Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Power Capacitor to gain acceleration >

Power Capacitor to gain acceleration

Power Capacitor to gain acceleration

Old 07-07-2004, 10:56 AM
Tech Initiate

OK, well, I'll try looking up the manufacturer... an ESR meter is probably more than I need right now.

I did go ahead and try them last night-- I definitely got a performance boost on my Quantum Competition 2 in my XXX-S, but a smaller one on my Novak TC2 (in addition to the one it already has) didn't do much. I'll be trying larger ones next week...
Old 07-11-2004, 05:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Hi guys,

I just read this whole thread and have decide to buy myself a capacitor.

Im still confused as to which one ill need, i race stock if thats any help...

I had a look at a local electronics store's website (Australian) but the only 10000uf caps they have a rated at 47 volt. They do have 4700uf caps rated at 16 volt would this be the one to choose?
Here is some info on it

HERE!!!!

Also the price seems to be alot cheaper than what you guys pay over there, is that because its a totally different to the one you have over there?

Any help would be appreciated
Old 07-11-2004, 03:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Don't see low ESR mentioned, it's probably the wrong type?
Old 07-12-2004, 02:48 AM
Tech Addict

Actually that's the normal price at good electronics store for cap of this capacity and voltage. The ripple current number is pretty low and points to high ESR but that changes with frequency.
Check the ESR and if it's low buy it. You could also buy 2 and connect them in parallel (+ to + and - to -) that halves the ESR and doubles the capacity so you'd have 9400 uf.

Last edited by andsetinn; 07-12-2004 at 04:41 AM.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:57 AM
Tech Addict

I found a "chart" that lists worst case ESR numbers for capacitors. I've personally measured new capacitors with ESR numbers that are less than 1/6 of what is given in this chart so there is a big difference between manufacturers and individual capacitors. Also ESR rises with age, capacitor that has been subjectet to high heat and lot of work, can have more than ten times higher ESR than new in couple of years.

ESR chart

Here is list of capacitor manufacturers

Oh yeah. What is ESR? The most simple explanation I've seen is that higher ESR number slows down the capacitor.

Last edited by andsetinn; 07-12-2004 at 04:46 AM.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I don't understand........explain it to me as if you're talking to a dummy (when it comes to this...I am)......

I had a 4,700 uf 10v capacitor for my Cyclone TC. Was it a good capacitor or should I buy another one? What kind should I get?

Old 07-13-2004, 03:02 AM
Tech Addict

Well, if you don't have it anymore you definately should buy another. Buy one just like it.

You sound like you haven't read all the posts in this thread. Please do that. I can't recommend any special capacitors for you because I don't know what capacitors you can buy locally. You must take the specifications that have been written here repeatedly (uf 1.000-10.000, V=>10, ESR =<0,05ohm) go to the nearest electronics store and ask what they have that fits.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

I bought a 10000uF cap from www.digikey.com

10volts....

0.015ohm @ 20ºC/100kHz

I also purchased a 15000uF, I know that the resistance is a little bit higher but the manufacturer doesn't show the resistance on the datasheet....anyway, i'll try this one to see if the higher capacitance is worth.....
Old 07-18-2004, 04:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by andsetinn
Well, if you don't have it anymore you definately should buy another. Buy one just like it.

You sound like you haven't read all the posts in this thread. Please do that. I can't recommend any special capacitors for you because I don't know what capacitors you can buy locally. You must take the specifications that have been written here repeatedly (uf 1.000-10.000, V=>10, ESR =<0,05ohm) go to the nearest electronics store and ask what they have that fits.
I've already read the entire post, but when you talk ESRs, it threw me off. Novak doesn't sell the capacitor I had, and they mentions that you should use a specified capactior (as if we listen) . I put the ESC supplied cap into my car, and I can tell you, I am not satisfied at all (680 uf, 16v). I went to the Novak site and they don't even come close to the one I had for sale.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by andsetinn

I've already read the entire post, but when you talk ESRs, it threw me off. Novak doesn't sell the capacitor I had, and they mentions that you should use a specified capactior (as if we listen) . I put the ESC supplied cap into my car, and I can tell you, I am not satisfied at all (680 uf, 16v). I went to the Novak site and they don't even come close to the one I had for sale.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Ok as per my post above i bought a cap, but im assuming it does have a high ESR...

The guy at the shop didnt even know whati meant by ESR..

My question is, if this cap i have does have high ESR will it cause any damage to my ESC or anything else?

And why are high ESR caps not as good as low ESR?

here are the details that are on the cap i bought

Brand- SAMXON
4700uf
10v
105 degree's C8

This is the info the shop has on it

Thanks guys
Old 07-18-2004, 06:09 AM
Tech Addict

Default Mrolla, Looks right to me

The wrong one will not hurt your ESC. I think it says .028 ohmresistance on the web page.

GundamWzero,

I don't know how much you expect to gain, there is no magic part that will turn your car into a rocket or put you in the A main.

The right one only helps a little. Some for acceleration, some for glitching especially in 4 cell.

I use a 4,700 uf 16 volt .020 ohm cap, and when I turn on my car with out a pack in it, the steering servo moves as if it had a battery in it. zzzzzzzt. Digikey PN 10264-ND. you could go to a 10 volt cap.

Now that I run power caps, my glitching problems have gone away. I can feel improved acceleration in the off to 1/2 throttle range. I don't expect anything in the full throttle area except maybe from a standing start because the voltage will not drop as much.

Sure you could run two 10,000 uf in paralell, but the weight and size would negate any bennies from them.

Last edited by David Root; 07-18-2004 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:33 PM
Tech Regular

Has anyone tried a Ko Propo Hyper Booster?

I would guess you would add this inaddition to the Cap. I was wondering if it works with other escs or is it only usable for VFS & KSC type controllers?

Coop
Old 07-18-2004, 09:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Coop:

Hi,

I run two of the KO Hyper boosters on my stock motor/GT7 with no problems. (along with two of the Novak large caps). seems to work great so far (indoor/carpet/foams).
Old 07-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Tech Adept

I bought a 10,000uf capacitor, and im wondering if it is legal for races... It really doesnt mention about it in the rules... Please let me know. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.