castor will help with mid corner and exit but with this car you get increased camber gain which will lead to loss of traction in the middle and exit of the corner. I have tried running rear arms in the front and shaved a little off the back side of the front upper suspension mount to take out more castor. Now I can run 0deg castor and up to 12deg of castor. I like the car best with 2 deg castor and 2 deg kick up in the front which is a total of 4 deg of castor. But the way the suspension on our car is designed we get reactive castor with kickup in the front, so this means that the castor will increase as the suspension is compressed.

So what you said about with less castor you feel the car has more exit steering is correct. Because with the lesser deg of castor the camber gain is less which means more grip through the start and exit of the corner.

The way I run my car with so little castor and kick up the car turns in very well and changes direction even better. Now it does not get half way through the corner like it did and it just lack the grip needed to complete the corner.

One thing that I noticed that lead me to what i did was that I was always going through more front tires(rubber) then rear tires. Meaning they were wearing far faster then the rears and they were the same compound and same inserts.
Old 05-25-2002, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 380 (99%+)
Default Castor

So, when I see set-up sheets that say 0, 2, 3, etc degrees of castor, they are running the rear arms on the front? That is the lower arms correct? With the right upper arms?

Jon
Old 05-25-2002, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

FYI...Andrew Cartwright of the NW and driving a Mission is TQ at the Reedy race in mod after 2 quals!! Looking good for Schu
Old 05-25-2002, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Default REEDY RACE

Can we get the results on-line anywhere?
Old 05-25-2002, 07:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

not that I know of. Been getting updates from Andrew. He just lost TQ by 2 seconds. 1 more qual tomorrow.
Old 05-26-2002, 01:33 AM
Tech Champion

Jonski....thats correct the only way to get less castor is to use rear lower arms in the front as the stock arms have castor built into the outside where the pivot ball goes.

Yeah lets get some results please...........
Old 05-26-2002, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Default Castor

So, if I run the rear arms up front, what amounts of castor could I get? Pushing the upper arms forward/mid/rear would obtain what amount of castor?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2002, 07:33 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well I tried running my Mission without the sway bars this weekend at the short track. It was much more nimble, but not as predictable.

Did pretty well at both tracks, the car is handling very well, no matter what set up I try! Now I just have to find a way to get some more speed.
Old 05-27-2002, 05:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

I read over in the reedy race thread that the schumacher guys at the race were trying alot of mods....anyone have any info on what the mods were?..pics would be even better...

with the roll centre mod in the front...is it possible to use modified rear pivot blocks?..or must you use the fireblade parts?..
Old 05-27-2002, 11:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Re: Castor

Originally posted by jonski
So, if I run the rear arms up front, what amounts of castor could I get? Pushing the upper arms forward/mid/rear would obtain what amount of castor?

Thanks
good question.

Last edited by BigDogRacing; 05-28-2002 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-27-2002, 11:50 PM
Tech Elite

Hey you guys are going to love this- we made EDITable setup sheets for the Mission- you can make your own to look just like the PROS setup sheets- here's the link- check out our local club's site while you're there.... http://home.midsouth.rr.com/memphisrc/setup.htm

I worked my butt off on this one guys, so if you want to use it on your site, please give credit to the club. Thanks.

Hey Adrian- I might let you guys use this one.... my agent will call you...
Old 05-28-2002, 12:17 AM
Tech Champion

Big Dog....thats not totally correct if you see Jonski was asking about the rear arms in the front which will reduce the amount of castor. The rear arms do not have castor built into the outside where the pivot ball goes like the front arms do. So the amounts of castor will be different also the position of the rear arm in the front will naturally be a little further back in any position then the front arm. This is do to the where the pivot ball goes on the rear arms is positioned more towards the rear of the car...if you follow what Im saying. So the amounts of castor if you used the rear arm would be different then if you used the front arm.

Jonski.....I have to measure the amount of castor with a stock upper bulkhead as the one on my car is shaved to reduce castor even more. When I get a chance to do this I will let you know.
Old 05-28-2002, 05:26 AM
Tech Elite

Oh, sorry Jonski, I wasn't paying attention to the fact that you were asking about the rear arms... my bad
Old 05-28-2002, 06:53 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

BigDog: whats the difference between your EDITable sheets and just entering your settings onto Schumacher's blank setup sheet in Word then renaming it and saving it? My sheets end up looking just like the pro sheets you can download off of Schumacher's site, except with my name and settings.

Last edited by Darkseid; 05-28-2002 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-28-2002, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Well, I personally like the quick reference sheet where you can see the postions marked on teh graphics- and it looks cool too. But in your case, I think you should use the Word version since you seem to like it so much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.