R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkride View Post
So the Ballistic motor has adjustable timing and the SS Pro does not?
No you can adjust the timing on both.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:09 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
No you can adjust the timing on both.
OK, thanks. I didn't see anything in the instructions or information on the Novak site about adjusting the timing on the SS Pro.

"If God had meant for us to drive through the front wheels, he never would have allowed us to invent the ring & pinion"
kwkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #18
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkride View Post
OK, thanks. I didn't see anything in the instructions or information on the Novak site about adjusting the timing on the SS Pro.
Loosen the screws on the sensor side of the endbell (dont have to remove them) and turn the colored ring, left to advance right to retard. Well not really retard, they come with 30 degrees of timing from the factory, so zero is actually 30.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trerc View Post
Loosen the screws on the sensor side of the endbell (dont have to remove them) and turn the colored ring, left to advance right to retard. Well not really retard, they come with 30 degrees of timing from the factory, so zero is actually 30.
Thanks a lot, I appreciate the information!

"If God had meant for us to drive through the front wheels, he never would have allowed us to invent the ring & pinion"
kwkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Immo Send a message via Skype™ to Immo

VERY NICE!!!!!!!
Immo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #21
Company Representative

Here is Steve's response to a couple of the timing questioned asked above:

Quote:
The range of timing adjustment on the SS motors is limited and somewhat inconsistent. We set the timing to approx 30 degrees as we currently do on the ballistic. Your "average" range of adjustment on the SS series of motors was from about 15 to 45 degrees... This is the reason why we made the timing label on the ballistic reflect these particular values.

Some SS motors will not allow for this amount of adjustment however: the tolerances among the stator, rotor, and sensor could build up in either direction to allow for more than a total of 45 degrees possible or less than 45 degrees possible.

Performance differences between the SS and Ballistic teardowns is generally attributed to differences in rotor strength, but there is one design attribute that differs between the SS and ballistic that may also contribute to the difference in performance: The air gap between the sensor assembly and the rotor itself. This gap is relatively small on most of the SS series of motors and was increased on the ballistic motors. When tested on the dyno this difference in air gaps to the rotor resulted in changes that were similar to running different timing values. A bigger gap acts like more timing whereas a smaller gap acts like less timing.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #22
Company Representative

Here is a technical article from our website, a trouble-shooting guide:

Trouble-shooting TeamNovak's One Touch™ Speed Controls

It includes a lot of useful tips on installation and speed control set-up; a good reference to check out and keep handy.

This is the link to our Technical Reference Index---for your reading enjoyment.....

TeamNovak Technical Reference Index
Old 01-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #23
Company Representative

Default Ballistic Sensor Harness Removal

Updated: 1.12.10

In order to ensure that the replaceable sensor harness doesn’t easily fall out of the ballistic motor accidentally, the end bell was designed to snuggly retain the end of the sensor harness in its connector.

As such, removal of the harness requires special attention so as to not damage the harness itself.

1. It is advised to note the timing setting on the motor.
2. Using a 1.5 mm wrench, loosen the three flat head screws holding the end cap and sensor assembly in place.
3. Once loosened, grasp the sensor harness as close to the connector as possible.
4. Gently “walk” the sensor harness connector out of the motor’s connector by wiggling the connector side to side.
a. NOTE: You may need to pull up slightly on the harness as there is a small lip on the endbell that may impede the removal of the sensor harness connector in certain circumstances.
5. Once the harness is removed, it can easily be replaced at this point.
6. Next, retighten the three 1.5 mm screws in the end cap, ensuring that the timing setting is set to where it was noted before the sensor harness removal process was begun.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Sweet tips! Thanks.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Immo Send a message via Skype™ to Immo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
We have been discussing both a Havoc 2S/Ballistic 25.5 "combo" and a Havoc Pro/Ballistic 25.5 "system". Systems are soldered/wired/tested together; combos are just sold together in separate packaging.

The pricing for these additional offerings would not be as attractive as the Havoc 2S/SS Pro 25.5 system (@129.99) which we are offering to keep the entry cost down for both new guys interested in getting involved in the USVTA, and for anyone else racing on a budget.
Any idea when/if this is going to happen?
Immo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:22 AM   #26
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I like the ballistic combo offering as for those of us who also run offroad, we can just do a stator swap and have a new motor, keeping costs down that way. When the rules of USVTA were changing, that was why I went with the ballistic now as other than my daughters using the slower 21.5 to learn how to control the cars, no other class really uses them out here.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:20 AM   #27
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immo View Post
Any idea when/if this is going to happen?
I will have pricing for these items next week.

We are temporarily back-ordered on the RMF Havoc 2S esc, but we are getting more delivered to inventory.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:43 AM   #28
Tech Legend

yeah, found that out when I ordered beginning this week. Said would be 1 week wait time.

For items like this with little weight (ordered 2 havoc RMFs), does novak usually ship via priority mail or is it all going UPS ground?
Old 01-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #29
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
yeah, found that out when I ordered beginning this week. Said would be 1 week wait time.

For items like this with little weight (ordered 2 havoc RMFs), does novak usually ship via priority mail or is it all going UPS ground?
I will check; however, I think that all store shipments go UPS so we can provide the UPS tracking info to customers.

Cain, if you want, you can PM me your name and shipping info and I will check the status of your order.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #30
Tech Legend

thanks. sending a PM now