R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-21-2004, 06:39 AM   #16
Tech Master
 
Tempest2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Smyrna, TN
Posts: 1,590
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

thanks tres... a lot of the info in there is correct... the data speaks for itself though
Tempest2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 07:22 AM   #17
Tech Elite
 
jeffreylin's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Traction Roll!
Posts: 2,564
Default

I think the capacitors does one thing--it prevents my transponder from cutting out under full throttle.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 02:56 PM   #18
Tech Elite
 
popsracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: "Hot, Sunny Southern California"
Posts: 3,120
Default Power Capacitor to gain acceleration

Guys;

Your arguments remind me of the Global Warming and Ozone Depletion theories.

Each one has Scientists on complete opposite sides of the issue, with mountains of data to support their particular viewpoint.

All I can say is, if you're running (in Stock) without a Big Cap, try one and you WILL notice a difference.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 03:13 PM   #19
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,828
Send a message via AIM to True R/C Racing
Default Re: Power Capacitor to gain acceleration

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
Guys;

Your arguments remind me of the Global Warming and Ozone Depletion theories.

Each one has Scientists on complete opposite sides of the issue, with mountains of data to support their particular viewpoint.

All I can say is, if you're running (in Stock) without a Big Cap, try one and you WILL notice a difference.
hey, Im Running stock/19turn With Quantum Competition Can you show me a Link With a Cap I can Buy. My Esc does not have the Worlds Upgrade Kit.
True R/C Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 03:16 PM   #20
Company Representative
 
Tres's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: WWW.TNT-FX.COM
Posts: 3,403
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

http://www.hobbyshopper.com/page4.html
__________________
Tre's
TnT-Fx Custom Graphics
www.tnt-fx.com
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 03:32 PM   #21
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,828
Send a message via AIM to True R/C Racing
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Tres
http://www.hobbyshopper.com/page4.html
i thought 4700uf @ 10V is what to run?
True R/C Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 01:24 AM   #22
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Tres
http://www.hobbyshopper.com/page4.html
This is $7.
The one in this thread is 2 for $10 for the same one. My friend will be jealous, then I will give him the other one.

I am running a micro with 2/3A's. The other thread said:
"Runing micros I can say for sure that power caps do make a difference, they are especially noticable with batteries that have less output like AAA's that they are with 2/3A's."
This might not be as noticable on subC's.
ratcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 01:31 AM   #23
Tech Adept
 
Brandon R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 146
Default

i found some 4700's for 1.25 but they were at 25 volts...does the voltage even matter? well does 10,000 uf 16v do anything good for anybody? $1.50 each...
Brandon R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 07:15 AM   #24
Company Representative
 
Tres's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: WWW.TNT-FX.COM
Posts: 3,403
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

any cap won't work...
The capacitors we use have a VERY low ESR value....

There are other ratings for capacitors than just Farad & Voltage value...

What is ESR?
ESR is an abbreviation for Equivalent Series Resistance, the characteristic representing the sum of resistive (ohmic) losses within a capacitor. While ESR is undesirable, all capacitors exhibit it to some degree. Materials and construction techniques used to produce the capacitor all contribute to the component's ESR value. ESR is a frequency dependent characteristic, so comparison between component types should be referenced to same frequency. Industry standard reference for ESR is 100kHz at +25C. Power dissipation within the capacitor, and the effectiveness of the capacitor's noise suppression characteristics will be related directly to the ESR value
__________________
Tre's
TnT-Fx Custom Graphics
www.tnt-fx.com
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 10:15 AM   #25
Tech Elite
 
popsracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: "Hot, Sunny Southern California"
Posts: 3,120
Default Power Capacitor to gain acceleration

Quote:
Originally posted by Brandon R

i found some 4700's for 1.25 but they were at 25 volts...does the voltage even matter? well does 10,000 uf 16v do anything good for anybody? $1.50 each...
Brandon R;

The HIGHER the voltage rating, the LONGER the Cap will take to charge/discharge (At the voltage we use). There is a very small, but noticable difference when using 10V over 16V Caps.

Ideally a 7.5 volt Cap would be great, but I think the next step down is at 5 volts and electronics like to make LOUD noises when pushed past their voltage/current limits.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 10:17 AM   #26
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,828
Send a message via AIM to True R/C Racing
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Tres
http://www.hobbyshopper.com/page4.html
pops would that be good for stock/19turn? with a Lrp quantum?
True R/C Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 10:49 AM   #27
Tech Adept
 
Brandon R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 146
Default

pop, thanks for the info...learn somethin new every day! But at the speed of electricity what kinda time are we talkin about "longer to charge"? What is 1 Farad? Would it be ok to have a 2.5 volt supercapacitor? Says has extremely low ESR. I have a electronics book that has a TON of capacitors in it and nothings near teh voltage yall are talkin about...there are some 10 and 16 volts but they are low except for that one that is 10,000. The only 4700uf is 25 volt
Brandon R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 10:58 AM   #28
Company Representative
 
Tres's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: WWW.TNT-FX.COM
Posts: 3,403
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

1 Farad = 1,000,000uF
__________________
Tre's
TnT-Fx Custom Graphics
www.tnt-fx.com
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 11:32 AM   #29
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Tres
any cap won't work...
The capacitors we use have a VERY low ESR value....

There are other ratings for capacitors than just Farad & Voltage value...

What is ESR?
ESR is an abbreviation for Equivalent Series Resistance, the characteristic representing the sum of resistive (ohmic) losses within a capacitor. While ESR is undesirable, all capacitors exhibit it to some degree. Materials and construction techniques used to produce the capacitor all contribute to the component's ESR value. ESR is a frequency dependent characteristic, so comparison between component types should be referenced to same frequency. Industry standard reference for ESR is 100kHz at +25C. Power dissipation within the capacitor, and the effectiveness of the capacitor's noise suppression characteristics will be related directly to the ESR value
What is a good low ESR for a 10,000uF capacitor?
ratcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 01:32 PM   #30
Tech Adept
 
Brandon R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 146
Default

ok would it be ok for the capacitor to be 2.5 volt?
Brandon R is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power Capacitor simba350 Australia Wanted to Buy 9 06-04-2006 04:53 AM
Bad Power Capacitor??? 2BAD4ALL Electric On-Road 4 11-24-2004 11:59 AM
Power Capacitor johnbull Electric On-Road 31 05-22-2003 08:27 PM
How to gain on power steering? fatdoggy Electric On-Road 37 04-25-2003 04:57 PM
power capacitor - TC3 Brazilian Electric On-Road 11 01-12-2002 08:24 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:39 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net