R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to LocalRacer83 Send a message via Yahoo to LocalRacer83
Default Help Tekin esc and cogging

I just recently purchased a tekin system. I hooked it up to my motor Novak ballisitc 13.5 and calibrated the throttle, setup the esc with the new 203 software. here are my setting. Drag 35, throttle profile 4, boost 50, turbo 10, rpm range 4500- 10000. delay .1 and ramp is set at 2. All the motor and esc wires including the sensor wires are connected correctly and are not touching. When I go to run the car it coggs and and stalls at the start. The esc does not get hot and the motor does not get hot when this happens. I have reclaibrated, resetup the esc, and went over the installation guide. How can i identify whether this is the motor, esc, or user error? Both esc and motor are new. Please help. Thanks
Old 01-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
Tech Master

Sensored motors don't cog so it's not that. I'd say it's the drag kicking in if you are just easing on the throttle. Try and have zero (most do these days).

It could also be a faulty sensor wire. If you have it all connected and roll the car forward by hand, the end 3 led's should faintly glow in sequence. That's the ESC picking up the sensor positions. If that doesn't happen it may be a faulty sensor wire.

My car just hit 88mph. I hope it comes back soon....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
Tech Elite

try reload the software by going back to 200 or 198 and then re install 203.
Also reduce boost and increase timing delay.
Make sure to recalibrate the esc to radio after all settings are done.
also check and make sure you have brushless/forward selected.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalRacer83 View Post
I just recently purchased a tekin system. I hooked it up to my motor Novak ballisitc 13.5 and calibrated the throttle, setup the esc with the new 203 software. here are my setting. Drag 35, throttle profile 4, boost 50, turbo 10, rpm range 4500- 10000. delay .1 and ramp is set at 2. All the motor and esc wires including the sensor wires are connected correctly and are not touching. When I go to run the car it coggs and and stalls at the start. The esc does not get hot and the motor does not get hot when this happens. I have reclaibrated, resetup the esc, and went over the installation guide. How can i identify whether this is the motor, esc, or user error? Both esc and motor are new. Please help. Thanks
You should try downgrading to 198 and back to 203 as they've already suggested first but I'm thinking that you have too much timing dialed in for a 13.5.

Try this if reloading the software doesn't work.

30 boost with about 7000 rpm min and 15000 high. (assuming you're running sedan)

Tune the bottom end punch with motor timing (up=more to a point)

I would start with zero turbo and get the other settings figured out first. You probably won't need turbo at all. You'll want a longer delay on the turbo with the new software.

I've only had issues with the new software when I'm trying to run too much timing too early. It can make the car do some pretty funny stuff.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_B View Post
You should try downgrading to 198 and back to 203 as they've already suggested first but I'm thinking that you have too much timing dialed in for a 13.5.

Try this if reloading the software doesn't work.

30 boost with about 7000 rpm min and 15000 high. (assuming you're running sedan)

Tune the bottom end punch with motor timing (up=more to a point)

I would start with zero turbo and get the other settings figured out first. You probably won't need turbo at all. You'll want a longer delay on the turbo with the new software.

I've only had issues with the new software when I'm trying to run too much timing too early. It can make the car do some pretty funny stuff.
+1

You probably have too much timing in your motor. The Ballistic motors have more timing than most. So adding another 50 in the ESC will cause your problems.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

More than likely you have a bad sensor wire or the sensor board in the motor is bad.

Your settings will not make the motor cog as I'm running more than your settings and there's no cogging. On top of that the car is wicked fast.
5280 Raceway
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22nd 2018 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #7
Tech Master

Most Brushless do better with smaller pinion gear. What it your pinion and spur gear you running? Default your setting and start from the beginning.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

is this 2 cell or 1 cell?

also, I would set turbo to 0 and see what happens. my guess is that you have too much timing too fast. youa re basically asking the speedo to put 60 degrees in the motor at the pull of the trigger with your .1 delay. and depending out where you have can timing, you are probably at almost 70 at the pull of a trigger. I am surprise the dang thing is not going backwards.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theisgroup View Post
is this 2 cell or 1 cell?

also, I would set turbo to 0 and see what happens. my guess is that you have too much timing too fast. youa re basically asking the speedo to put 60 degrees in the motor at the pull of the trigger with your .1 delay. and depending out where you have can timing, you are probably at almost 70 at the pull of a trigger. I am surprise the dang thing is not going backwards.
Fred B was not running turbo, and this was happening to him. If you didn't know better, you would think he was waiting for the rest of the racers to catch up. For his main, he ran my Tekin redline 13.5, and installed his novak dataloger,, and at one of his "pauses" it showed the motor turning 89,000 rpms. We're still debating this,,, since the dataloger reads the rpm's at the sensor cable.

Steve McGeorge
Mac The Knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

does this happen without the data logger?

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #11
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

The Novak Ballistic series has a lot of physical timing in the motor. You've got two choices here: Turn the motor all the way down and see if the cogging goes away or improves. 2nd is to reduce timing boost and turbo by 10 each.

Cogging like this is too much timing too soon. If you've got the motor timed up, and your start rpm is pretty low AND your running a turbo delay of less than .4 that will get you TOO much timing TOO soon.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:18 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
I have a Novak ballistic 17.5 Timing set at N and I ran, throttle profile 5, boost 50, turbo 0, rpm range 1500- 6000. delay .1 and ramp is set at 2, 1cell lipo rollout was around 75mm

the car was fast. no stalls or clogging

Gorden
Old 01-11-2010, 04:06 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:

It runs fine if he is holding his car in his hand (no load), but the minute he sets the car on the ground and pulls the throttle it doesnt go anywhere.

I thought it might be his sensor wire or too much timing.... but didnt you adjust the timing Ben ?

** Team Xray - Team Novak - Proline - Sorex - KO Propo - Team Trinity **
bluephi1914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:40 AM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to LocalRacer83 Send a message via Yahoo to LocalRacer83

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluephi1914 View Post
It runs fine if he is holding his car in his hand (no load), but the minute he sets the car on the ground and pulls the throttle it doesnt go anywhere.

I thought it might be his sensor wire or too much timing.... but didnt you adjust the timing Ben ?
I did more adjustments to the esc last night and it seemed to be doing ok. I reduced the timing to 40 (instead of 50) and moved the turbo to 0 ( it was at 10). I did nothing to the motor. Currently Im having no cogging issues ( I assume it was too much timing). The FDR is 7.8 right now and seems to pull hard. Motor is ab 140 degrees after 6 min. Does anyone know if the track at nexus is big enough to take advantage of the turbo? and if so what should the delay be set to? Next week ill try adding 5 turbo and seeing what it does. RPM range is set to 4500-10000 is this sound ab right for a medium size track?
Old 01-11-2010, 05:53 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Quick question for Tekin team

Is v 4.0 all I need to download to be up to date? I mean is it the same thing as v203 (or whatever is the latest version?)

Thank you very much.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote